‹ Prequel: Just Go With It
Sequel: I Could Never Pretend
Status: Completed

Nothing Is Ever Simple

Catching Up

AMELIA

Amelia looked up at Johnny and for a few seconds she imagined what might happen if she was to kiss him there and then. Seeing him again had put her emotions in to overdrive but unable to build up the courage, Amelia looked away and the moment was lost. She put that crazy thought to the back of her mind and hey pulled apart and returned to their seats. Just at that moment Jeff reappeared in the office and pulled up an extra seat at the desk. He looked cautiously from Johnny to Amelia, clearly hoping he hadn’t interrupted anything too important. Amelia and Johnny simply watched him curiously, waiting for him to say something. He seemed more awkward than they did and Amelia tried hard not to laugh.

“So…” Jeff clapped his hands together finally when it was clear no one was going to say anything. “Why don’t you two go grab a coffee? I’m sure you’ve still got lots to talk about and I have a shit ton of work to do.” Jeff laughed, looking again from Amelia to Johnny.

They both nodded and made their way out of the office quickly, leaving Jeff to get on with it. “Did I just get kicked out of my own office?” Johnny laughed incredulously as they entered the staff meeting room.

“So it would seem.” Amelia giggled, taking a seat on the sofa. “You’ve only been back five minutes and already Jeff’s had enough of you.”

“I blame you.” He grinned, nudging her arm gently before he started pouring two cups of coffee.

Amelia relaxed back on the sofa and watched Johnny, trying to avoid grinning like an idiot over the fact that her friend was back. It had been a huge surprise to see him sitting in the office that afternoon, especially as Jeff had been vague on details of when he was due home and Amelia hadn’t wanted to ask too many questions. Her choice to move to LA had been all about what was best for her and Brandon rather than the fact that it was also Johnny’s home. Having him around now was just a bonus.

All had been quiet on the Bam front over the past four months. She had half expected him to try and get in touch demanding to see his son but then again he was probably too busy enjoying his new single lifestyle. Amelia realised that sooner or later she was going to have to figure out what she was going to do with regard to her marriage but she was too busy settling into life in LA and at the age of twenty six she could not imagine going through a divorce. It was all a little bit surreal.

Johnny distracted her from her thoughts by handing her a cup. “You ok?” he grinned. “You looked like you were deep in thought.”

“Yeah I’m fine.” She smiled truthfully as Johnny sat down beside her on the sofa. She shivered as his arm brushed against her and she willed him to sit closer to her. The distance between them although small was incredibly painful. She wanted him to take her in his arms again and kiss her like he had at New Year. Johnny however, kept his distance.

Disappointment washed over Amelia and she sipped her coffee quietly, upset with herself for letting her imagination get carried away just like she had done in the office. Sure, they had declared their love for one another, but that had been months ago and it didn’t change anything did it? She had gone back to Bam, regardless of the fact that it had been a huge mistake, and Johnny had gotten on with his own life. She was incredibly selfish to expect anything more.

They smiled at one another awkwardly. “So how are you finding life at Dickhouse?” Johnny asked, breaking the silence.

“I’m loving it.” Amelia grinned truthfully. “Everyone’s been lovely and I can’t believe how fast these past four months have gone.”

Johnny grinned broadly. “It’s good to have you here.” He put his hand gently on her arm. “Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help you out.”

“Thank you Johnny.” She stared into his eyes and had to blink to avoid getting lost in them. “I was thinking about having a birthday party for Brandon next week. He’ll be two this time next week. I wondered if you and Madison would like to come over to the flat?” She watched him nervously, waiting for his response and aware that his hand was still on her arm.

“We’d love to.” Johnny smiled. “Madison will be so excited to see you again. She loved having you two around at New Year.” Johnny realised what he had said and quickly changed the subject, dropping his hand to his side. “So uh, you wanna hang out sometime?”

Amelia nodded. “Yeah, that’d be nice. It’s been kind of weird being in LA and not having you around.” She admitted.

“Well it’s good to be back and even better to have you here.” He grinned. “Oh and I hope you’re still up for coming to that premiere with me next month.” His eyes twinkled. “You did promise.”

“Of course.” She laughed and they continued to chat about nothing in particular.

“I’m going to head home.” Johnny told her after a while. “I could really use a shower. I guess I’ll see you in the office tomorrow?”

Amelia smiled weakly. “I guess you will.” She replied.

That evening Amelia crashed on the sofa with a glass of wine and Brandon in her arms. For some inexplicable reason Johnny’s return had left her feeling worse about herself than she had since she first arrived in LA to see Steve-O. As she stared at the TV she realised she was crying and she wiped her eyes on the back of her hand. What had gotten into her? Shouldn’t she be glad that Johnny was back?

After seeing him again today at the office she had realised that she wanted to be with Johnny, but it was too late. Things might have been different if she hadn’t left him in January and gone back to Bam like the idiot she was, but now she had missed her chance. She should just be grateful for the fact that she had Johnny back in her life as a friend, she told herself bitterly. Part of her wanted to finally confront Johnny about what they had both said at New Year. She didn’t know how many more mixed signals she could take from him but at the same time she was terrified that she would push him away and she was not prepared to lose him again.