‹ Prequel: Just Go With It
Sequel: I Could Never Pretend
Status: Completed

Nothing Is Ever Simple

Fireworks

JOHHNY

Amelia looked into his desperate eyes and she knew that it was now or never. “Johnny, I love you too.”

“You do?” Johnny exclaimed. He was not sure if he had heard her correctly, but she nodded slightly.

“I’ve been so blind. It’s taken me all this time to realise and accept it but I love you. I don’t really know how to explain it, but when I’m with you everything seems so much better. It just feels right.” She pulled her hands through her hair as if she was frustrated. “I can’t believe I’m telling you this. I still don’t understand it myself. I don’t know how to feel or what I’m supposed to do. All I know is that I am in love with you PJ.”

Now Johnny did not know what to say. He was stunned by her revelation. Never had he truly thought that she would ever feel the same way. He was ten years older than her with a teenage daughter, an ex wife and a ridiculously hectic movie career, and now there they were, both declaring their love. If only it could be that simple. Johnny was about to ask her what happened next but she cut him off.

“I’m having such a good night Johnny. I don’t think I could be much happier right now so let’s not dwell on the impossibility of the situation. I just want to see in the New Year with you.”

Who was he to argue? He nodded silently and they smiled nervously at one another, both wondering what would happen now. Johnny could hear a commotion from inside the house and realised that it must be nearly midnight. He nudged Amelia as the others started to make their way into the garden. Chris and Steve had set up some fireworks to let off when the ball dropped and everyone was gathering outside to watch. Amelia and Johnny stood up and joined the group as Steve swaggered across the garden to light the display.

Chris started a countdown from twenty and Johnny slid his arm around Amelia, gently pulling her closer to him. The fireworks were lit by the count of five and Steve hurried back to stand with his girlfriend. As they reached zero the fireworks exploded and Chris yelled “Happy New Year!” to everyone. The couples embraced and Johnny glanced down at Amelia.

“Happy new year.” He whispered.

She smiled nervously so he leant down and pressed his lips against hers for what felt like the first time now that they both knew how the other truly felt. He put his other arm around her waist and pulled her even closer to him. Amelia responded by putting her hands around his neck and kissing him back a little more forcefully.

Johnny didn’t care if anyone was watching or what they thought. He had never been so happy to see in the New Year. The fireworks flying through the night sky matched those going off in his stomach as Amelia deepened the kiss. They pulled apart as the last firework fell to earth in a sprinkling of ash. The others seemed not to have noticed the exchange between them, or if they had they were graciously overlooking it for the evening. Amelia and Johnny continued to grin nervously as they accepted a glass of champagne from Jeff and made their way around to exchanging hugs and kisses with the other guests.

Johnny was sure to embrace Madison first but he earned a mischievous grin from his daughter as he kissed her on the cheek, leaving him with the impression that she at least had witnessed the kiss although she did not say as much. He looked at her questioningly but she simply winked and walked off to continue the party inside with the others.

Now that his feelings for Amelia were finally out in the open, or at least to her, Johnny felt much better than he had in a long time. He drained his champagne glass quickly and watched as Amelia whispered something in to Steve’s ear. Steve glanced over at Johnny and grinned insanely, earning him a smack on the arm from Amelia.

Johnny waited for Amelia to catch up with him before returning inside. He had so many thoughts and ideas running through his head; so many questions that needed answering, but Amelia had been right. They should enjoy the night and deal with what came next some other time.

Enjoying their night was not difficult when they had Steve and Chris around to provide entertainment. Their close group of friends continued to turn a blind eye to the fact that Amelia and Johnny seemed a little closer than ‘just friends’ that night.

The next day Johnny woke up with Amelia in his arms for the third time that week and he was not complaining. He was, however, not overly impressed with the banging headache and distinct feeling of nausea he was experiencing thanks to the copious amount of alcohol he had consumed the night before. All it took was one glance down at Amelia to know she was feeling just as bad.

“Can we pay Madison to babysit today?” was the first groggy sentence she spoke to him, her head feeling particularly heavy on his shoulder.

“I’m sure she won’t mind.” Johnny tried to chuckle but it hurt his head.

“Good, because I don’t think I can get out of bed. That wine really did me in.” She moaned, turning her head to face his bare chest.

“I’m glad I’m not the only one feeling rough.” He sighed, closing his eyes again and nuzzling her hair.

Johnny started to drift off to sleep again when the bedroom door creaked open. He opened one lazy eye to see his daughter standing in the doorway.

“Madison.” He croaked.

“Somebody had a good night.” She joked, appearing frustratingly cheerful and lively considering the late night she had had. “I brought you some painkillers”

Johnny smiled appreciatively as she threw the packet of pills towards the bed. Madison had seen him like this plenty of times and although he was well aware that he was not setting the best example for her, he was glad she was sensible and took after her mother. “Don’t suppose you fancy babysitting for the day do you squirt? “He added before she left the room.

“I figured I would be doing that today.” She grinned. “You both drank a shit ton last night. Oops sorry. I mean, you both drank lots last night. But I don’t mind. I like looking after Brandon.”

Johnny laughed as his daughter forgot herself. He knew spending time with the jackasses was a bad influence on her but she loved them so much and they all loved her. “Thanks Mads. Love you.”

“Love you too dad. See you later Amelia.” And with that the door was pulled shut and the room went dark again.

Amelia groaned into his chest. “What must Madison think of me? I’m a married woman in bed with her dad.”

Johnny laughed and stroked her arm reassuringly. “Hey, it’s still technically New Year so we’re not dealing with that today, we’re having a good time remember.” He was not quite ready to bring up the discussion of what happened next and preferred to make the most of this time alone with Amelia now that he had admitted his feelings.

“Speak for yourself Knoxville. I can’t say I’d class being this hung over as having a good time.” She grinned, pulling the covers further up around her.

“Well, would you rather be hung over and alone, or hung over with me?” he teased, leaning over to look at her.

“That depends.”

“On what?”

“On how well you look after me.” She smiled and brought her hand back up to his chest, tracing his ‘Madison’ tattoo.

“I’ll do my best.” He saluted her before taking her hand in his own and squeezing it gently. Amelia sighed contentedly.

“Thank you Johnny. I don’t know if I’ve ever actually said it to you before, but thank you so much.”

“For what?” he asked as she looked up at him. Her green eyes sparkled.

“For always being there for me, right from day one when Bam was acting like a dick in that club, and then again when we were shooting Number Two. You were the only person I knew I could turn to when I thought I was pregnant and you were the one who helped me when Bam left. I think deep down I always knew there was something more between us but it was so hard to admit because of Bam and our friendship.”

“Amelia, I’d do anything for you.” He said, holding her tighter. “I love you so much. Yours and Madison’s happiness means more to me than anything in the world.”

Amelia smiled and closed her eyes.