Status: Posting

Make It out Alive

Time

Spencer's dark brown eyes were rimmed in red and bloodshot. The dark circles around his eyes were only intensified. His button-up was rumbled, his tie was crooked and he was in an entire sort of disarray.

In his arms was a sleeping baby girl, Abigail Diana Reid. Her eyes were his dark brown but the shape was Polly's.

JJ placed a caring hand on his shoulder as he sat at his desk to get a few personal effects. He smiled weakly at her. "She's beautiful," she told him.

"Looks like her, doesn't she?" Spencer asked in a voice that cracked from little use. "Can you hold her while I talk to Hotch?"

JJ nodded, making a cradle out of her arms. He placed Abigail in her arms and kissed the sleeping week and a half old child's forehead. He walked to Hotch's office and tapped on the door, he looked broken.

Hotch looked him over carefully.

"I need time," Spencer said quietly. "Both for myself and for Abigail."

"Spencer, I can't blame you," Hotch told him.

Reid looked out into the bullpin, where Derek, Garcia, JJ and Rossi were doting on Abigail, who had woken up. "She's never going to know her mother."

"Polly made sacrifices to protect her just as her mother made for her," Hotch responded. "She wouldn't have had it any other way."

Spencer's eyes watered as he continued to watch his child. "You know that at the funeral tomorrow, it'll be the second and final time Abigail see's her mother?"

Hotch put his hand on Reid's shoulder sympathetically.

"We would have been getting married tomorrow. Instead I'm burying her," Reid told his superior in a voice that was barely audible, still not looking away from Abigail.

"Spencer, I'm sorry," Hotch said. Spencer just nodded, looking at Abigail. "We got him, and he confessed. To everything. It's looking like he's going to get the death penalty," he continued solemnly.

He nodded, barely hearing him. His Polly was already gone, and the man who killed her was going to be put down like a dog, but he felt nothing. For several heartbeats, all Spencer could feel was a paralyzing numbness, and he feared that he would not make it out alive.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had to make you guys sweat, and I'm sorry, but bless you for your comments, and I'm so sorry for this.
It's not over yet though. We have one chapter and the epilogue left.