‹ Prequel: Just Go With It
Sequel: I Could Never Pretend
Status: Completed

Nothing Is Ever Simple

Steve

JOHNNY

Amelia was gone and Johnny was getting used to the return to normality. It felt as if a part of him was missing, as if a huge piece of his heart had been ripped out, but he was beginning to accept that the sick feeling in the pit of his stomach would remain with him for a long time. That would teach him for getting carried away and imagining that there could ever be a future for him and Amelia. She was married to Bam and that was the end of it. The fact that he had heard nothing from his friends in Westchester suggested that Bam had not actually cheated on Amelia and that Ryan and Rose had got a little carried away. There was no point in losing sleep about it.

In an attempt at distraction, Johnny immersed himself in work and when he was not in the offices annoying Jeff, he was attending as many casting calls and auditions as he could fit into his day. He had never pushed so hard for a part in his life, but the hard work was paying off and Johnny had finally landed himself the leading role in a new film that was due to start filming very soon. Even more exciting was the fact that he would be returning to his home state of Tennessee for the majority of the filming. He had a feeling that this was exactly what he needed to take his mind off everything that had happened recently.

He wanted to ring Amelia and tell her the good news but soon realised that this would be defeating the point. They both needed some space in order to get their heads back to normal, so he resisted the temptation to get in touch and instead, only told Jeff about his upcoming adventures. Until filming started, Johnny continued to spend the majority of his waking time at the Dickhouse offices.

“PJ. I’m beginning to get sick of the sight of you.” Jeff shook his head when he walked into the Dickhouse building early one morning and found Johnny already hard at work in their shared office.

“Nice to see you too Jeff.” Jonny laughed, looking up from his laptop screen only briefly.

“Did you even go home last night?” Jeff wondered aloud, sinking down into his chair opposite Johnny.

Johnny shrugged and grinned, telling Jeff all he needed to know, but he could not really argue with Johnny. At least he was spending his time productively rather than moping around the house. He also seemed to be in much better spirits than he had been in a while. How much of this was down to his talent for acting, Jeff was not sure but he decided the best thing he could do was to let Johnny get on with it.

After a few hours of messing around with the others and generally not getting much work done, Johnny and Jeff both received worrying emails from Steve-O. Over the past months Steve’s drinking and drug habit had been rapidly spiralling out of control. His desire to be the centre of attention was taking over his life and his email rants were becoming darker and more disturbing.

“Something needs to be done.” Johnny sighed finally after rereading the latest email for the third time. He ran a hand through his greying hair. He was really worrying about his friend’s safety and there was a high potential that Steve might really hurt himself.

Jeff nodded in agreement. “But what? The guy’s a loose cannon.”

They had discussed the possibility of getting Steve into rehab a few months ago, but they knew there was no way that he would go of his own accord. “We’ll have to use force.” Johnny reasoned, referring to their plan of getting him to rehab. “I’ll get in touch with Dimitry and the others. We’re gonna need some help.”

“I’ll ring his family.” Jeff added.

Several phone calls were made and before they knew it, Johnny and Jeff had instigated their plan to pounce on the unsuspecting Steve in his apartment later in a few days time, just before Johnny flew back to Tennessee. Dimitry, Rick, Cordell the sound guy and Trip were on board but Jeff could not help feeling that someone was missing.

“Do you think we should call Amelia?” he asked Johnny tentatively, not wanting to reopen Johnny’s healing wounds.

Johnny shrugged. He knew that Amelia would want to know and should be told, but he did not want to be the one to do it. If she was prepared to fly back to LA to see Steve, Johnny didn’t want her intentions to be tainted by the fact that it was he who had called her. Reading his mind, Jeff picked the phone back up and Johnny tried to ignore his anxiety as he listened to Jeff fill Amelia in on the situation.

“She’s coming.” Jeff announced finally, returning the phone to its position on the desk and leaning back in his chair. Johnny nodded casually but his poker face was not fooling Jeff at all. He knew full well that seeing Amelia again so soon was not going to help his friend, especially if Bam flew out with her, but they had to focus on the issue at hand: Steve. And when all was said and done, Johnny would be on his plane home the day after their intervention so there would be no time for feelings to get involved.

Johnny was thinking the same thing as Jeff. He would only have to see her for one day; two at the most and then he would be jetting off to shoot his new film. Amelia was not coming to see him so there was no point in making the situation awkward. They needed to be united in their support for Steve and then they could go back to their separate lives