‹ Prequel: Just Go With It
Sequel: I Could Never Pretend
Status: Completed

Nothing Is Ever Simple

Not So Perfect Timing

RYAN & ROSE

Ryan and Rose pulled up outside Johnny’s house, just as a blonde woman walked out of the front door, followed by Madison and Johnny. Their flight had landed less than half an hour ago and they had made their way straight to Johnny’s house, hoping to see Amelia before it was too late. Rose had tried to ring Amelia to let her know that they were coming but her phone kept going straight to answer phone.

“Who’s that?” Rose asked, staring at the blonde woman curiously as they waited in the car until Johnny’s guests had left.

“His ex wife, Mel.” Ryan explained which seemed to satisfy Rose. “Do you think Amelia’s still here?”

Rose shrugged slightly and glanced at the house. “I hope so. It’s going to be one hell of a wasted trip if we’ve missed her.” She wondered how they would explain their presence to Johnny if they had missed her. It would be awkward to say the least.

Ryan nodded in agreement. “So how are we gonna approach this?” Ryan turned to look at his girlfriend, hoping she had some grand plan. They had both already acknowledged the fact that they had rushed into the trip to LA. The phone call from Terri was not proof that Bam had actually cheated on Amelia, even if it was highly suspicious.

Once again Rose shrugged. “I really don’t know. ‘Hey Amelia, we think your husband’s cheating on you’?”

Ryan shook his head and lit a cigarette as they waited for Johnny, Madison and Mel to say their goodbyes. “Do you think anything happened?”

Rose returned her gaze to Ryan. “What do you mean?” she frowned.

“Between Amelia and Johnny.” Ryan reminded her, exhaling a smoke ring.

“Oh. I don’t know” Rose sighed. “I know Amelia and she would never go behind Bam’s back but that doesn’t mean they haven’t talked about their feelings and stuff.” Rose trailed off, fixing her hair in the mirror.

“Would she leave Bam for Johnny?” Ryan asked, trying not to think what it would mean for the relationship between the guys should Amelia leave Bam for any reason.

“I have no idea. I didn’t even know she felt this way until the other day. Maybe it’s just a temporary thing.” Rose said before she took a drag from his cigarette.

Ryan shook his head. “No. I always knew she felt something for him. It was so obvious whenever they were together. Bam must have picked up on it too. He used to get so jealous.”

Rose sighed. “This feels like such a mess. I wish I could make everything right for her.”

Once the jeep had pulled off and passed them on the drive, Ryan swung his door open and started walking to the house. Rose grabbed her handbag and hurried to keep up with him and they caught Johnny before he shut the door. Suffice to say he was more than a little surprised to see them.

“What are you guys doing here?” he asked, looking at each of them with a puzzled expression. His eyes looked puffy and if Ryan didn’t know his friend better he would have thought he had been crying.

“We came to see Amelia…and you.” Rose added laughing a little and not wanting to seem rude. She too had noticed his eyes and it troubled her.

“Well you just missed her. Bam’s been and gone.” Johnny told them bluntly, turning his back on them and walking back into the house.

“What?” Ryan exclaimed as he and Rose followed Johnny inside.

Realising he was not going to be able to shake off these visitors; Johnny led them to the living room and resumed his position on the sofa, complete with a bottle of beer. “They left a couple of hours ago. You guys have really bad timing.”

“So she just left with him? Did he apologise or explain himself?” Rose asked, frowning.

Johnny took a swig of beer and shook his head. “She just left. She said she was going to go back anyway.” He shrugged carelessly. Rose frowned. Why had Amelia not told her of her plans?

“What’s going on between you and Amelia?” Ryan asked, narrowing his eyes at Johnny.

“Absolutely nothing.” Johnny replied truthfully, despite how much he wished for the opposite.

Rose and Ryan exchanged glances. “But she came all the way over here to see you.” Rose scratched her head. She wanted to ask if Amelia had told him how she felt but she thought she had better not put her foot in matters. Despite the blank look on Johnny’s face, the emptiness in his eyes told her that everything Ryan had said on New Year’s Eve had been true. Even if he wouldn’t admit it or show it, the guy was clearly cut up about Amelia leaving and it made Rose feel sick to think that Amelia had gone back with Bam so easily.

“And now she’s gone home with her husband.” Johnny said with a bitter edge to his voice. “Are you two gonna explain why you’re really here?” He couldn’t shake the feeling that they had some ulterior motive. Ryan had never turned up unexpected in his life.

Rose sighed and ran a hand through her hair in the same way Johnny had seen Amelia do hundreds of times when she was frustrated. “Well, we came to warn her that Bam might be on his way but that didn’t exactly go to plan.” She looked hopelessly at Ryan for reassurance. “And we think Bam might have hooked up with one of his old girlfriends.”

Johnny turned to look at them, showing the most emotion since they had arrived. “What?”

Ryan explained the phone call from Terri and the implications regarding Bam’s history. Johnny swore under his breath. “That little bastard.” The anger in his voice did not change the emotionless expression on Johnny’s face.

“We wanted to confront Amelia with the truth face to face.” Ryan added. “It’s not going to be easy for her to hear something like this.”

Johnny did not say anything and Ryan and Rose exchanged worried glances. This was not how they had expected him to react. “I know how you feel her about her dude.” Ryan reminded him, as if prompting him to say or do something. But however Johnny felt about the situation, he did not let it show. Perhaps she was wrong and he did not really have romantic feelings for Amelia, or perhaps they had had an argument, Rose wondered.

After an awkward few minutes of silence, Johnny sighed loudly. “Look you two, I don’t know what Bam’s done or anything that’s been going on in Westchester but Amelia just came to stay with me for a few days to get some space and now she’s gone back home with her husband. If he really has been cheating on her then I will be here for her as ever but until she needs or wants my help I’m staying the hell out of this all.”

Johnny was not prepared to spill his heart out to Bam’s best friend and Amelia’s sister. Mel had only just given him a lecture on how he should go after Amelia, and while he appreciated the sentiment, he wanted some time alone to dwell on his thoughts and work out where his life would go from here.

Ryan and Rose sat awkwardly, not knowing what to do or say next. They understood Johnny’s feelings but where did that leave them?