‹ Prequel: Just Go With It
Sequel: I Could Never Pretend
Status: Completed

Nothing Is Ever Simple

Friends?

JOHNNY

Johnny shuffled from foot to foot as he waited outside the hotel. He had not smoked in months but the impending arrival of Amelia was making him nervous. They had spoken briefly a few weeks ago when Amelia had finally returned his emails. She had told him that she did not want to lose his friendship and that she was willing to put the past behind them and start again. Johnny thought this was incredibly gracious of her as he had not expected her to want to see him again, never mind remain friends.

It was starting to get dark outside and the blur of car headlights was giving him a headache. Realising how stupid he would look standing outside the hotel to welcome them, he slipped quietly back inside and made his way to the bar, confident that it would probably be the first port of call if Bam and Ryan had anything to do with it.

Jeff, Steve, Chris, Dave, Preston, Ehren, Wee-Man and some of the crew were already assembled around the bar, laughing at something. It was the first time they had all been reunited since Bam and Amelia's wedding, which meant there was bound to be some kind of trouble tonight.

About fifteen minutes later Bam and Ryan appeared in the bar but Amelia was nowhere to be seen. Johnny, Jeff and the others welcomed their friends before Jeff noticed that Amelia was missing.

"She's just freshening up." Bam explained, rolling his eyes and ordering a beer.

"That means she'll be down in a few hours." Ryan chuckled as they found themselves seats.

Johnny smiled with the others but inside his stomach was churning. He was keen to get the awkward conversation between them out of the way so that they could get on with the takeover. He tried to join in the banter with the others but Jeff at least could tell he was distracted.

It seemed Ryan's prediction had been correct as nearly y an hour had passed and Amelia had still not made an appearance. A few of the guys were mentioning that they wanted to go into town for food and the clubs but Johnny was really not in the mood.

"Nah guys I'm gonna pass on this one. Gotta get my beauty sleep." He grinned, pointing to his face.

The others laughed at his bad joke and bid him goodnight as they got up to leave.

"Aren't you gonna fetch Amelia?" Johnny overheard Ryan say to Bam as they were waiting for the others.

"Nah, she's probably asleep. I'll drop her a text." He replied, patting Ryan on the shoulder and ushering him out of the bar.

Johnny waited until everyone had left before standing up and stretching. It was nice of Bam to ditch his wife like that, he thought bitterly, making his way to reception.

"Hi there." He flashed his best smile at the lady behind the counter. "My friend Bam Margera is expecting me upstairs but for the life of me, I can't remember his room number."

The women bought it completely and stammered, "Room 340 Mr Knoxville, on the fourth floor."

"Thank you so much." He replied, still smiling and with a cheeky wink he turned on his heel and walked away.

Being an attractive movie star did have his benefits, he thought to himself, running a hand through his greying hair.

Johnny took a deep breath as he found himself standing outside room 340. He knocked three times and stood back, wondering whether or not she was awake. Sure enough after a few seconds he heard the sound of the door unlocking and Amelia appeared before him. She blinked her eyes and rubbed them slightly as if she had been asleep and couldn't tell if she was still dreaming. Her hair was a mess and her makeup had smudged and she was still wearing a huge baggy jumper, jeans and a pair of converse but to Johnny she looked absolutely beautiful.

"Hey Amelia." He smiled.

"Johnny." She replied, as if she was still not quite sure if she was awake. He tried not to laugh as her mouth dropped slightly, realising how she must look.

"Did I wake you?" he laughed.

"It's alright. I didn't mean to fall asleep." She told him, holding the door open for him to enter. He followed her as she made her way to the bed and sat down.

"The others have gone into town for food. I thought I'd see if you wanted anything." He said, getting to the point and avoiding any awkwardness.

"Oh right." She said quietly, looking quite put out that Bam had not come to find her. She scooped her long hair into a loose ponytail and attempted to wipe away some of the stray mascara below her eyes.

"I can call a cab if you want to meet them?" he suggested, fiddling with his phone.

Amelia stared at him silently for a few seconds and Johnny remembered that this was the first time they had seen one another since the wedding. Perhaps she was surprised by how normal he was being. He had surprised himself.

"I'm not really feeling going out." She admitted, gesturing to her appearance. "But I could definitely do with some food." She added with a smile.

Johnny grinned. "Room service?"

Amelia's eyes lit up at those two words. Johnny knew how much she loved ordering room service. "Only if you'll join me?" she put a hand on his arm gently.

"It'd be my pleasure." He grinned, trying to contain his excitement.

"Great. But can we go to your room? This room is a tip and I don't feel like unpacking anything right now." She told him.

"Sure." Johnny smiled, but he couldn't help wondering if she was more worried about Bam coming back.

Once they were in Johnny's room they ordered room service and made themselves comfortable in front of the television. Although everything seemed fine between them, Johnny realised he was going to have to say something, just to set things straight.

"I've missed you Meels." He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "I don't want to spoil tonight but I need to tell you face to face how sorry I am for that mistake."

"It's ok Johnny." She cut him off, taking his hand. "We all make mistakes. You're my best friend and nothing in the world could change that."

Johnny smiled and pulled her into a big hug.