‹ Prequel: Just Go With It
Sequel: I Could Never Pretend
Status: Completed

Nothing Is Ever Simple

Boys' Night Out

JOHNNY

Johnny had been looking forward to tonight all week. It had been several months since he had seen any of the guys, and now that Steve and Chris were back in the country he was keen to catch up with them. The guys he was working with on his latest project were sound, but not on his wavelength like the Jackass bunch. Johnny stripped out of his clothes and made his way to the bathroom in his boxer shorts. Without being too vain about it he was aware that he had a good body and was lucky that he could drink as much as he liked and not spend all his time in the gym. Johnny flicked on the shower and let the bathroom fill with steam before stepping under the water.

Johnny examined his face critically in the mirror. His five o’ clock shadow alerted him to the fact that he was in desperate need for a shave and as he scratched his stubble he was sure he could see a few specks of grey. The black rings under his eyes were becoming more prominent from his continued lack of sleep. The makeup artist on set was a miracle worker. Johnny ran a hand through his unwashed hair and decided he needed a haircut. At thirty five he was beginning to look and feel his age. He knew a lot of men at his age had settled down and were in happy families. Where was Johnny? He could have had all that with Mel and Madison but he had to go and fuck that up. Now he was back where he started, or at least as good as.

He spotted Chris and Steve the moment he entered the bar. This was predominantly due to the fact that his friends were both already so wasted that they were standing on tables, necking pints faster than the bar man could pour them. Johnny shook his head, so much for a quiet casual chat. Chris made eye contact with Johnny from across the bar and jumped down to greet his friend. Steve-O followed suit and Johnny was surprised to see that they were not as drunk as they had appeared.

“Knoxviiiiiille!” exclaimed Steve, embracing Johnny. “It’s been too long!”

“I know man.” Johnny laughed, allowing Chris to lead the way to a free table. “How’s the new show going?”

“Brilliant dude, it’s fucking awesome!” Steve grinned. He and Chris had just finished shooting a new Jackass spin off with Jeff and the rest of the crew entitled ‘Wildboyz’. Johnny was pleased things were going well for everyone since the last movie; even if he was a little sad they weren’t all together. He was still concerned about Steve’s drug and alcohol problems but the last thing he wanted to do was bring that up now while they were having a civil drink and conversation

“So how’s things with you Knoxville?” asked Chris, punching his arm.

Johnny laughed. “Same old, same old. You two?”

Chris and Steve updated Johnny on their respective love, or rather sex lives, and talk soon turned to the impending takeover of MTV.

“It’s going to be fucking insane.” Steve grinned, his eyes glowing wildly. “I can’t believe they’re letting us do this!”

“I know right!” Chris smirked. “We’re gonna get away with so much shit with it being live, they won’t possibly be able to cut everything.”

Johnny laughed at his friends’ enthusiasm and felt excitement build up in his stomach about being reunited with whole cast and crew, and of course, Amelia.

As if reading his mind, Steve-O changed the subject. “Got a chick?” Steve wondered aloud.

Johnny shook his head. What was with everyone’s concern over his love life recently? Even his ex wife Mel had told him he should start dating after he had dropped Madison off last weekend.

“Nah, I’m thinking of going celibate.” Johnny joked, in a half hearted attempt to fool two of the closest people in his life.

Chris and Steve-O knew full well this was a lie. What Johnny didn’t realise was that since confiding in Jeff about his feelings for Amelia, Jeff had been talking to Chris and Steve. It wasn’t that Jeff had intended to let slip about Johnny’s secret, but they had been drinking and one things had led to another. Johnny was lucky that Steve and Chris were good enough friends to keep this to themselves. They had not been surprised to learn of his feelings, considering the amount of time he and Amelia spent together when they were filming.

Steve and Chris nodded, not at all convinced by Johnny’s attempt at nonchalance. It was time to change the subject. Chris disappeared, leaving Johnny and Steve talking about the takeover and returned with three pitchers of a dubious looking liquid. If there was one thing Johnny had learnt in life it was to drink first and ask questions later.

Later on an extremely intoxicated trio of men stumbled from the taxi into Johnny’s apartment. The bars had all but closed so Johnny had taken it upon himself to host the after party at his place. Johnny had always seen himself as a good laugh and always up for a party, but Chris and Steve gave partying a whole new meaning. Despite being only a little older than the two of them, Johnny almost found himself struggling to keep up. Back at his apartment, on went the music and out came the whiskey. The drinks continued to flow heavily and inevitably out came Steve-O's video camera. Chris and Johnny were coerced into filming Steve perform ludicrous stunts for his own personal satisfaction.

By the early hours of the morning the drink had had a considerable effect on Johnny and thoughts of Amelia had began to infiltrate his mind once again. He wondered if she was really happy with her new life. He briefly considered confiding in his friends, still totally unaware that they already knew. However, Chris was raiding Johnny’s fridge while Steve- O lay back on the sofa, semi concious. Maybe tonight was not the right time.