‹ Prequel: Just Go With It
Sequel: I Could Never Pretend
Status: Completed

Nothing Is Ever Simple

New Year's Eve

AMELIA

Johnny had planned on spending a quiet New Year’s Eve with Madison and his special guests but word had travelled fast that Amelia was in town and Steve, Chris, Jeff, Dimitry, Wee Man and their girlfriends had invited themselves over to celebrate. Although Amelia was worried about what they would think of her presence in Johnny’s house she was sure that they would have a good time.

The day before, Amelia had borrowed Johnny’s car and taken Madison into town to buy outfits for the party. Amelia had chosen a short black, figure hugging dress and a pair of black boot shoes to go with it and now as she slipped it on before the party she felt happy and confident, determined that the night would be great. She blow dried her long hair and curled it into tumbling waves that cascaded over her shoulders and now almost reached her lower back. For the first time since Christmas she applied more make up than simply mascara, and when she was finally ready she made her way down to the party where everyone was waiting for her.

No one seemed to think much of Amelia’s being there in LA rather than Westchester, or if they did they were quiet about it, for which Amelia was incredibly grateful. She caught up with everyone and made small talk, happy to be around familiar friendly faces. Amelia was finally introduced to Chris and Jeff’s long term girlfriend’s Claire and Laura, both of who seemed lovely and incredibly patient with their other halves, much like Amelia must have appeared when she was with Bam. Having never met before they seemed a little confused that she was in fact Bam’s wife and not Johnny’s girlfriend.

“Long story.” She laughed, her eyes betraying her smile.

Steve brought along his current girlfriend but seemed more interested in drinking than in her. Then again, so did she, so perhaps they were the perfect match. She was pretty in a fake, Hollywood Botox kind of way.

Johnny, although reluctant at first to have a party, was in his element as the host. Amelia did not have a problem looking after Brandon as Claire and Laura fawned over him all night. Amelia grimaced as they expressed their shock at how young she was to be married with a child. They were both approaching their thirties and Amelia felt uncomfortably young. She was relieved when it was time to put Brandon to bed, hoping that the conversation would move away from her life.

Despite his protests, Amelia finally got Brandon to settle but she was ambushed on her way down the stairs by Jeff.

“Shit Jeff! You scared me!” she laughed, touching his arm to steady herself.

“Sorry Amelia, I didn’t mean to make you jump.” He chuckled. “I just wanted to make sure you were ok. It took me by surprise when you turned up at the offices the other day.”

Amelia nodded and decided she owed Jeff some kind of explanation. “I’m fine I just…need some space.” She proceeded to explain the situation with Bam.

Jeff listened intently and wrapped an arm around her in comfort. “Bam’s a dick Amelia.” He sighed. “You know there will always be a job for you at Dickhouse.”

“Thanks Jeff.” She smiled, her eyes shining.

“No, I’m serious Amelia. I need someone like you around. Whatever happens with you and Bam, I could do with you around. Don’t forget that.” He pulled her into a bear hug but Amelia thought he seemed a little preoccupied.

“Are you ok Jeff?”

“Yeah I’m fine. I’m just…it’s Knoxville. Normally I wouldn’t get involved but I’m worried about him. He has a lot on his mind and it’s driving me insane. You need to talk to him. I think it would help both of you.”

Amelia frowned and was about to question Jeff when Johnny appeared at the foot of the stairs, wanting to know what was keeping them. Jeff looked pointedly at Amelia before making his way back down the stairs. She smiled innocently at Johnny and followed after Jeff.

The party was in full swing and midnight was fast approaching. Amelia was enjoying herself but she could not stop thinking about what Jeff had said. As if reading her mind, she felt Johnny’s hand on her shoulder as he joined her in the kitchen where she was refilling her glass.

“Meels, can we talk?” he asked, startling her. His eyes were wide and he seemed nervous.

“Uh, sure.” She replied and followed him out of the back door.

His huge garden was illuminated by the outdoor light and the trees were reflected in the gently rippling pool water. She loved LA. Even in the depths of winter it was warm enough to sit outside without a coat. They took a seat on the decking and Amelia smoothed down her dress, waiting for Johnny to speak first. He had seemed his usual lively and outgoing self only a few minutes ago but now he had gone quiet and almost awkward.

“I have something for you.” He smiled nervously when he realised she was staring at him apprehensively. “It was supposed to be for the wedding but I completely forgot to give it to you.”

Amelia’s heart raced as she watched him dig through his pocket and produce a small box. He turned to Amelia and opened the box. She gasped when she saw the dainty golden necklace with a tiny star shaped pendant.

Johnny smiled, passing her the box. “I wanted to get you something special. You’re my best friend after all. I should have given it to you ages ago but I guess the night before the wedding wasn’t really the right moment.”

Amelia tried desperately to keep her tears inside as she took the necklace in her hand and Johnny approached her. “It’s beautiful PJ.” She smiled softly.

“Just like you.” He nudged her slightly and held out his hand. “Here, I’ll put it on.”

Amelia realised she was still wearing the necklace that Bam had given her for their first Christmas together. She had never stopped wearing it. She held up her hair to bare the back of her neck for Johnny as he stepped behind her and crouched down so that he was level with her. He fastened the necklace gently around her neck and it fell perfectly just beside Bam’s silver heart.

Johnny’s hand lingered on her shoulder and he leaned over and pressed his lips to her neck ever so softly. Amelia sat perfectly still and held her breath as she closed her eyes. She could feel his hot breath against her skin and she willed him to kiss her.

“Amelia.” He whispered, not moving his lips away.

“Mmhm?” She murmured, keeping her head still. Her heart was threatening to break through her rib cage at any given moment and her rapid pulse was making her feel dizzy. Her stomach resumed its somersaulting as she waited on baited breath for what came next.

“I’m in love with you Amelia.” He continued to whisper and she was more aware than ever than of his soft hand on her shoulder and his hot breath on her neck.

She remained silent and in shock, not sure if she had heard him correctly as he let his hand drop and pulled away from her. Amelia turned her head to watch him return to his seat opposite.

“There’s no point beating around the bush or trying to deny it anymore. I love you Amelia. I always have and I always will. I’m fucking crazy about you and kissing you at the wedding might have been a mistake but I don’t regret it. I can’t think of anything but you. You’re my best friend and I’m sorry but I love you Amelia Jones.”

Amelia’s jaw dropped as he spoke at a fairly rapid pace and she tried to take in everything he was saying. She wasn’t sure if she was shocked or if she had suspected all along, but hearing him say those words out loud still came as a huge surprise. She couldn’t seem to find her voice and Johnny was looking worried. She didn’t really know what to say. Her best friend had just admitted that he was in love with her. And she felt the same way.

“Please say something Amelia, even if it’s just to shout at me please just say something. Tell me what you meant in that email? I need to know how you feel.”

Amelia looked into his desperate eyes and she knew that it was now or never. “Johnny, I love you too.”