‹ Prequel: Just Go With It
Sequel: I Could Never Pretend
Status: Completed

Nothing Is Ever Simple

The Reunion

JOHNNY

When the plane touched down at the airport Johnny felt his stomach tighten. It had been a year since he had last been in West Chester. Having time away from Amelia had helped him to move on but he had no idea what effect being around her again would have on him, especially as she was now getting married.

Johnny had flown in to Philly with Jeff, Steve-O, Chris, Trip and a few others. The rest of the guys were making their own way there from various locations. It turned out that Johnny's entourage were the first to arrive and they were met by a very hung over looking Bam, Dunn and Novak. Pleasantries were exchanged and they piled in the limo that was waiting to take them to the hotel that would be their home for the next two weeks.

As the limo whizzed along the streets of West Chester, fond memories of filming came back to Johnny and he was both excited and relieved to be reunited with his friends. Waiting in the hotel lobby for their guests from LA were April, Phil, Dico, Rake, Raab, Glomb and Amelia. Before he could take off his shades, April had pounced on Johnny and was fawning over him in her lovely mothering way. Everyone greeted one another without the faintest trace of awkwardness despite the long absence, and finally Johnny made his way over to Amelia who was holding in her arms a little baby boy.

If it hadn't been for Brandon in her arms, Johnny would have pulled her into a huge bear hug. Instead he settled for a peck on the cheek and he could not contain the grin that was spreading over his face at the sight of his best friend.

"Long time no see." He smiled cockily.

"Too long." Amelia scolded him, before breaking out into a similar grin. "I've missed that face of yours Knoxville."

Johnny let out a loud laugh and held his hands up in apology. "You're not looking too bad yourself."

"Well gee thanks." She laughed, adjusting her position with the baby. "Johnny, I'd like you to meet Brandon Jr."

Johnny peered down at the baby sleeping soundly in his mother's arms. Even at this age he looked the spitting image of Amelia. His eyes softened and felt an overwhelming burst of happiness for her. "He's a little cutie." Johnny smiled. "I can't believe you actually named him after that asshole though!"

Amelia giggled. "It suits him."

Johnny nodded and put a gentle hand on her shoulder. "I've missed you so much Amelia." He said quietly. The other guys were busy talking or checking in, and Steve-O was already expressing his desire to continue drinking.

"I've missed you too." She smiled up at him. "I'm so glad you're here."

"Me too." He let his hand drop from her shoulder and stared into her eyes for a little longer than necessary. Overhearing the chatter between the guys it seemed that Steve-O's request had won out and they were making their way to the bar. "I bet I can tempt you with a glass of wine?" he winked, motioning for Amelia to walk ahead of him.

"Like you wouldn't believe." She laughed, turning to follow the others. Johnny hesitated, watching her walk off. He knew he had an insane grin plastered all over his face but it was impossible to hide his happiness.

In the bar they all gathered around a large round table and began the process of catching upon on one another's respective lives. The drinks flowed freely and every so often Bam, Dunn and Novak would shoot off to pick up another round of guests from the airport. The bar soon filled up with the familiar faces of Wee-Man, Preston, Dave, Ehren, Spike, Dimitry, Rick, Lance, Cliver, Loomis, Guch and several others. This was the first time that Johnny had seen some of his friends in months.

"You fancy going for coffee tomorrow?" Amelia asked Johnny as they stood at the bar getting in the next round of drinks.

"Sure." He smiled, his eyes twinkling.

"I'm going to take these drinks over and then go back to the house. Brandon needs his nap." She told him, touching his arm gently as she said this.

Johnny nodded and helped her carry the drinks back to the table. She bid the others goodbye and apologised for her early departure, before turning to Johnny. "I'll pick you up from here in the morning?"

"Great." He replied, throwing his arms round her and pulling her into a long overdue hug.

"See you tomorrow Knoxville." She grinned and turned on her heel towards Bam.

Johnny sat back down beside Jeff and Spike and watched as Bam embraced his future wife. On the outside they were the picture of happiness but something about Amelia's eyes betrayed her. Or maybe it was just wishful thinking on Johnny's part. They kissed briefly and said their goodbyes before Amelia left with April, Phil and baby Brandon in tow.

The next afternoon, Amelia picked Johnny up from his hotel and they drove in to town together. Most of the others were still fast asleep or nursing hangovers from their reunion the night before. Johnny had been sure not to drink too much so that he would enjoy his day with Amelia. This was not to say that he did not feel slightly worse for wear, and the prospect of coffee was incredibly welcome.

"So, it's the big night tomorrow eh?" Johnny laughed as he and Amelia sat down in the coffee shop.

"Don't remind me." She laughed. "I can't remember the last time I drank. It was definitely before Brandon was born."

"Well you'd be a cheap date then." He joked, taking a sip from his cup.

"I always am." She teased, eyes sparkling.

"Ah so that's why Bam's marrying you." Johnny laughed. The words felt strange in his mouth but he'd had plenty of time to come to terms with the idea of his two friends being married.

"We're not all blessed with your good looks Johnny." Amelia stuck her tongue out.

The teasing continued throughout the afternoon. Johnny was glad that nothing had changed between them since their last encounter. It was a warm summer's day in West Chester, so they decided to take a walk through the park. Amelia and Johnny walked side by side, shades down and jackets off, enjoying the weather. Eventually they came to a rest and sat down on the grass.

"Are you excited?" Johnny asked, a smile playing on his lips as he spread himself out on the ground.

Amelia nodded quietly beside him. "I'm trying not to think about it too much."

Johnny understood. "Nerves?" Amelia smiled weakly and Johnny squeezed her hand reassuringly. "You'll be fine."

"Thanks." She replied, squeezing his hand back. "I'm so glad you're here Johnny. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Johnny smiled but deep down her words twisted painfully around his gut. The more he was around her; the harder it was to ignore his feelings. The touch of her skin against his still created tiny electric shocks throughout his body and when he looked into her eyes he thought he might get lost in them. As she leant her head gently on his shoulder, Johnny clenched his jaw. She had no idea what this was doing to him, this friendship. It was ridiculous really. Hollywood movie star Johnny Knoxville has fallen in love with his best friend. It sounded more like the storyline of a rom-com rather than real life.