‹ Prequel: Memory Lapse

Better Than Revenge

The Kiss

Image

I was so glad that I only had to do the one song. As soon as I got off the stage I booked it away from the crowds of happy people. After everything that’s been going on I just couldn’t handle happy. I wanted to be alone and let my brain explode in solitude. I’d nearly made a clean getaway back home when I smelled that sickly sweet scent. My eyes darted quickly around the house a moment before he grabbed my arm and shoved me up against the wall. Dammit! I needed to stop letting Alec catch me by surprise!
“What the hell did my sister say to you?”
I yanked away from him. “What does it matter? Oh, by the way, that’s a lovely little power she has. And I heard that yours is even cooler. That must be so epic.”
“Did Jane hurt you?” he demanded.
“It’s not like you care, Alec, so why are you bothering me?”
He shoved away and ran his hand through his dark hair. “Look, Andrea, I don’t know why I care. But the thing is, I do care.”
“Bullshit.”
“Don’t do that, Drea.”
“D-do what?” Ugh, why was I a blubbering idiot from the way he said my name.
“Don’t pretend that you don’t know what I’m talking about. You have to like me at least a little or you would have phased by now and tried to kill me. And to be honest, I don’t think I’d fight you if you did.”
I swallowed back a lump in my throat. “You caught me by surprise, Alec. Don’t keep pushing your luck with my patience.”
“You won’t do anything.”
My jaw tightened. I was pretty sure that he was right but I was too stubborn to admit it. Crap. What was wrong with me? “Just leave me alone!”
He glared at me. “I’ll go after you tell me what Jane did to you.”
I yanked at the ends of my dark brown waves. “She doesn’t like that you’re getting so freaking close to me. I’m just the bait for my mom. Remember? Well she wanted to just make sure that I knew exactly how evil she could be when she was motivated enough.”
He ran his hand through his hair again. “I’m sorry about her,” he finally muttered.
I rolled my eyes slightly. “Of course you are,” I sneered. “Because you claim to actually care about what happens to me. If that was true then you wouldn’t be here now. You and your sister would be far out of my life.”
“What can I do to prove that I’m not lying?” he growled.
“Leave,” I answered simply although part of me was saddened by the thought. I’ve known him like less than a week and I already wanted him to stay? There was just so much wrong with that scenario.
“Fine,” he snapped. “If that’s what you want then I’ll go but first…”
He stepped forward and leaned over me so that his arms trapped me between his toned chest and the wall. My eyes widened as his lips drew closer to mine. I knew what was going to happen but it was like a car wreck I couldn’t stop. I’d never been in this situation so I didn’t know what to do and the movies were definitely no help.
“N0-” I started but I was instantly cut off.
His mouth crashed against mine and I surprised myself by melting into the kiss. My eyes fluttered closed and my lips parted in a sigh. It was my first kiss and somewhere in the back of my mind was freaking out about that fact while another part was freaking out because I was kissing a vampire. But most of my brain had shut down all rational thought to focus on him and his lips and the amazing feeling that was rushing through me.
As suddenly as it started Alec was pulled away from me. My eyes snapped open and I saw him clear across the yard over a broken pine tree. I scanned the tree line and a familiar scent made me spin around quickly.
“What the hell are you doing with her?” a low voice snarled.
I jumped a mile high. “Tony? What are you doing here?”
“You’re mother asked me to keep an eye on you,” he answered through clenched teeth, his dark eyes burning with rage.
“Of course she did,” I sighed.
Tony grabbed my hand and pulled me so that I was halfway behind him. “Give me one fucking reason not to kill you now, Alec.”
“Don’t try it, Tony. We both know that I’m better than you. I could kill you without even trying. And it’s not like you have that immunity that came from Aro.”
At that moment I wasn’t sure which one I was more worried about. “Stop it, both of you. Alec, you need to leave now,” I hissed.
He shot a look between Tony and me before he disappeared. Once he was gone Tony turned his livid expression on me and I was actually kind of scared. “Do you have any idea what you were doing?”
“Um, kinda?”
“What were you thinking? He wants you and your mother dead. Lizzy is worried sick about you and here you are cozying up with the enemy.”
“I wasn’t thinking. Look, Tony, I know what he’s doing and I didn’t mean for him to kiss me. It just happened,” I screamed. I sniffled and refused to let the tears that wanted to come escape.
“Do you remember me telling you that some of my kind actually enjoys torturing others? Alec is one of them. You can’t let yourself lose your guard around him.”
I sighed and dropped my head. “Okay. You’re right. I was stupid,” I mumbled.
I went into the house and locked myself in my room. Tony was right. I was completely stupid. I’d let him get to me. For a second I actually believed that he might somehow like me a little. How could I be that dense? He was a sadistic vampire for crying out loud! He’d even admitted to wanting to kill me to hurt my mother and I’d kissed him. Not only had I kissed him, I’d liked it. Stupid, stupid girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
dedicated to Art_Flavor for commenting! i <3 u!! shits gonna hit the fan next chapter. the more comments i get, the faster I will update!!!