‹ Prequel: Memory Lapse

Better Than Revenge

Partners

Holy hell. I spent the entire class period thinking about Alec. Sure, I’d wanted a distraction so I didn’t spill the imprint thing to Nessie and analyzing how freaking annoying the new vamp was sure worked.
For a little while.
But when did my thoughts decide to get a mind of their own and start thinking about how cute he was? About how he reminded me of snarky Damon Salvatore, who I just happened to imagine myself in love with? Or how just being near him got my heart rate fluttering, my stomach in knots, and my breathing shallow? So why had the last forty minutes been spent thinking things about him that I should not, under any circumstances, have been thinking of?
“You okay?” Dylan asked at lunch.
I was in a sour mood by then and it was noticeable. A deep frown marred my face and my brows were pinched in an unending glare. I stabbed brutally at my crappy meatloaf and mashed potatoes and only succeeded in making a mess on the ugly green tray.
“Just peachy,” I answered.
“You’re acting like Lizzy,” Rosalie said with a smirk playing on her full pink lips. “If you’re acting as bitchy as her then something is definitely wrong.”
I started. “Did you just call me a bitch?”
She smirked widely. “Well I’m glad that something made it to that little brain of yours. What gives? You’ve been distant all day. I’ve never seen you so worked up. And no, you are not a bitch, Andrea.”
I sighed. “I’ve just had a lot to think about today and I don’t like it. I think the stress might be getting to me.” Yeah, stress. That’s why I couldn’t take my mind off of the annoying killer vamp all day.
“Well at least you handle things better than your mother,” Rose muttered. “Listen, kiddo, it’s going to be fine. I’m here to make sure that nothing happens to you. I promise that no psycho Volturi guys are going to lay a finger on you. Now relax and eat something.”
I let out a laugh. Rosalie could easily be described as heartless to some people but she would have made a great mother if she was just given the chance. I leaned my head on her shoulder and let her comb her slender fingers through my hair like she used to when she’d babysit me when I was little. It was nice to get my mind away from my jumbled thoughts for a minute. While I let Rose pat my hair I glanced across the table to where Dylan was talking to Nessie, a faint blush on his dark cheeks. I let the smile slide onto my mouth.
“Stop it.” Dylan punched my shoulder as we walked to class. It actually hurt a little but I guess that was to be expected since his wolf strength was quickly coming.
“I can’t help it,” I defended. “You and Renesmee are just so cute together.”
“We’re not even together.”
Rosalie arched her perfect eyebrows. “Do I even want to know what’s going on?” She asked as we entered autos.
“NO!”
I laughed at the horrified expression on my best friend’s face. We sat in our usual seats from before all the craziness started and for a minute it was just like old times.
But of course that minute ended the second that Alec walked in and sat on my other side. Dylan’s eyes narrowed and his hands started shaking. I gently placed my hand on his until he stopped. “Don’t. It’s going to be okay, Dyl. Just ignore him. Just talk to me. You and Nessie, remember?”
He let out a huge sigh and focused back on me. “Yeah, okay. But can we please talk about something else?”
I smirked. “No. I mean, c’mon. You’ve been besties with Ness since she moved in with my family in seventh grade. I know it’s weird to think of her as more than friends but if you don’t tell her then things are gonna get really awkward really fast.”
The rest of class was spent working on our engine but it was definitely the worst class I’d ever had. Class was mostly silent at my table to the tension radiated like waves. I was relieved when it was over and for the first time I was actually looking forward to math. Sure, it was the one class that I was alone with Alec but at least that meant that the annoying vampire was the only one that I had to worry about for an entire hour.
“Well that was interesting,” he said as he slid into the desk next to mine. “I don’t think your pet likes me very much.”
“Dylan’s my friend,” I snapped. “And you’re right. He doesn’t like you.”
“But he does like the half breed.”
I growled. “Leave it alone, Alec. It doesn’t concern you.”
“I’m just making conversation,” he said innocently. God, he was so annoying.
I kept my eyes plastered straight ahead and waited for Mrs. Carter to start her lesson. The old woman smiled brightly at the class in the way that instantly had me suspicious- Mrs. Carter didn’t really smile unless she had something horrible up her sleeve. “All right. I think that it is high time for you to become the teachers. You will be partnered up and each pair will be given a formula that you must teach the rest of the class. I want your presentations done by Monday and I expect them to be good. Now, before you get too excited, I’ve already chosen your partners and formulas for you. Andrea Black and Alec Salvatore you have the volume of an ellipsoid.”
My eyebrows shot right up. So not only was I stuck with the worst partner but my topic was one of the hardest ones. See? Something up her sleeve. I was so gonna fail.
Alec smirked at me. “So, partner, when do you want to get together to work on this?”
“Never,” I mumbled.
“Well I think that we should start this as soon as possible. Maybe after class?”
“I can’t. I meeting up with some friends after school. Then I have to go to the basketball game and then dinner with my family after that. Looks like you’re SOL.”
“Then I’ll be at your house around eight. That should give you time to finish up your family dinner thing.”
I shook my head. “No. No freaking way.”
“I’ll see you then. And if we don’t finish it tonight we have the rest of the weekend to work on it.”
An entire weekend with the possibility of seeing him the whole time? This did not sound fun.
♠ ♠ ♠
okay, so it might be kinda dragging but i promise that it'll pick up within the next few chapters!
thank you so much to ShadowArcher for your comment. that totally made my day!!!