Sequel: Times Are Changing

Vital

Realization of betrayal and secrets.

The attention a girl gets for wearing a low cut is the exact reason I don't, and even zipped my sweater up all the way. I quietly walked past everyone, hoping not to catch their attention.

"Monique!" Connect rushed over, a smile on his face. He looked down at my chest, then shifted his eyes to mine. "So, I found out that Logan doesn't have the greatest history. So, he will not be going through you anymore. Kay?"

"Thanks," I appreciated. A small smile coming across my lips, until his eyes shifted down again. I rolled my eyes and let out a deep breath. "They're breasts, Cayden."

"Hey, hey. Let me enjoy the goods that I probably wont ever see again," he teased. I rolled my eyes and lightly pushed him. "By the way, you never came over."

"Sorry," I apologized.

"It's all good, I know you're a busy woman. Why would you want to hang out with me?" He rambled, looking off into space all dramatic like.

"Shut up," I demanded with a laugh. "You're being ridiculous."

"I should change my name to Ridiculous!" He mused. I shook my head again with a big smile til I saw Logan walk over.

"Hey," Logan approached. He glanced at Connect with furrowed brows then turned his attention to me. "I heard I can't do business with you, that's bullshit."

"What are you talking about?" I retorted, leaning closer to Cayden.

"Yeah, that Connect guy talked to his people then they talked to me. That's bullshit, whatever your name is," he spat; eying me down all dirty like. "You should really watch yourself."

"Or how about you watch yourself?" Connect growled, causing Logan to look at him.

"I don't even know who the fuck you are, but this isn't any of your business," Logan spat. I sucked my lips into my mouth and tried to prevent a smile from being visible. Logan noticed and furrowed his brows at me.

"Actually, it is my business. I suggest you walk along and never talk to her again, before you're cut off," Connect warned. Logan's head darted in Connect's direction and his facial expression had 'I fucked up' all over it.

"Anything else?" I ask, sarcasm spewing from my voice. Connect wrapped an arm around me, then kissed my cheek and stared at Logan.

"No, sorry. I really am," Logan apologized before stalking off. I laughed and pushed Connect, then glanced to see Nathan. He stood there dumb founded, his expression revealed hurt and he stalked off.

"Great," I groaned.

"Boyfriend?" Connect questioned, shocked.

"Shush," I hushed and hurried off. I waved a hand at Connect before disappearing and catching up to Nathan. "Nathan!"

"What?" He turned around without emotion.

"Are you okay?" I ask, catching my breath and slightly leaning forward.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" His voice monotone. I frowned with a slight shrug.

"You just didn't look really happy," I muttered. "I was with my friend and that Logan guy creeped me out, so my friend made it out to be as if I was with him."

"Yeah," Nathan scoffed. "Why are you telling me? I'm not your boyfriend."

"Wow," I breathed out, taking a few steps back. "Okay, then."

"Wait, Monique," he softly said. I just shook my head and turned around on my heel. "No, please! I didn't mean it like that."

"No, it's all good. It's all good," I repeated quietly. People stared, then started whispering as I shoved past them. Suddenly guys looking down my shirt didn't matter to me anymore. The way Nathan spoke to me, reminded me of David.

"Monique." I glanced up to see Chelsea, alone.

"Hey," I greeted. "Glad to see you're better."

"Yeah," she whispered. "I'm not messing with you anymore, so yeah, sorry."

"Okay?" I replied, slightly taken back and confused.

"We'll just stay away from each other," she commented.

"David told you not to?" I ask, my curiosity getting the best of me.

"I guess we can say that," she shrugged and walked away. She has so much make up on, and I wondered if it was to cover the bruises she probably got from the mugging. I took in a deep breath and walked to my homeroom. On the way there, I saw Gabriella and Samantha. Both of them deep in conversation, standing close together and looked to be arguing. Suddenly Samantha leaned forward and kissed Gaby. My mouth dropped and I was completely shocked. Gaby backed away then smacked Sam before stalking off. She came in my direction, glanced up and froze. Both of us just stared at each other, that's when the bell rang and everyone walked around us. However, we were frozen in time. It wasn't until she continued walking and stood in front of me that something was said.

"Monique," she whispered.

"Gabriella," I replied in the same tone.

"I-" she stuttered.

"It's okay," I assured. A tear slid down her cheek as she smiled widely and hugged me. I didn't jerk away, nor did I feel gross. I didn't care that Gabriella was lesbian, or bi-sexual. I love my best friend.

"I thought you would hate me for being bi," she whispered in my ear. Okay, so she isn't lesbian.

"Why would I hate you?" I laughed, both of us breaking away.

"I, I don't know," she giggled while shaking her head. "Guess I was stupid then?"

"Slightly," I teased. We linked arms and started walking to homeroom together. "So, what was that about?"

"Well, Sam wants me to just be with her and honestly, I'm too young for that right now. You know how I am, I'm a bit-" she paused.

"Promiscuous," I finished. She shrieked with laughter and nodded.

"And I still like guys. So, why would I become official with someone when that means no more sex? John and I-" she stopped talking again. A big smile came across my face as we both looked at each other.

"Anymore secrets?" I question, slightly offended. The only reason it deeply hurt me is because I tell Gabriella everything, and I do mean everything. Yet, she couldn't tell me these few things in her life.

"Not really," she answered, looking at the floor sheepishly.

"Continue," I cooed. She returned her attention to me and smiled.

"Well, I told her about John and I. She was upset, like really upset. It was pathetic," she explained. "That's why she wanted to meet you and stuff, she wanted to make sure you and I weren't anything."

"Nice," I commented. Gabriella and I couldn't stop laughing as we walked into homeroom together, taking our seats and continued the day like nothing happened.

...

Lunch time came around and we both sat together.

"So, is she like obsessed?" I ask, glancing over to see Samantha walk by for what seemed like the twentieth time now.

"She loves me," Gabriella answered. Her face going blank, then she shook her head and continued eating her chili. It was raining again and we had to sit under shelter with a few people around.

"Really?" I giggle.

"Hey, don't laugh. I get people sprung." She popped her collar then continued eating her chili.

"I bet," I enthuse with a smile.

"So, how's your love life?" She questioned.

"Well, I'm still straight. No secrets there, or else I would've told you. You know," I sarcastically informed. It was more of a dig at her for not telling me her most personal business.

"Hey!" Gaby exclaimed, her smile faded into a frown. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry doesn't fix things, Gaby. I tell you everything," I scolded. Tears threatened to escape my eyes, but I refused to be dramatic.

"I know," she whispered, staring at her chili. "I really am sorry though. I just, I was so afraid to lose you. You don't know what it's like, Monique. Society doesn't accept me. I was afraid you'd be disgusted."

"Then you don't know me," I hissed. "I would never look at you any different. Just because you are bi sexual, lesbian, whatever, doesn't mean you like me. That's like me saying since I'm straight that I like every guy I see. I mean honestly, even if you did like me. It'd be just like a guy friend, I'd say sorry you're my best friend and leave it at that."

"Thanks," she thanked me with a genuine smile. "You have no idea how good it feels to hear that, and trust me, I wont hide anything from you again."

"Promise?" I ask, feeling pathetic for having her promise me something like that.

"Promise," she repeated. I wanted to feel like I meant something to someone. I mean, even Gabriella, my best friend, didn't tell me her most vital secret. Does this mean I'm just around? I glanced at everyone and let out a deep breath. If I died, I think only Gabriella would really be affected. That feeling hurt.

"Monique," Nathan spoke, demanding my attention. I shifted my eyes to him and rose my brows.

"Yes?" I reply, when Gabriella stood up.

"See you later," she excused herself, just as I have done for her and Samantha. I guess I kind of knew in a way, I just didn't want to speculate like everyone else does.

"I'm sorry 'bout earlier," he apologized, taking a seat next to me. I stared at my hands with a shrug.

"I'm kinda used to it," I confessed. Wow, that didn't sound emo at all. I giggled at my own thoughts and shook my head.

"What?" He asked, frowning.

"I just thought about how dramatic that was, it was funny." I shrugged.

"No, not that," he correct. His eyes intensely stared into mine.

"What did you mean then?" I breathed out, having to look away from his gaze because it became too much.

"I mean. What did you mean you're used to it? That's not cool, Monique. I really didn't mean to snap at you earlier, I'm just I don't know." He took in a deep breath. "It was stupid."

"Hormones," I justified and he just laughed.

"If you really need an excuse, sure." That crooked smile came across his face, and soon I joined his laughter. I leaned my head against his shoulder, and his arm went around me.

"Aren't you afraid people are going to say shit?" I question, barely moving my head up so that I can look at him. He looked down at me, with that crooked smile still on his face then closed his eyes and tilted his head up.

"Do you honestly think I give a fuck? I'm not David, or any of them," he answered with a cold chuckle. I snuggled my head more into his warm side, and wrapped my arms around his stomach.

"Good," I breathed out. I liked the fact Nathan isn't like them, it was refreshing. David and Connect were the only guys I associated with, they didn't leave the best impressions for how guys my age are. Now that Nathan was in the picture, it gave me hope. I mean there's nothing wrong with Connect, but when you hang out with him more and more you'll see his flaws.

"Did you want to come over today?" Nathan inquired, kissing the top of my head.

"Actually, my parents should be home. Did you want to meet 'em?" I bit my bottom lip, in fear of rejection as I awaited his answer.

"I would love too," he agreed. A wide smile on his face, so big it showed his teeth and was no longer crooked. I let out a deep breath that was almost borderlining a feminine chuckle and lightly shook my head.

"Yay!" I enthused, when the bell rang.

"You're such a dork," he teased, both of us getting up. We started walking to class when he grabbed my hand. Everyone we passed by stared, someone almost fell over because they were so interested in Nathan and I. Though, I could care less honestly.

...

Sixth period finally. Nathan actually ran all the way from his class after fifth just to get to mine in time, just so he could grab my hand and walk with me to sixth period. It was the cutest thing ever and yes, drew more attention than I wanted. When we walked inside everyone got quiet, and stared. Mr D was the only noise heard, and it was his deep chuckle from the back of the class room, it was all creepy like too.

"Great," I mutter, shrinking into my seat. Nathan simply enjoyed it, as any high schooler would. People muttered, and came to some weird conclusions. One being the reason I'm wearing the low cut shirt was to turn Nathan on so that after school we can have sex. Another is why I haven't been on anyone's topic and questions of who I am. Then an odd one I heard in this class was someone questioning how David was going to react, then they'd look at him with those stupid expressions of theirs. But my question is, why would David care? Amazing what all goes around in one class period, forty five minutes, and it wasn't even over yet!

"Alright class, shut the hell up!" Mr D demanded, standing in the front. "I'm sick of you all talking about Mister Phelps, and Miss Jensen like they're celebrities. They held hands for Christ sake, now pay attention to your books. Honestly, it's pathetic."

"Thank you," I mouthed to Mr D when he looked at me. A simple nod was his reply, and he went back to his desk. The bell rang shortly after that and everyone was quick to leave.

"Hey, I'll meet you outside. I have to rush to Miss Carter's room," Nathan informed kissing my cheek. I nodded and he ran out. Mean while, I slipped my notebook in my back pack and zipped it up. I stood, grabbed my paper and turned it in to Mr D.

"You're always last to leave," he admitted. Even his eyes shifted down my shirt for a second then quickly went to the paper I handed him. "Why is that?"

"This is my favorite class," I simply answer with a shrug.
"Plus, there's no rush to go home."

"Not even to go hang with your boyfriend?" He teased, causing me to laugh.

"Now, Mr D. He's not my boyfriend," I corrected.

"Yet," he added. At which I laughed again.

"Yeah, I suppose." I smiled, and he returned it.

"Just be safe, Monique. I don't really hear any of my students gossip about you until today, it's nice knowing you aren't doing stuff that causes attention. I'd hate for you to mess up drastically," he genuinely warned. I nodded.

"Trust me, Mr D. I wont do anything like that," I assured with a wink. My mind went directly to the gutter, seeing as I thought he was talking about me getting knocked up or something.

"Good," he cleared his throat. "Now get out."

"Okay." I giggled and rushed out of his class room. Someone grabbed my arm and yanked me back.

"Monique," David spat.

"What?" I sighed, jerking my arm from him.

"What the hell are you doing?" He frowned, no one else was around.

"Meaning?" I rose a brow.

"I thought we were going on," he stopped himself and exhaled sharply. My facial expression dropped and I closed my eyes tightly. I forgot.

"I'm not officially with him," I assure. "I'm dating around."

"Oh?" He chuckled. "Pulling a David, are we? I'm impressed."

"Ha, ha." I rolled my eyes and started walking to meet Nathan.

"No, really. You're learning wise young grasshopper," he teased.

"See you tomorrow, David." I waved with a laugh and hurried to Nathan.

"What was that about?" Nathan questioned, staring at David. David kissed at Nathan then laughed before hurrying to his truck. I rolled my eyes, turned to Nathan then looked straight ahead.

"Nothing," I answered. Nathan shrugged and walked beside me.

"So, I'm meeting your parents?" He let out a deep breath.

"Yep." I grinned widely, part of me extremely happy and another part very nervous. When I thought about the nervous part more, my stomach felt queasy and I swear I was going to faint.

"Are you okay?" Nathan, in all seriousness, inquired. His eyes shifting all over my face, observing me frantically.

"Yeah, just...nervous," I sheepishly confess. Nathan made a big 'O' with his lips then busted up laughing. I narrowed my eyes, pursed my lips together and furrowed my brows. "Stop laughing, Nathan. That's not funny."

"Oh, yes. Yes it is," he laughed out. Holding his sides now and slowed down, leaning forward.

"Ugh," I groaned and walked past him.

"Wait, Monique! Wait!" He howled, half running, half bent over with his hand over his stomach. "Please, I can't stop." He continued, his face turning red.

"Shut up, Nathan!" I groaned, then couldn't help but laugh too. He looked so ridiculous right now, and it was funny. He finally composed himself and started walking beside me as if nothing had happened.

"So, why are you nervous?" He asked, his tone so serious. I snorted and shook my head.

"Fuck you," I said with a smile.

"Hey." He pouted, and folded his arms across his chest. "That's not nice."

"I'm not nice," I reply, then stopped walking. I sounded like David. I shook my head to rid of my thoughts then caught up to Nathan again. "It's because I've never brought a guy home and well, my mom's in love with David."

"Why?" Nathan seemed really interested now.

"Because his mom and my mom are best friends," I admitted.

"Yeah, David told me a bit about that." He nodded, which caused me to look at him confused.

"He actually tells people?" I scoffed, not believing it.

"Yeah, he tells everyone that's in his little circle. They all know," Nathan informed.

"Huh." I bobbed my head back while walking. The wind blew furiously for a moment, almost knocking me over and causing my teeth to chatter for a minute. Finally we were between the brick walls, on our dirt cross walk that lead to our secret back door entrance to our neighborhood.

"So, continue," Nathan insisted.

"Oh, yeah. Well, she's in love with David and I've never brought a guy home. I'm curious to know what she'll say," I finished. I bit my bottom lip and looked at Nathan.

"She'll love me," he spoke so highly of himself.

"Just, don't be offended if she says some rude shit. She can be a bitch," I warn.

"What mother isn't?" He teased, wrapping an arm around me and we continued walking.

"Well, you should come around five," I advise.

"Oh, don't want me there now? Want to prep her for this greatness, aye?" He joked.

"Shut up," I laughed. Then kissed his cheek. "See you later."

"Late." He waved behind his head and continued walking. I couldn't see him past the brick wall, but once he entered through his little entrance to his back yard, I could see him over the small little fencing. I smiled then went inside my house. I wonder how my mom will feel when I bring Nathan home, instead of it being David. Oh gosh.
♠ ♠ ♠
:D