‹ Prequel: Just Go With It
Sequel: I Could Never Pretend
Status: Completed

Nothing Is Ever Simple

The Big Day

AMELIA

"You ready sis?" grinned Rose, handing Amelia her bouquet of flowers.

Amelia nodded, drawing in a deep breath. It was now or never. She took her father's arm and they made their way down to the hotel lobby.

Amelia felt like passing out when she caught a glimpse of the amount of people gathered in the room. So much for a quiet family wedding, she thought as she swallowed the lump in her throat. Amelia had never enjoyed being the centre of attention, but there was simply no escaping it today. She glanced at her dad who seemed equally surprised by the turn out but much less fazed. He grinned at her and she tried to match his enthusiasm but she really felt like she might be sick.

As they entered the room, Amelia immediately sought out familiar faces. As the music started, everybody in the room turned to look at her and she could feel her face flush with embarrassment. Her dad gripped her arm tighter as they started walking, picking up on her nerves. She felt relief wash over her as she spotted her mother standing with April, Phil, Jess and Raab on the front row and on the opposite side of the aisle she saw Rake, Novak, Johnny, Madison, Steve and Chris. Amongst the numerous guests, many of which she did not recognise, Amelia picked out the friendly smiles of the rest of her Jackass crew.

There at the front, with his best man Dunn was her soon to be husband, Bam. Amelia broke out into a huge grin as she saw his face beaming proudly at her from the other end of the room. She picked up her pace a little and it was not until her dad placed her hand in Bam's that her breathing returned to normal. She felt safe in his presence and her nerves began to dissipate. As the guests sat down and everyone turned to face the registrar, Amelia grinned at Rose. The moment was finally upon them.

The ceremony seemed to be over in a matter of seconds and before she knew it they had been pronounced Mr and Mrs Margera. Her mother and April were crying their eyes out as everyone wished the happy couple well. Amelia did not have time to have any doubts now and instead she resolved to enjoy her big day.

After what seemed like a life time, the guests stopped fawning over Amelia and she shrank into the background, glad to have a little time to herself. She had no idea what had happened to Bam after the first dance and cutting the cake. She had watched him slowly get more and more intoxicated and it saddened her that he could not go one night, one special night, without getting into a mess.

It was getting late and Amelia made her excuses as she headed back up to the hotel room to put Brandon to bed. He was excited by the music and the strangers and she knew she would have a hard time getting him to settle. She sat by the cot, humming a lullaby when she heard the door open and Bam enter the room.

"I was wondering where you had gotten to Mrs Margera." He grinned, approaching her slowly.

"Just seeing to Brandon." She smiled, before he pulled her to her feet and wrapped his strong arms around her. She buried her head in his warm neck and inhaled the scent of wine and cigarettes. They stood in a motionless embrace, breathing one another in. This was the first moment they had to themselves all day. It was silly considering it was supposed to be their special day.

"Are you having a good day?" he whispered into her ear. His hot breath tickled her neck and she still felt the shivers run through her body whenever he was this close to her.

"Yes." She whispered in response. Bam pulled back and tilted her head towards his so that their lips met. They kissed passionately for an eternity before they finally drew apart, gasping for air. Any negative thoughts she had been having last night had completely vanished now. All it took was for Bam to show her his true feelings and make her feel wanted.

"There'll be more of that later." He winked. "But we'd better get back downstairs to our party."

Amelia nodded and kissed her now softly sleeping baby goodnight, before following her new husband out of the room. April and her mother had agreed to take it in turns to check on Brandon throughout the night to keep Amelia's mind at rest.

Back down in the hotel she was ambushed by a considerably drunken Jeff, Trip and Spike who were trying to sign her up for a third Jackass film.

"Come on Amelia, we need you on board!" Spike laughed.

"Yeah..." Jeff agreed, holding up an empty champagne glass. "You're the only one with any sex appeal!"

"You know I'll be there boys." She laughed, "But let's get the takeover out of the way first yeah?"

Trip embraced her in a bone crushing hug before she could scramble away to find the rest of the guys. Chris and Steve had already stripped down to their shiny little man thongs and were throwing some exotic shapes on the edge of the dance floor as close as possible to the bar. Amelia paused to watch them aggravating one of Bam's aunts before looking around the room for her other friends.

Ehren and Dave were dancing with their respective girlfriends. Amelia was still amazed that Dave had ever managed to find himself a girlfriend after some of the more disgusting stunts he had performed for the films. She had obviously never watched any of them. Madison was sitting with April. Johnny had still not introduced her to his daughter.

Speaking of her best friend, she hadn't seen Johnny for a while and Preston directed her to the garden area where Johnny was sitting alone at a table. He was staring at an empty glass as if wishing it to fill itself. Amelia silently took a seat beside him and touched his arm.

"You ok Knoxville?" she smiled, handing him a fresh drink.

He looked up at her with shiny eyes and if she hadn't known better she would have thought he had been crying. "Yeah I'm fine. I just fancied a bit of fresh air." He smiled weakly.

Amelia was not convinced but decided to let it go. She took a sip from her own glass and gazed up at the clear night sky.

"Beautiful night." Johnny remarked, echoing her thoughts.

Amelia nodded. "It is."

"Amelia..." he started, still staring at his glass.

"Yeah?"

"Are you happy?" he asked seriously.

She hesitated for a moment, wondering why he was asking her this. "Yes." She replied finally, with as much conviction as she could manage.

"Good." He smiled a little more firmly. "As long as you're happy then nothing else matters."

Amelia raised an eyebrow at his strange comment. "Are you sure you're ok Knox?" she frowned.

"Not really." He sighed, raising his hands to his head. "Walk with me?"