Status: Posting

Make It out Alive

Birthday Bright

"Spence," I complained as he tried to peak from behind my hand. "No peaking."

"You know I hate surprises," he reminded.

"You work in the FBI, if you didn't hate surprises, I'd be concerned," I joked. He had to crouch down so I could keep my hand over his eyes, but as he wheeled me along, I chuckled to myself, imagining how we must look.

"Can I look now? I don't feel particularly safe doing this," he sighed.

"You can look now," I confirmed, grinning, and taking my hand away. I had transformed the entire lower level, the third floor of our three story condo into a library, filled with his and my books, as well as over a hundred new, either newly printed or first editions that neither of us owned previously.

He blinked. "This is wonderful."

"There's a new section," I said, leading him to a small bookcase with the newest additions to our collections.

"You have got to be kidding. Is this a-" he interrupted himself, picking up a first edition copy of Oscar Wilde's A Picture of Dorian Gray. "My God."

"There's also this," I mentioned, leading the way to a comfortable corner with two large velvet, gothic styled arm chairs, heavy brass reading lamps, and tucked away was a desk with enough room to write on, as well as a computer. "Oh, and I forgot to mention, this is a Bureau free environment," I told him with a smile. "No case files, gory pictures, anything is allowed down here, that stays in the office upstairs. I thought it'd be nice for you, well, both of us, to have a place to be where we can be surrounded by knowledge and not have to have the monsters with it."

He ran a finger over the spines of the books arranged neatly on the oak shelves.

"Do you like it?" I asked nervously.

He shook his head. "I'm sorry!" I exclaimed. "It seemed like a good idea, and you always say how you wish there was somewhere you could be where you didn't need to think about the Bureau. I thought a library would be a good place for that, especially for you, and how much you love books," I rambled.

"You asked me if I liked it," he interrupted. "I love it, Polly. It's brilliant," he told me with a grin.

"Hmph," I snorted, turning my back on him playfully.

"I scared you, didn't I?" he asked.

"Terrified is more like it," I corrected.

"I'm sorry, dear," he answered sincerely.

"It's your birthday, do you honestly expect me to be mad at you for something silly like that?" I laughed, turning around and grinning.

He chuckled. "It's a wonderful present," he assured me.

"Happy 26th," I wished him, tilting my head up for him to kiss me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's so short and filler-tastic, but you guys were so lovely about commenting and, oh, it just tickled me so much I had to update again!
So, what do you think of Polly's birthday present? Aren't they just so quaint and precious?