‹ Prequel: Just Go With It
Sequel: I Could Never Pretend
Status: Completed

Nothing Is Ever Simple

Centre of Attention

AMELIA

Since Brandon’s birthday party Johnny seemed to be keeping his distance from Amelia. She wondered if he’d realised that kissing her after the meal had been a mistake. She knew they had both been drunk at the time but she had wanted it to happen and was glad it did. Kissing Johnny was amazing, even after all this time. The idea that he regretted it made Amelia feel incredibly embarrassed and angry with herself, so much so that she hadn’t been able to bring herself to text or call him. The most contact they had had that week was a quick hello when passing one another in the office.

To top it off, Shanna had spotted an article in a celebrity gossip magazine speculating over the split between Amelia and Bam. Apparently Bam had been spotted in compromising positions with several girls back in Westchester and coupled with the photos that had been snapped of Amelia in LA, it wasn’t hard to put two and two together. There was one photo of Amelia and Johnny leaving the restaurant on Saturday night but thankfully nothing had been made of it, Amelia thought examining the caption. ‘Mrs Margera seems to have left Westchester for sunny LA and is seen here accompanied by the couple’s close friend, movie star Johnny Knoxville who must be comforting her through this difficult time’.

“I didn’t realise it was such a big deal.” Amelia frowned, reading over the article again. It was only a hundred words or so but the photographs accompanying the article were what really bothered her. She had no idea that there had been photographers around. She would have to remember to be more careful in future. Being in LA was not like quiet Westchester. She could only be thankful that there were no shots of her in compromising situations with Johnny. That would really have got them going.

“I guess Bam’s show is really taking off so he must be hot stuff at the moment. ” Shanna said. “You know the press will jump at anything involving a celebrity, especially relationship-wise, and the picture with PJ is a given. They love him.”

Amelia nodded. “Nice to know Bam’s out enjoying himself.” She added bitterly, earning her a comforting pat on the shoulder from Shanna.

“It’s not like its big news. It’s probably all over the internet on those gossip column sites, but other than that I doubt people are that interested.” Shanna reasoned, trying to make her feel better.

“Hey Amelia, you’re famous!” Rick shouted, brandishing a copy of said magazine as he strode across the staffroom. Amelia groaned and planted her head on the table. It was bad enough that everyone she worked with knew about her private life, but now the whole world, or at least that which was concerned with Bam and the celebrity culture would.

In an attempt to take her mind off it she had been spending her spare time getting to know Laura and the girls around the office better. It was nice to have some female company after spending the past three or four years playing babysitter to a bunch of grown up kids. Amelia had also been continuing her visits to Steve at least three times a week and she was so proud of Steve for the progress he had made. He had been sober for five months and he was looking good for it.

“I see you took my advice and let your hair grow.” Amelia smiled, running her hand along Steve’s head. “You look so much better with hair.” She thought of how rough and scary he had looked with a shaven head. His eyes no longer had dark rings underneath them and he had put on a bit of weight so that his cheeks did not look so sunken in. He was finally back to his former attractive self.

Steve laughed and batted her hand away. “Yeah I know I’m sexy there’s no need to make a big deal about it!” He exclaimed, picking up his skateboard and proceeding to perform a trick, which he landed perfectly. It was a warm June night so they were outside enjoying the heat. “What’s up Meels? You’ve been miserable all week.” Steve asked after landing a few more tricks.

Amelia sat back on the bench and watched Steve skate, debating whether or not to bother Steve with her own troubles. “He’s avoided me all week.” She sighed. She had already told Steve about ‘the date’ earlier in the week, including the kiss.

“Need I ask who?” Steve shook his head and sat down beside her, resting his feet on his board and rolling it from side to side. He still had the inability to sit still. “I would say that Knoxville’s a fucking dick if it would make you feel better but the truth is you’re as bad as each other.”

Amelia looked at Steve and raised her eyebrows. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Come on Amelia. This is the 21st century. If you like him, which you do, then tell him.” Steve shook his head and held his hands up. “It’s simple!”

Amelia sighed. If only it was that easy, but after suffering one heartbreak with Bam she wasn’t sure if she was ready to put her heart back on the line just yet, especially as she couldn’t be sure how Johnny felt.

“Don’t look at me like that woman. Do you want me to kick both your asses?” Steve warned as Amelia did not respond, his eyes wide and serious. “It’s not as if he’s gonna knock you back. The guy’s got it bad for you.”

“Then why has he been avoiding me?” She looked at Steve exasperatedly. “I keep getting mixed signals from him. One minute we’re best friends, the next it’s like I’ve got the plague or something.”

“Because he feels exactly the same as you!” Steve slapped his head dramatically. “Honestly, you guys think I have issues? Try looking in the mirror.”

“I know, this is ridiculous Steve.” Amelia shook her head. “What’s happened to me? Why is nothing ever simple.”

“Cos you’re Amelia Jones and you’re a fuck up like me.” Steve said simply. “Aw come here you crazy bitch I was only joking.” Steve laughed seeing the look of defeat on Amelia’s face and pulled her into a bone crushing hug. “I love you even if nobody else does.”

“Gee thanks Steve. Way to make a girl feel good about herself!” Amelia joked, burying her head into Steve’s shoulder.

“So are you going to go the premiere?” he asked, not entirely changing the subject.

“What premiere?” Amelia replied, feigning ignorance.

“Knoxville’s. It’s in a few weeks right?”

“Oh yeah.” She pretended to remember. “I uh, don’t know if it’s a good idea.”

“Why the hell not?”

Amelia pulled a copy of the celebrity magazine out of her bag and showed Steve the page containing her photo.

“Nice one Amelia. ” Steve congratulated her. It was not the reaction she had been expecting. “I had to do a lot more to get my mug in the magazines. But I don’t see how that makes going to the premiere a bad idea?”

Amelia shook her head. “If they keep seeing photos of Johnny and I together they will eventually put two and two together, which is really bad considering I’m still married to Bam. I don’t want to be the centre of attention.”

“Well you kind of signed up for that when you married Bam.” Steve reminded her.