‹ Prequel: Memory Lapse

Better Than Revenge

Promise

Image
My eyes were so heavy when I tried to pry them open again. My neck was stiff from lolling on my chest while I slept and it was pitch black so I’d obviously been out for a while. I was starving and for the first time in as long as I could remember I was cold. Well I guess that was to be expected seeing as I was still stark naked in the un-insulated old house.
I couldn’t just sit there and do nothing. I was alone and I wasn’t going to hesitate in trying to break the chains binding me to the cement column. I twisted my wrists even though they hurt and the rusted metal bit into them making them bleed. But I was grateful for the blood that made my hands slippery and made me that much closer to escape. Just a little farther.
The stench that was quickly becoming familiar assaulted my nostrils and I stopped moving but there was no stopping the telltale blood or the tears that had managed to trickle down my cheeks. He was there in a second and crouched next to me. He slowly reached his icy hand toward me and I flinched away from his touch.
“Andrea, what did you do to your hands?” he whispered. “I could smell the blood from a block away.”
I was shaking in fury and shame at being so vulnerable to him. I just hoped that my eyes could project the massive hate that I felt for him at that moment.
Alec sighed. “Here,” he said gently as he carefully peeled away his jacket and set it over my shivering body. “I’m going to take the gag away. Please don’t bite me.”
“I’m not in the mood for jokes,” I snarled as soon as I could talk freely. “And biting’s your forte, you fucking asshole.”
“I am so sorry.”
“Save it. I fell for your shit once but I’m not stupid enough to believe you again.”
“I really am sorry, Andrea. I don’t know what happened to me but since I’ve met you I didn’t want to use you in Jane’s plot. I hate seeing what my sister is doing to you. I promise that I’m going to get you out of here.”
I swallowed hard and refused to meet his red eyes. “Don’t make promises you can’t keep,” I mumbled, deflated of any will to fight. I was just so tired.
He lightly kissed my forehead and that one little act gave me so many conflicting emotions that it honestly only made things worse. “I am going to keep my promise.”
I rolled my eyes. “Getting me out of here means betraying your sister and it means that she can’t get revenge on my mother. I’ve heard all about you, Alec. Your loyalty to Jane is unyielding. You wouldn’t give that up just to save me. What am I to you but the mysterious wolf? That’s why you want me. I’m a riddle and intriguing. You’ll get over it. Just do me a favor and stop with your games.”
“Dammit, Andrea. I will keep my promise.”
“Then what are you waiting for?” I challenged.
He hissed under his breath and pulled away from me. He was gone in a flash and I was just glad that I was still covered with the jacket.
It took a little bit longer before I was able to slide my bloody hands out of the chains. My wrists were rubbed raw and they stung but I embraced the freedom. I slid my arms into Alec’s oversized jacket and zipped it up so that nothing was showing. As quietly as I could I started across the wooden floorboards. The moon spilled in through the cracked windows and the shredded curtains blew gently in the wind. Honestly, it felt like something from a horror movie and I was the stupid sorority chick that died off within the first few minutes.
Somehow I made it outside. There were a few trees and a huge meadow but the grass was completely dead. A cobblestone path worked its way to what looked like a village but it wasn’t like anything you’d usually find in the US. I wobbled along the stone but I was so tired and dizzy from the blood loss in my arms. I kept walking until I reached a giant fountain that seemed to be in the middle of the abandoned village. Now all I needed to do was find a way home.
I sighed and slid down to the edge of the fountain. I just needed a quick catnap and then I’d be up in no time. My eye started to close and I was ready for some well-deserved rest. I yawned and curled up into a tight ball. Just a little sleep.
“Well you’re making this easy but very annoying,” Jane hissed and I was startled awake.
My eyes snapped open and I took in the three vampires in front of me. Jane and Alec were there, of course, with an older man that had dark hair and a creeper smile plastered on his snow white face. My heart started pounding and I knew my chances of escape were small. “Well then why don’t I try to make this more fun for you?” I sneered.
The tall, thin man’s smile widened. “Well, dear, you are so much like your mother. Elizabeth had quite the sharp tongue as well. How is she?”
“Peachy,” I answered smoothly. This guy gave me the creeps and I wanted as little to do with him as possible.
Jane smiled. “I’m sure she must be very worried about you,” she said too-sweetly. “Why don’t we give Mommy a little call? I’m sure she’s just dying to see you.”
She pulled out my Android smart phone and started a video call to my mom. It only rang a couple of times before Mom’s frantic face appeared on the screen. She sucked in a sharp breath when she saw that it wasn’t me looking back. “Jane you bitch! Where is my daughter?”
“Elizabeth, dear one,” the man said cheerfully, “there’s no need for names. Andrea is here with us.”
“Aro, if you touch her I swear to god I’ll make you pay!” my mom shouted
“Would you like to speak with her?” the man, Aro said pleasantly.
“Mom? Mom, I’m fine,” I said instantly although it was obvious I was lying, especially over video phone where she could actually see how hurt I was.
“Drea, baby, Daddy and I are coming to get you. I promise that I won’t let anything happen to you.” That was one promise that my mother could afford to abandon.
Jane smirked. “Oh I was so hoping that you’d say that, Lizzy-beth. Come to Campo Seco in California. Alone. And you’d better hurry because I’ve heard that vampire venom is dangerous to the wolves.” I furrowed my brows in question for a second before I felt the sharp pain that quickly started in my neck. My hands flew up to cover the bite that the old creeper dude had just made. I screamed. Jane’s freaky voodoo was nothing compared to this. “You’d better hurry if you want Alec to save her. I’d say you’ve got about a day before the venom spreads too far.”
♠ ♠ ♠
new chapter! so whatcha think? honestly not my fave cuz it's kind of a filler but it'll get better, promise!!