Life as a Cold One

Part One-Chapter 1: A Trip with Emily

“Come on Emily, we are missing all the fun!”

Twenty-Three year old Katherine Williams dragged her best friend down the crowded street of Venice, Italy. Her brown hair bounced behind her as she looked back to see Emily struggling to keep up. Emily grabbed Katherine’s hand and stopped to catch her breath, “Please, I’m trotting on my dress,” she panted as she swept her blonde tight curls from her face.

Katherine smile with her gray eyes glistening in the moonlight, “In 1861 we planned this trip out, now two years later we are finally here, I want to do everything, see everything, live a while!”

Emily straightened her long flowing dress, she was more proper than her friend, but that’s what she liked about Katherine she didn’t care for being ladylike, not even in public, “Okay, okay, come on let’s go and get some drinks, maybe find some guys,” she said lowering her brown eyes to a guy at the bar down below.

Katherine eagerly followed Emily, giggling every step of the way. They entered the bar and every pair of eyes turned to them as they asked for their drinks. Whistles came from the back corner, but the girls ignored them as they tried to scope out decent looking men.

All night they walked the town staying with each other and not even sleeping a wink, they were too exhilarated for sleep. The sun came up as they walked through the park smiling arm in arm, holding to one another and enjoying the view. It was almost noon when they were enjoying a bite to eat while walking down the street when they heard a gun fire across the street, “Dear Emily, a robbery!”

Katherine grabbed her friends arm and ran the same way as every other person trying to flee the area. Another shot fired this time closer by, screams came from all over and Katherine felt a pain in her stomach. Emily screamed right beside her and Katherine hit the ground fading fast. Emily was left alone with her best friend dying on the ground beside her. Blood covered Katherine’s dress and her face was beginning to loose color, “Emily,” she breathed.

“Don’t speak, please, Kat, don’t!”

Katherine smiled and with her last breath she said, “I love you Em-,” her voice faded and her head slipped into Emily’s blood covered hand.

Emily cried hard, holding her friend with no one around to help her, she felt lost and hurt.

“You don’t need to be here.”

Emily jumped from the voice behind her, she didn’t hear anyone walk up on her, “What,” she asked with just a whisper.

She saw a man with light blond hair and golden eyes, staring at the body of Katherine on the ground, his skin was pale, but he was handsome in every way, “Go before they come back, you have to, I’ll take care of your friend,” he said calmly kneeling beside the body.

“No, I won’t leave Katherine,” Emily cried.

The man raised his voice, “YOU HAVE TOO, NOW GO!”

Emily sighed and let go of her dead best friends hand and ran away from the scene, far, as far away as she could get. She never knew who the blond man was or what he did with Katherine’s body.
♠ ♠ ♠
Katherine Williams
Image
Emily Paige
Image