Status: hard at work on chapter three guise C:

Horror 101

Friday Night Scare Fest

I sat quietly at my table in the cafeteria, picking at my gluten free salad sandwich my mum had packed me. I looked around at all the other tables, my heart longing to be surrounded by friends. Instead I sat by myself eating my lunch which had to be specially made so it didn’t contain any traces of the twenty foods I can’t eat. I sighed and pushed my thick rimmed glasses up higher on my nose. Suddenly Josh strode past my table.

“Ew look, it’s Lame Dwayne.” He sniffed, knocking my sandwich to the floor. “Eat some real food.”

His best friend Nick snorted laughter and slapped Josh on the back. They continued to walk away until they reached their table where their hot cheerleader girlfriends waited for them. Josh slung his arm around Brittany and they sat down. Brittany had her lunch tray in front of her and was picking at a single lettuce leaf. Nick sat opposite them with his girlfriend Ashley.

They were all good looking. Nick and Josh we’re both tanned and buff with shaggy chocolate brown hair. They were both on the football team and were the ‘all muscle; no brain’ jock type. So of course they were paired with smoking hot anorexic cheerleader girlfriends. Brittany had long curly blonde hair and the perfect body which all girls envy, but you can only get from eating two lettuce leaves a week and occasionally treating yourself to a slice of cucumber once a month. She was fair in complexion and had those classic Barbie Doll features. Ashley was Brittany’s best friend...so pretty much a watered down version of her. Ashley had blonde hair, but unlike Brittany’s, hers was dyed and no matter how hard she tried it was always the wrong shade. Right now it was too light, just bordering on platinum. She was not from a ‘white’ background like Brittany, but seemed to be of ethnic decent. She had a natural tan and her eyes were dark green instead of the crystalline blue of Brittany’s. She had the same nice body, if not slightly nicer. Ashley was curvy where Brittany was not. See when you eat like Brittany it tends to result in having the chest of a five year old girl. Ashley had full breasts whereas Brittany had to stuff her bra with Kleenex. Ashley knew that Brittany was jealous of their wide bra size gap and occasionally used this to her advantage, but not often.

All their friends were a part of the football team or the cheerleading squad and everyone else either hated them or wanted to be them. Out of their group though, Josh and Brittany were king and queen. They ruled the school. They seemed to be above the law...well of the school. They walked all over the teachers, knowing they could get away with anything. They excelled in throwing parties and being mean to people who were different.

I sighed and looked away. I had no one. I got stuck with being that nerdy guy that no one wants to hang with. I wasn’t even that smart. I got by on an average B grade, but never stood out in any classes. I’d never had a best friend...or any friends for that matter. All I had was my giant comic collection and my routine Friday night ‘Scare Fest’ which I had been doing since I was thirteen. I was now seventeen.

I think this is what got me through most weeks. Waiting for Friday night when I could watch horror movies. I never seemed to get scared, but more a sick kind of joy at watching the hot cheerleaders and juicy jocks get picked off one by one.

If only life was more like a horror movie I thought to myself, sighing once again.

The rest of the day passed uneventfully but I walked home with a happy heart.

Today was Friday.

I walked in the door and was straight away swept into a crushing hug from my mum.

“Mum!” I moaned.

“Sorry.” She replied sheepishly and let me go. “I got out the movies you wanted dear.”

“Aw thanks mum.” I said smiling.

I walked into the lounge room and picked up the pile of DVDs sitting on the coffee table. I headed into my bedroom and chucked the movies on the bed. I quickly followed and looked through them to check that mum had gotten the right ones.

She has done well, once again, I thought as I saw she had gotten all the ‘A Nightmare on Elm Street’ movies.

Now I was older I had decided to start on the classic well known horrors. Last week I watched the ‘Halloween’ movies. The week before that I sat through all the ‘Child’s Play’ movies including ‘Bride of Chucky’ and ‘Seed of Chucky’.

Now it was time for good ole Freddy Krueger and his finger knives.
I hurriedly made popcorn and grabbed a litre bottle of Coca-Cola and went back to my room. Eagerly I put in the first of at least eight movies and leaned back in content.

I yawned as I ejected the last movie from my DVD player. I looked at my digital clock. It was 1:30 am.

Wow, I thought, that’s got to be like ten hours of movie time.

I put the DVD back in its case and swept all the popcorn off my bed. I climbed under the covers and fell asleep almost straight away, knowing that only good looking popular people get targeted by horror villains.