‹ Prequel: Just Go With It
Sequel: I Could Never Pretend
Status: Completed

Nothing Is Ever Simple

16.

JOHNNY

Johnny and Amelia spent what was left of the day at Central Park. One of the perks of filming the takeover in New York was that they got to explore the city. Amelia had not spent much time there since her first ever meeting with Jeff.

They bought takeout coffee from Starbucks and sat on a bench, reminiscing. In a few weeks it would be the end of October and the weather in New York was unforgiving. Amelia was wrapped up in hat, scarf and gloves looking very cosy, while Johnny wished he’d had the sense to pack warmer clothing. He shivered as he sipped his coffee and they watched the tourists flocking in front of them.

“Did you speak to Bam after I left this morning?” Amelia asked suddenly, changing the subject.

Johnny nodded silently, warming his hands with the polystyrene cup. He didn’t really want to talk about Bam today but it was obviously playing on Amelia’s mind. “I apologised to him.” Johnny shrugged.

“You did?” Amelia seemed surprised.

“We had a show to film and Jeff was having a breakdown. When all’s said and done I was wrong to hit him.” Johnny replied, resting his chin on the cup.

Amelia did not respond and stared out across the park. Johnny wished he could read her mind. He would have loved to know what she was thinking at that moment but his day dreaming was interrupted by the sight of a familiar figure making its way across the park towards them.

The looming figure of Jeff Tremaine approached them and he took a seat beside Johnny. “Well, the show was a success you’ll be pleased to hear. I’m as surprised as anyone but I think we should move on and focus on jackass world now.” He rambled, earning strange looks from both Johnny and Amelia. They nodded hesitantly, wondering what they owed this unusual visit to.

“Steve told me I’d probably find you guys here.” Jeff explained, as if reading their mind. He seemed a little anxious, which was unusual when there was no filming taking place.

After sitting in silence for a few moments, Jeff cut to the point. “PJ, can I have a word?” Jeff asked as subtly as he could, but Johnny knew that Amelia would be suspicious of Jeff’s use of Johnny’s real name.

“Sure.” Johnny replied, glancing at Amelia. “I’ll be right back.” He told her, standing up and following Jeff. “What’s up Jeff?” he asked pointedly.

“Are you ok dude?” Jeff asked, digging his hands into his pockets. Johnny knew there was more to it than a simple, ‘how are you?’

“I’m fine Jeff, what’s all this about?” Johnny raised an eyebrow. He could Jeff really didn’t want to have this conversation with him.

Jeff fidgeted before finding his words. “Come on dude, I’m not dumb and I have not forgotten what went on with you and Bam last night.”

Johnny sighed. “I apologised to Bam if that’s what you’re here for.”

Jeff scratched the back of his neck. “Well that’s great but what exactly did you apologise for because we all know that Bam was in the wrong last night, and I’m hazarding a guess that you didn’t tell him about kissing Amelia at the wedding.”

“What the fuck Jeff? How did you...” Johnny trailed off, his eyes wide and shocked at the information Jeff appeared to possess.

“I saw you.” Jeff shrugged, staring at the ground uncomfortably. “I was keeping an eye on you all night cos I could tell you weren’t right. I watched you walk across the grounds with her and everything that happened next.”

Johnny felt sick to his stomach. If Jeff knew it would make it harder to pretend the kiss had never happened and harder to forget his feelings for Amelia. If Jeff had seen them then who else had?

“Knox, our flight leaves in a couple of days. I know Bam and Amelia have their problems but you’ve got to let them work it out themselves. Otherwise it’s going to bite you in the ass. ”

Johnny nodded, understanding what Jeff was trying to tell him, to give Amelia space and leave her and Bam to it. “You’re right Jeff.” He sighed, running his hands through his hair in frustration. Standing here in front of his best friend and business partner Johnny started to realise what an idiot he had been. He might not have been chasing after Amelia in the literal sense but he really did need to back off. The scene in the office had been too close for comfort and as much as he loved spending time with Amelia he needed to put some distance between them and make sure that they never found themselves in a position like that again. All of a sudden he couldn’t wait to get back home to LA and busy himself with work and Madison.

Jeff slapped him on the back and they embraced in a manly fashion. “Drinks on me at the bar later.” Jeff told him sincerely, before waving to Amelia and heading back across the park.

“What was all that about?” Amelia asked as Johnny returned to the bench.

Johnny shrugged it off. “Just guy talk.”