It's a Small World, After All

Chapter One

Whenever I’m bored, I pay a visit to the grocery store and buy some cheese. I don’t know why, to be honest. I’ve always been a little too fond of cheese. It somehow finds a way to end up in most of my meals. So that I don’t get too many questions about this odd habit of mine, I try my best to visit different grocery stores. I’m not going to lie; I’d be weirded out if I saw someone constantly coming into my store to buy cheese.

Most people would be surprised if they really knew how many grocery stores were in this little town. At times, I don’t even believe it myself. It’s small enough to see familiar faces around a lot of the time, but big enough to constantly be surrounded by new faces. I always liked the idea of that, despite everyone always complaining how there’s not enough to do here. There is—they’re all just too busy complaining about every little thing to really notice.

Being that we live in a miniscule-but-not-really town, it’s hard to not see the same face over and over but not ever actually knowing who it is. This happens to me all the time, particularly with some Hispanic boy that I always see at least once or twice a week around town. I’ve never really understood why, but we always end up at the same places at the same time. We exchange smiles at each other as though we’re acquaintances, but, in reality, we have never said a single word to each other. Majority of the time, we both are alone.

I can’t deny that I find him attractive. As cliché as this sounds, he’s tall, dark, and handsome. He’s definitely on the skinny side, but for some reason he’s still extremely good looking regardless. Sometimes he’s carrying a skateboard, other times he’s just walking around empty handed with a Starbucks coffee. I’ve always wanted to just come up to him and introduce myself to him—my fear of rejection and awkwardness has always stopped me from saying a word to him, however. Maybe one day he’ll actually come up to me and introduce himself. But I might just be crazy; he might not have even noticed that we see each other everywhere all the time. Or maybe he has but he’s never really thought anything of it. What if he already knew me somehow? The possibility of us going to school together is extremely unlikely; of all the yearbooks, I’ve never seen his face pop up a single time in it. It’s hard to not notice his face, considering I’m awkwardly familiar with it.

Most people would search him on Facebook or Twitter… but the problem is that I don’t know who or what to search for. I don’t know any of his friends; I’ve seen some of them walking with him occasionally, but I only recognize them as his friends. There’s no possible way I can match a name to any of their faces. Not a single one of them has ever somehow popped up on Facebook even, as stalker-ish as that sounds.

I always seem to over analyze everything when I’m buying some cheese. It’s a quality that goes along with my annoying habit. I noticed that not once have I ever seen this guy when I’m buying cheese, thankfully. I wouldn’t want him to think I was that big of a freak without even having to meet me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've never been too good at writing lengthy chapters, especially when it's the first chapter.