Sequel: Times Are Changing

Vital

Satisfactions of partial approval.

Deep breaths. Deep, deep-

"Hey mom," I greeted, embracing her in a hug. My father came over, rustled my hair then wrapped me in a hug too. "How was work?"

"Long," she sighed. I bit my bottom lip and helped them bring their stuff in.

"What do you want?" My dad teased, a cheery grin on his face.

"What makes you think I want something?" I innocently ask, a small smile on my lips.

"Mhmm," he chuckled. "Honey, I think this one is for you."

"Great," she playfully groaned.

"Well, I've invited someone over for dinner." A glint appeared in her eyes, causing me to take another deep breath. "He's new at school." Her smile faded. "His name is Nathan." Her expression turned serious. "And well, he's important to me."

"Monique," she calmly said, smacking her lips once. "What about David?"

"Well, I asked him out too. You can ask him," I suggested. My father snapped his head in my direction, gave me a weird look, chuckled and looked away. I shifted my attention from him and looked back at my mom.

"You did what?" She questioned.

"I asked him out too," I repeated, with furrowed brows.

"And what did he say?" She was so nosy sometimes.

"He didn't believe me at first, but I suppose now we are going to go out?" I was unsure of whether or not she was going to be happy with me.

"So why is this Nathan boy even coming over?" She giggled, and skipped off; of course she would say that.

"Because I like Nathan," I lightly growled, annoyed. She stopped walking and slowly turned back around. She studied my facial expression then let out a deep breath.

"You like him?" She dumbly asked.

"Yes," I confirm.

"Then why ask out David?" She teased, a sly grin on her face.

"Because when you and dad are gone, I don't want to have to go to David's. I'd rather go to Nathan's with him and his mom," I answer. Wrong move.

"You asked him out, to spend more time with another guy?" My mom licked her lips, processing my logic.

"Smooth," my dad chuckled. I know he was giving me credit for my slick decision and fast thinking. It wasn't right, honestly. But who would have thought David would even have considered going out with me?

"You're not helping!" My mom scolded my father. I gulped, shifting my eyes from the two in question on whether or not to speak. "Monique, just...go to your room."

"But, what about Nathan?" I ask.

"We'll meet him," she sighed. A big grin came across my face and I squealed before attacking her in a hug. I skipped to my room and rushed around for something 'cute' to wear. I looked at my shirt and figured it was the cutest thing I had, so I wouldn't change that. My skinny jeans were nice as well, taking into consideration of the weather of course.I grabbed a different jacket though, a girlie one that I never wear. It's really soft, thick, and pink with white lining.

"Monique!" My father yelled. I glanced at the clock and grimaced, I was supposed to greet him first. "There's a helpless looking boy here, setting himself up to fail, for you!" The exact reason I wanted to be the one to get to him before my parents.

"Hi," I weakly smiled and shyly waved. I glared at my dad, whom stood there all smug like. My mom on the other hand, folded her arms across her chest and looked Nathan over.

"I'm Nathan," he greeted, reaching his hand out to her.

"I'm Lucy," she introduced herself, politely shaking his hand. She glanced at me with raised brows and let out a sigh. Her eyes staring at the fact his Dickie's are faded and clearly worn out. His shirt was a bit over sized and a long sleeved button up, with I assumed to be a regular shirt underneath. The jacket he's wearing has a tear in the one sleeve, and he immediately took that off. Considering he didn't want them to judge him, not that we were rich or anything.

"I'm Gary," my dad shook Nathan's hand with a smile. My mom let out a deep breath then went inside the kitchen, at which I followed.

"What's wrong mom?" I asked out of instinct, knowing full well why she is upset.

"Nothing," she calmly answered. Grabbing steak and pulled three out.

"He's a vegetarian," I inform, shifting my eyes to the floor once she looked at me.

"Is that why you like him?" She rudely questioned. My eyes darted to hers and I narrowed.

"Mom," I whined.

"Monique," she sighed, rubbing her temples. "I love you."

"I love you too," I reply.

"But." Great. "I want you with David."

"Can we talk about this later?" I practically demanded through gritted teeth.

"Fine," she said with a shrug. "You don't want to hear what I have to say."

"No it's rude," I spat. I cleared my facial expression then returned to the room I thought my dad and Nathan were in. Apparently they weren't anymore, instead they were outside. I was scared, did he do something my dad didn't like and now my dad was beating the shit out of him? I nervously approached the two and heard them chuckling.

"It's very nice," Nathan complimented. "I told my dad that I wanted a nice truck like this, he has me convinced though that I should get a Hummer. Says they're amazing."

"I try to get Monique into a good taste in Vehicles, however she's hopeless." They both chuckled again, but when I approached they both just looked at me. Neither of them spoke for a while, and I felt like I intruded on their conversation.

"Well don't let me interrupt," I mutter with my hands up. I walked off and they resumed where they were, chuckling and talking. Great, they're talking about me. But I can admit, at least they're getting along.

It wasn't until dinner that I was fully grateful for the bonding my dad and Nathan had earlier.

"This is delicious," Nathan complimented. My mom just nodded then continued eating.

"So, Nathan. What do you aspire to be when you graduate high school? What are your plans?" My dad questioned.

"Well, sir. I plan to become a Psychologist," Nathan answered. My mom perked up when she heard this, since she has studied psychology. I smiled at the idea that they both of have something in common.

"Really now?" My mom finally spoke, a smile on her face.

"Yes, ma'am. I'm taking Advanced Psychology in school right now actually. My teacher wrote me letters of recommendation to the college I want to get accepted into," Nathan explained. By this time, the big grin on my face is permanent. The rest of dinner was the two conversing about their opinions on different scenarios dealing with a psychologists view. My dad looked at me then winked and I just continued smiling.

...

After dinner I walked Nathan outside.

"That went well," he said with a smile.

"Yeah," I agreed. "She was testy in the beginning but it ended nicely."

"She even gave me a hug," he giddily stated with that crooked smile of his.

"Dork," I teased. He wrapped me in his arms and rested his chin on my head.

"I told you not to worry," he whispered. I slowly nodded, then back my head away and kissed him. He pecked me back and smiled. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah," I dreamily breathed out. Our hands were linked, but as he walked away our hold slowly released and my hand fell to my side. I walked back inside, my expression filled with simple bliss.

"He's a good guy," my dad coughed. Giving me that goofy grin as he stared at my daze. I regained my composure and quickly gave him a hug.

"He's amazing daddy," I assured, kissing him.

"He makes you really happy," he commented. "Talking to him was nice."

"I'm glad you approve," I said with the biggest grin ever.

"Hey, hey. I have neither approved or disapproved yet," he corrected, a smile appearing on his face as well. "I just hope you take it slow, being your first boyfriend, and I don't want you rushing things because of hormones and yeah..."

"Dad!" I exclaimed, feeling embarrassed. My mom just laughed then walked over, ran a hand through my hair and kissed my forehead.

"He's no David, but he does make you happy. Love you," she mumbled. That was the best I'd get from her.

"Thank you mommy," I thanked. The two walked off to their room. I chewed on my tongue and sighed, going into my room. I collapsed on my bed and thought of Nathan. Tonight was simply amazing, and I was so happy that my parents were giving him a chance. I wondered what Friday would have in store for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
lol so my computer lagged, and I couldn't finish this before. Then when I come back, I realized I wasn't going to write that much more I was just so frustrated I had to calm down. XD stupid me.

DONT FORGET NEXT CHAPTER IS THE SHOUT OUT LIST! ...just saying.