Sequel: Times Are Changing

Vital

Terms and conditions, without rejections.

"You didn't do any drugs at all this weekend? And you had to stay at David Porters? How did you manage?" Gabriella was quick to question me as we walked to lunch together. I hushed her and frantically looked around, glad that no one cared to listen.

"He fucking flushed them down the toilet. Trust me, I was irritable. His mom even commented, she thought it was my period or something." I shrugged, knowing it was best that she believed that.

"Well that sucks." She frowned, both of us grabbing some chips and paying the lunch lady. I brought my own bottle of Sprite and sat down with Gaby at our usual spot.

"Tell me about it," I sighed, taking a long swig.

"Vodka?" She smelt, then turned to me. A simple nod was sufficient for her.

"So, have you talked to dear John?" I teased, at which her cheeks turned pink.

"Stop." She shook her head, stuffing a cheeto in her mouth. "Wow." Her eyes almost looked glazed over as she stared at something behind me. I turned and saw him, Nathan. I rolled my eyes and turned back around. "He's cute."

"Wipe your mouth. You're drooling," I scolded, chewing on some Sun Chips.

"Am not," she playfully hissed, wiping her mouth for good measure anyways.

"He's alright looking." I shrugged.

"He's my type," she corrected, at which I laughed.

"I suppose." I glance over my shoulder and let out a sigh. His hair went just below his ear, dark brown with a random blond chunk dyed at the back and another one right next to his eye as well. I couldn't tell what color his eyes were and didn't bother too.

"We would make a cute couple, would we not?" She was mimicking the other girls now and that caused me to laugh even harder.

"You're ridiculous, Gaby." I playfully put my hand on her face and pushed her back. Then glanced over at Nathan again. His dark blue almost black skinny jeans tucked close to his legs, and cuffed around his Converse. Cliche`. I took notice of his black Skins shirt, with a simple nod. Good taste. Skateboarder kind.

"Well stop staring." Gabriella waved a hand in front of my face, so I stuck my tongue out at her.

"I wasn't staring. I was observing," I corrected then stood up right before the bell rang.

"Freaky," she muttered, looking up at the sky all stupid like.

"See you after school," I giggled with a shake of my head and passed some pills to a guy along the way.

I wonder if my parents will be home by now. I mean honestly, it doesn't take that long to go show some people some houses in another city.

"Sorry." Someone cut off my thoughts and I turned to see that Nathan guy.

"S'all good," I assured. Seeing as I felt that was the end to our little meet and greet, I continued the journey to my last class.

"Ugh, I'm Nathan," he introduced. Stopping in front of me, making me bump into him again.

"I know," I simply replied, staring at his hand then turned to the side and continued walking around him.

"You aren't going to tell me your name?" He was shocked. Probably because everyone else was on his nuts, including Gabriella. I quirked a brow, then looked him over again.

"Seeing as we aren't going to talk again, nor hang out. I don't see why I should introduce myself when so many others are demanding for your attention." And as if on cue, Chelsea butted in, blocking Nathan's view of me, and twirled a strand of her hair between her fingers. Popping her gum as she bashed her eye lashes at him.

"So, what class do you have now?" She questioned him. I rose my brows at Nathan as if saying 'told ya' and walked up the stairs to my last class. Once inside, I ignored the looks David gave me as I took a seat in my usual spot, as far away from him as possible.

"Nice of you to join us finally," my teacher spoke, sarcastically of course.

"I was being held back by some nuisance," I explained, causing him to laugh.

"I am sure," he nodded, then turned back to my peers. "Alright open your books to page-"

"Sorry." The annoying voice of Nathan cut Mr. D off.

"Take a seat, any seat," Mr D hissed, then proceeded to tell us what page to turn to. Nathan quickly sat in front of me and opened his book. I don't think he even noticed me, as he glanced around looking for a pen. He turned completely around to me and smiled.

"Do you have a-" before he could finish I pulled out a plain black pen that I have about twenty more of and tossed it on his desk.

"Now shut up," I rudely demanded, shifting my eyes back to my book. I didn't like to be interrupted from reading, it was rude and unless it involved food you were dumb to bother me. At least he got the hint and quietly started on his own work.

Thank goodness it was time to go home. I couldn't begin to tell you how happy I was to be able to go home, and sleep in my bed. I was going to run out of class but stupid Nathan got in my way and I fell into a nearby chair.

"Damn it," I cursed.

"Miss Jensen," Mr. D scolded, looking at me with disapproval. I weakly smiled in return then glared at Nathan.

"Sorry," he apologized, reaching a hand out for me.

"Thanks," I thanked, straightening my shirt and grabbed my backpack.

"Oh so you can be polite," he teased, a crooked smile on his lips. His eyes were such an interesting caramel green color. Unlike like my eyes that people often compare to the color of whiskey.

"I'm very nice. Unless you irritate me," I reply, unsure of what else I could reply with.

"I've irritated you earlier by asking your name?" He inquired, his tone a bit sarcastic and playful at the same time.

"Earlier you bumped into me rudely and made me late for class." I explain, with a small smile of satisfaction.

"And when I asked for a pen?" He brought up. Determined to catch me.

"You interrupted my reading, it didn't involve food. Instant bitchiness." I grinned even bigger.

"Monique, go home already," Mr D chuckled, shooing both Nathan and I out. It was then that I realized we were the only ones left.

"Sorry," I apologized, hurrying out. Nathan quickly followed at my heels.

"I didn't see it," he said, but I wasn't sure if it was to me or himself.

"See it?" I repeat, a natural instinct I have since I hang out with Gabriella so much.

"Yes, this whole time I thought you were being rude." He laughed, dodging people's questions. A lot of them glanced at Nathan then their eyes landed to me. Must ditch unwanted attention.

"Well, you were. Have a good day." I quickly tried to ditch him, but the poor fellow insisted on talking to me. Gabriella stood there with her jaw agape as I quickened my pace to meet up with her.

"Ha. You were just rude for no reason." He pointed out, walking at my side and easily keeping up with my stride.

"Am not," I childishly declined. I got to Gabriella's side then turned to Nathan. "I don't like the fact that you are the little new popular kid, and people are staring. Especially being alone with you, looks suspicious if you ask me. So yeah. I don't want rumors going around, I did a good job at avoiding them. I don't feel like starting in my last year." I winked then yanked Gabriella off.

"I don't mind though!" She hollered over her shoulder then shrieked with laughter as she faced forward and kept up with me. I was walking abnormally fast. "Slow down, Hun. He's way back there."

"Thank God." I wiped my forehead then stared at her black tank top and pink bra strap showing underneath. "Is that my tank?"

"No." She quickly zipped her sweater up and smiled at me. "Now what was that all about?"

"Nothing," I groaned, gritting my teeth.

"Oh, I'm sure it was somethingm" she teased, both of us making our rounds to Connect. I gave him all the money I collected and he gave me my payment. He turned to Gaby and smiled.

"Good day, ladies." He slightly nodded then hurried to his little group of friends.

"Wow, really Mo?" She spat then stalked off. I caught up to her with furrowed brows.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I groaned. When she didn't ease up, I grabbed her arm and forced her to stop.

"Telling Connect about my little jealousy." She frowned, tears filling her eyes.

"I didn't!" I exclaimed. But she just shook her head, yanked her arm back and continued walking off. "How could I?! I only see him when you're around! Remember I was at David's all weekend!" I screamed. She stopped then turned to me with guilt.

"Oh yeah," she whispered, then wrapped me in her arms. "I'm sorry."

"Yeah," I muttered, walking towards the dirt lot. "Me too."

"No, really. I am," she continued, skipping now. "I didn't take my meds today."

"Like they do anything anyways," I scoffed. "At least I can admit I do drugs for my own selfish reasons, I don't try to justify them."

"Hey! These are from an actual doctor," she insisted, causing me to laugh.

"Keep telling yourself it's better than what I'm doing." I winked, when she looked at her phone again.

"You'll have to walk home alone again. I'm guessing for this whole week," she confessed, locking her eyes with mine.

"What's going on, Gaby?" I question, my brows instinctively furrowing.

"See you tomorrow." She didn't even answer me. She ran to the parent parking, leaving me alone. I huffed, stuffing my hands in my pockets and continued walking alone.

"Hey." I heard, glancing to see Nathan.

"What now?" I sigh. Depressed that something is wrong with Gabriella but she wont tell me.

"Just walking home," he chuckled. "Figured it'd be weird if we were walking the same way and neither of us had said something. I'd think you were stalking me and you'd think I were stalking you."

"I already do," I mused, at which he laughed.

"So where do you live?" He questioned, both of us taking a step with our left foot and so on.

"The ghetto." I used my fingers to create air quotes.

"Same here." He half heartily chuckled.

"Don't let the others know, they'll shun you in a heart beat," I advised. "Or break you for it."

"Let them." He shrugged. "I personally don't care what they think. It's not my fault the family business failed. I even work too, let them joke about that. Not everyone is rich like David."

"Oh you heard about David huh?" I sarcastically asked, it was a ridiculous question to ask. I mean who hasn't heard about David? Or even know who he is?

"Of course," he muttered. "He even talked to me today."

"About?" I quirked a brow, and he just laughed.

"Now you're interested in my personal business?" He teased. Stuffing his hands in his pockets like me. I took mine out and placed them in my back pockets, clutching my pills.

"Sometimes I am curious to know what the populars talk about," I sheepishly admit, biting my bottom lip and looked away.

"He just wanted to know more about me, and asked where I was going to stand at the school. He was like a mentor, sort of speak. Every person we passed he told me a little about," he simply said with a shrug.

"I remember seeing you both, what did he say about me?" I groan, closing my eyes tightly then reopening them.

"He didn't." He had to be lying. How did David not say anything about me?

"Really?" I snort. Showing obvious signs that I didn't believe him.

"No really. All he said was there are certain people we don't speak about in the school, nor care to." His facial expression went blank after he said the last part, then he weakly smiled. "Sorry."

"No, I'm glad. I prefer it that way." I nod with a grin.

"Why?" He questioned. Both of us turning down the same little dirt cross walk now, with block walls on either side that lead to the backyards of all the little ghetto houses. The access to the front yards are all the way on the other side of the block, and it would take about thirty minutes to an hour to get home going that way.

Because I do drugs and if I'm popular, then everyone would know. The school would eventually hear about it. Connect will probably try to kill me, and I'd be drug tested then sent to rehab.

"No reason." I shrug.

"Just no reason?" He mimicked my snort and facial expression from before.

"Okay, fine. I can't stand drama. I already have enough at home." I frown, kicking a rock.

"I bet. Kind of like here. You see where we live. Well my Uncle lives in the richier side of town, I'll be going there to help my Aunt raise my nephew and nieces on the weekends. But you could only imagine what kind of shit my cousin talks," he cursed, looking down at the floor. "When I lived about an hours drive away from her, an in ground pool, big house. My cousin and I were close, I mean she's always been two years older than me. But we were cool. Now, I guess we've grown apart or because of my financial living. I guess you could say that's why I don't care if people at school find out and make fun of me. Nothing I haven't heard before."

"Well, it can be our little secret." I wink and he just laughs.

"I'm not going to deny when I'm asked where I live. Hell, I might even make it cool," he mused.

"Good luck." I waved as I opened the little broken wooden gate that leads to my house. I take it his house is a little further down. "And make sure to lock your doors."

"Thanks for the friendly advice." He waved me a due then continued his journey home. I watched him open a small gate that's just as run down as mine about three houses down. I smile then wave again, before heading inside. I quickly locked the door after me, and sat my stuff down.

"Mom?!" I hollered, hearing my little echo. I went down the hall and saw nothing. No one. I let out another deep breath then went back to the kitchen, grabbing a small can of nacho cheese and tortilla chips. Grabbed my homework and sat down.

What is another word for soul mate that doesn't sound so corny?

"Hello?!" Someone continued to knock at my door. I growled and closed my English book, got up and peeked through the shutters. It was David.

"What the hell do you want?" I growl, opening the door with the chain still hooked.

"Didn't you get the memo? You're supposed to be staying at my house," he scolded, peeking in to see if anyone was inside with me or something.

"Didn't you get the memo? I'm perfectly fine by myself," I spat, shutting the door and locking it up.

"Don't make me get my mom," he warned, causing me to laugh.

"You sound so childish," I teased, reopening the door like before. "I appreciate it, David. But really, you should run along home before you're shot for your hood caps."

"Ha, ha, ha," he mocked, then looked over his shoulder with a scared expression. "I'll just tell her you said to fuck off."

"Good. Very well planned," I agreed, nodded, then closed the door again. I went to the house phone and dialed my parents cell phone. Make note that I said parents, plural.

"Hello?" My dad answered.

"Dad. Where are you guys?" I growl.

"We have another day of looking at properties before we can come back," he assured.

"Why cant you just come back, sleep then leave and do that hour drive?" I was practically begging.

"Because sweetie, we don't have the gas," he admitted.

"Give me that." I could tell my mom yanked the phone. "Monique! I love you."

"I love you too mom," I repeat with sincerity.

"Now why are you home and not at David's?" She grilled, obviously displeased judging by her tone.

"Because mom, I don't want to stay a whole bunch of nights there. I don't want to be a burden. I am perfectly fine here," I inform. "So please, stop trying to force me to stay the night with them."

"Fine. Under one condition." I could tell this wasn't going to be good.

"What?" I sigh. Finally ending the suspense.

"You go on a date with David, said and done. Thank you sweetie, lock the doors and the gun is under my bed. Get it please. Good night." And bam as quick as that was, she hung up. I clicked the end button and sat the phone down on the hook. As if that would really work. Doesn't she know how much I hate David Porter?
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooooh 4 readers! :D Yay! lol