Status: Active (:

We Play, You Move

CHAPTER SIX

“Hi, I’m Alex.” Was all I could say, as I shook his hand. He didn’t look amused by the situation. I bet I didn’t either. He shook my hand loosely.
“Jack.”
We all sat down in one of the living rooms, I sat in the couch just across Jack. Our parents were talking and laughing loudly, and all I could find interesting was my hands in my lap.
“So Alex, what school are you going to go to?”Asked Mrs. Barakat. Me and Jack shared a look.
“Uhm, Baltimore High.”
“How great! That is the same high school as Jack.” She smiled, padding her son on the shoulder. Jack beamed.
“You kiddos should go to Jack’s room.” Mr. Barakat said. Alex wanted to say no, he didn’t want to, it would be awkward.
“You could check if you have any classes together?” Alex’s mother added.

Jack’s room was as Alex’s on the top floor. It was smaller than Alex’s, and the walls were painted a light blue color. In the corner was a queen-sized bed, and on it laid a beautiful Gibson Les Paul.
“Do you play?” Alex asked, as he sat down on the bed, touching the strings of the guitar with his fingertips. Jack smiled at the other boy’s heavy accent.
“Yeah. Do you?” Jack asked, sitting down on the other side of the bed, watching Alex.
Alex took the guitar up, looking at Jack as to ask if it was okay. Jack nodded. He strummed a few chords to see if it was in tunes, and then started playing the intro to Rock Show.
Jack’s face lid up as he recognized the song, and started singing along. The boys played a few more Blink songs, singing and playing, shifting the guitar between them, when the other didn’t know the chords.

Jack and Alex’ mothers stood at the foot of the stairs, listening to their sons laughing and singing at the end of the hall.
“Seems like they are getting along.” Joyce smiled. Isobel nodded.
“Yes, I hope Alex could make some friends here.”
“Yes, Jack doesn’t seem to have many friends here, even though we have been here for a while.”

The boys had stopped playing and now looked at Jack’s schedule. They had English, P.E. and Math together.

“Dinner boys!” Joyce called from the stairs, and the two ran down the stairs.