Status: Posting

Make It out Alive

Lord, I Need Your Protection, Spend Some Time In My Direction

I finished whispering a prayer and crossed myself. "Lord, I need you right now."

Spencer was outside the room, watching me as we both waited for Calvetin. I jumped at every little sound, my nerves on edge. The drive to Texas was peaceful, Spence and I speaking softly. He was clearly as nervous as I was. I had the earpiece in, and the mic was on my sleeve. I took a shuddering breath.

"He's coming," Spence told me. I nodded. "You can do this, and even if you can't, you just have to let us know, and you'll never have to see him again."

"Come in here with me," I begged.

A moment later, the door opened, revealing Spencer. He came in and sat in the chair next to my wheelchair. One hand brushed my hair away from my face, his other taking one of my shaking hands.

Again the doorknob turned. Two guards escorted a graying, slightly wrinkled man inside the room. I took a rasping breath, feeling the pain in my lung flare up, pricking my eyes with tears.

"Polly," he said, tasting my name on his tongue. He smiled, and I repressed a shudder. He was still the monster in my closet, the ghost in my attic, the demon who destroyed light.

"Hello," I squeaked.

He sat across the table from Spence and I. "You must be, Dr. Reid, wasn't it?"

Spencer nodded, squeezing my hand.

"When I am allowed onto a computer, I spend all my time looking at articles about you. You and your team. I'm so proud of you, Polly. You're in the FBI, and you look so much like your mother," he told us.

"Mom's dead," I whispered.

His shoulders slumped. "I am so sorry to hear that. She was such a lovely woman."

"I work with Agent Rossi now," I mentioned.

He stiffened. "I see. So, tell me, Doc, you seem pretty comfortable with my daughter. Just coworkers?"

Reid blinked. "No. I'm in love with her and hope to make her my wife."

It was my turn to blink in surprise. I squeezed his hand and he turned to look at me, flashing a shy smile.

Jared smiled. "Well, you have my permission, Doc."

"Never wanted it, never going to want it. Don't need it," Spence said shortly.

Calvetin tented his fingers, placing his elbows on the table. He looked old and withered. "It's a scary thing, knowing exactly when and how you're going to die."

"It was worse for Mom and I. Wishing we would die, knowing we couldn't."

He regarded me for a moment. "I love you, Polly."

I winced. "Loved me so much you had to have sex with me when I was a toddler?"

He looked away. "I'm sorry, Polly."

"No, you're not," I told him. I motioned for the guards. "I'm done. I just want to go back to Quantico."

They nodded, taking Jared out of the room. After the door closed behind him, I let a few tears fall. Spencer wiped them away, giving me a gentle kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think of Jared? Does he seem sorry for what he's done, or do you think he's scum?
Leave me comments and let me know!