‹ Prequel: Just Go With It
Sequel: I Could Never Pretend
Status: Completed

Nothing Is Ever Simple

The Morning After

AMELIA

There was only six hours of the takeover left but Amelia had no intention of sticking around. She had spent the past hour hiding away backstage from both Bam and Johnny. She was in no mood to see either of them following their stupid fight. She hated the thought that she had caused it all. She had never wanted this; to cause tension amongst the group. Jeff had insisted that she had no reason to feel guilty and that it was just Bam and Johnny being dicks as usual.

This did not change Amelia’s mind however, and she left early with Steve. It was daybreak but Amelia could barely keep her eyes open as the taxi dropped them off at the hotel. Not wanting to be alone, Amelia had persuaded Steve to let her stay in his room for a while. She was in a trance as Steve led her through the lobby and into his room. She collapsed onto the bed without even taking her shoes off.

Amelia was woken by Steve’s raspy voice in her ear. “Meels, wake up.”

Amelia lifted her heavy eyelids open and found herself staring into Steve’s big brown eyes.
“Bam wants to know where you are. Everyone’s worried.” Steve explained. “I told them you’re with me and your okay, but I didn’t say we were at the hotel cos I figured you needed some space.”

Amelia simultaneously groaned at the mention of her husband’s name and smiled, happy to have Steve on her side. She pulled herself up into a sitting position and rubbed her eyes until her makeup was thoroughly smudged. She looked around the room and noticed that the other side of the double bed had also been slept in. She laughed at the idea of sharing a bed with Steve. He was standing over the bed wearing nothing but a towel and she giggled as her eyes scanned over his tattoos.

“Yeah dude, you’ve slept with Steve-O!” he joked, reading her mind.

Amelia stuck her tongue out playfully, glad that she was still wearing her jeans and jumper and then realised that Steve must have taken her shoes off and put her under the covers. She smiled and glanced at her watch. It was two in the afternoon. The show had finished a few hours ago. Remembering the events of the night before made her stomach churn and her facial expression must have matched this as Steve sat down on the bed next to her and offered out his arms for a hug.

“Thanks Steve.” She whispered as she felt his arms embrace her tightly.

He rubbed her back. “Everything will be ok Meels. I’m going for some food, wanna join me?”

Amelia shook her head as they pulled away from one another. “No thanks, I think I’m going to take a shower.” She smiled.

“I’ll grab you a coffee.” Steve winked as he jumped off the bed, pulling his towel off as he walked away from her.

“Steve!” she exclaimed, throwing her hands up to shield her eyes. She heard him giggle and then the door slammed shut. Everything was silent but for the vibration of her phone. She heaved a sigh and dragged herself out of bed and straight to the bathroom. She knew she should let Bam know where she was but she figured he could stew for a little while. Confident that Steve would not be back for some time, she stripped out of her clothes and turned on the shower.

While the room filled with steam she examined herself in the mirror. Her hair was a greasy matted mess and her eyes were black with smudged mascara. Her skin was pale and uneven making her look peaky and she was sure that under the mascara she would have bags beneath her eyes. Despite having lost most of her baby weight she did still did not feel comfortable in her own body.

She stepped under the shower and let the hot water wash over her. It was a welcome relief and as she inhaled the steam she could feel the confusion in her mind evaporate. In fact she was devoid of any thoughts, losing herself in the sensation of the water hitting her body. She closed her eyes and could feel her body starting to relax. She was blissfully unaware of the hotel door room swinging open and it wasn’t until there was a light rapping in the bathroom door that she was awoken from her trance.

“Steve? Is that you? Did you forget your clothes?” she laughed, remaining under the shower. When Steve did not reply she became a little worried. “Steve?” she called. “Quit trying to scare me will you!”

Thinking she must have imagined the knocking she turned her back on the bathroom door and began lathering her body in soap. It was then that she became aware of another presence in the bathroom. She turned around expecting to find Steve there and preparing to scold him she was taken by surprise to see the blurred figure of Johnny. She was too shocked to move and realised to her deep embarrassment that he would be able to see her whole body, the shower door only slightly maintaining her modesty.

“Johnny? What the fuck?” she yelled when she came to her senses. “I’m trying to shower!”

“I can see that.” He said. She detected a slight giggle in his voice.

“What do you want?” she demanded, trying to cover her body with her arms.

“I wanted to talk to you. To apologise.”

“Well you picked a great moment.” She groaned. “Can you give me two minutes to get out of the shower?”

Amelia wrapped the towel around her, safe in the knowledge that Johnny was now waiting in the bedroom. She ensured her towel was safely fastened and rubbed her hair dry before returning to the bedroom where Johnny was sitting on the end of the bed, cleaning his sunglasses. She could tell he was trying to ignore the sight of her in the towel but it was ridiculously short so she smiled and grabbed one of Steve’s t-shirts.

“How did you know I was here...Steve...” she began as she pulled the shirt over her head.

“I saw him in the lobby.” Johnny interrupted, quick to divert any blame from Steve-O.

“Oh,” was all Amelia could reply. “So what did you want to talk about?” she asked, flopping down beside him on the bed. She had not forgotten that she was pissed off with him for fighting with Bam, but she did not have the energy to fall out with him now.

“I’m sorry for fighting with Bam.” He grimaced, still fiddling awkwardly with his sunglasses. “I was just angry at how he was treating you and jumping to conclusions. Am I not allowed to comfort my friend when she’s upset?”

Amelia nodded but was slightly surprised. What had she expected him to say? There was nothing to it. Johnny had just been looking out for her that was all. Why had she imagined that there was any more to it?

“I appreciate you sticking up for me Johnny but I hate it when you guys fight, especially because of me. I hate feeling like I’ve come between you.”

Johnny took her hand. “Don’t be silly. It was all just a big misunderstanding.” He smiled.

“That’s what it was, a misunderstanding?” Amelia repeated.

“Precisely.” Johnny replied, missing the question in her voice.

Any ideas she had about the kiss on her wedding day was a ‘misunderstanding’. He had said it himself. She might have felt something for Johnny back in the studio but it was a ‘misunderstanding’. She wished Johnny could not see her face as she fought back tears. She felt so stupid for thinking anything else. How could she have taken Steve seriously? She was always going to be Johnny’s friend. She was married to Bam for god’s sake.

“So you forgive me?” he gave her his best puppy dog eyes and she hit him playfully on the arm.

“With eyes like that? How could I resist?” she grinned in spite of herself, a newfound sense of calm was radiating through her body now that she and Johnny had cleared the air.

“Now if you don’t mind I’d like to get dressed Knoxville.” She laughed, standing up to find her clothes.

“I won’t peek.” He teased as she returned to the bathroom. “You want to hang out today?”

“Sure, give me half an hour?” she shouted back through the door, imagining the sight of Johnny rolling his eyes. The sound of the other door swinging open signalled the return of Steve. Amelia stepped out of the bathroom with a toothbrush sticking out of her mouth.

“Steve! Thanks for locking the door earlier.” She shouted sarcastically. “I’ve had Knoxville perving on me all day. Oh hi Pontius!”

Chris laughed as Steve pulled his most effective innocent face and shrugged his shoulders as if he had no idea what she was talking about.

Half an hour later, Amelia was ready to face the day, or at least what remained of it.

“Has anyone seen or spoken to Bam yet?” she wondered as she and Johnny headed downstairs into the lobby.

“I don’t know. Everyone else is still asleep.”Johnny replied quietly.

“I guess I’m in his bad books then.” She sighed, accepting a cigarette from him as they left the hotel.