‹ Prequel: Memory Lapse

Better Than Revenge

Beginning of the End

Image
*rreenneessmmeeee’ss ppoovv
I let my baby cousin have her moment of happiness kissing the dangerous Volturi vampire because, well, I was too stunned to actually do anything. Alec looked less like the psycho killer that I’d always thought he was and more like a regular boy in love with a regular girl. Only Dylan’s low whine beside me brought me back to reality. Alec wasn’t regular; he was dangerous and murderous and had been sent to kill her, unless she forgot that little tidbit. “Holy crow! What the hell do you think that you’re doing? He’s the enemy, Drea!”
She blushed and hid her face in his shirt. Alec completely ignored me and leaned close to her making Dylan growl and me get very tense. “Please don’t go,” he murmured.
“I have to,” she replied.
“Then I’m coming with you.”
I hissed. “Like hell you are. You’ll serve her up on a platter. I was there the last time your sister attacked my aunt. Jane wanted Andrea dead before she was even born. I don’t trust you with my cousin.”
“Well fortunately for me I don’t care what you say,” he snapped at me.
Dylan growled at my side and I honestly felt warmed that he would defend me. Not that I couldn’t take Alec on my own but it was still nice that he was so chivalrous.
“Enough,” Andrea snarled. Her voice was tired from all she’d been through in the couple of days but she still had an air of authority that probably came with being Alpha. “If you guys want to stay here and fight with each other, be my guests. But I’m going back to that crappy little village and I’m going to do something to stop Jane and her psycho puppet master. You’re all welcome to join me but if you do then you’d better get your shit together. Got it?”
My eyes were wide as I looked at her with newfound awe. Drea had always been tough like Lizzy but she’d never had this hard edge that was shining through. And everything she was saying made perfect sense. She was so smart and brave for being only 16.
“Fine,” I grumbled. My chocolate brown eyes narrowed at the other vampire. “But if you do anything to betray us I will kill you myself.”
Drea huffed but ignored my threat to her, uh, boyfriend or whatever he now was to her. She pulled her arms from the sleeves of the oversized coat she was wearing and phased while it was still mostly covering her. I noticed that her first few steps were sort of wobbly before she broke into a run. The three of us followed behind her toward where she’d been held hostage.
I nearly stopped in my tracks at the sight before me and my breath was caught in my throat. In the center of the square, surrounding my family, was a group of the most menacing vampires I’d ever seen. Their expressions were stony, their eyes all bright crimson, and the air buzzed with power. I swear my heart stopped when I saw one of them leap toward my mom. I didn’t think. I zoomed straight toward the attack to stop him. As much as my mother and I fought I still loved her and that bastard was going to pay for even thinking of hurting her.

~Andrea~
I ran as fast as I could. I felt the others behind me but I had to focus instead on reaching Campo Seco before the fight broke out. I saw through my father’s eyes that Aro and Jane were just too calm. Aro wanted Mom and she was just egging him on. I put on an extra burst of speed that I didn’t know I had in me.
The square was full of more vampires than I thought Aro had at his disposal. The Cullens and the Blacks were clearly outnumbered and this was going to end in a massacre if the tides didn’t shift soon. I picked out my mom easily. She was staring Jane directly in the eye as a silent dare. Crap. Mom was going to get herself killed one of these days.
I ran, my heart racing and my paws barely even touching the ground. Jane lunged but I clamped my powerful jaws onto her shoulder and knocked her away at the absolute last second before she killed my mom. She twisted out of my steel-trap grip and her scarlet eyes widened momentarily. “You’re supposed to be dying by now,” she murmured in disbelief.
I growled. Of course I was. Alec was telling the truth when he said they didn’t know he’d gone to save me.
“I’ll just have to fix that little error myself,” Jane hissed as she charged at me. I sprang to my left to avoid her attack. If I’d learned anything else from my training sessions the past few weeks I knew not to let a vampire get their arms around you.
Crap. But Dylan didn’t know that.
*Dyl! Keep clear from their grip. Follow my dad’s lead!*
*Got it!*
*Daddy! Keep an eye on Dylan.*
*Of course. Be careful, Andrea.*

Jane’s nails raked across my shoulder and a gaping wound appeared in my matted honey fur. Man, I was losing way too much blood lately. Focus. Let Dad and Dylan help each other. Concentrate on your fight.
I leaped at her but she got a swift kick into my chest. I tumbled to the ground but I was back on my feet in a second. I couldn’t afford making more mistakes like that. My eyes darted around trying to come up with a strategy to go with my instincts. From the corner of my eye I saw Jane’s panicked look as her eyes too glanced around for the upper hand. I think she may have seen it a moment before I did. Bella was totally incapacitated and Nessie was trying to get to her mother. Jane smirked and my heart stuttered in my chest. No Bella meant-
I howled, Jane’s full force trying to make my head burst. Dylan and my dad felt my pain right along with me and they each let out a whine. No. I could not let this happen. Even if it hurt more as a girl, at least I was the only one to be hurt. I forced myself to shift although it was bound to happen anyway.
“I am really going to enjoy killing you,” Jane smirked.
A shiver raced down my back but I kept what little control I had in this situation. I was starting to get a little dizzy so I thought I was imagining it when I saw the mirage-like fog slowly creeping up along the ground. It wasn’t until Jane let out a scream and spun around, releasing me from her hold that I realized what was going on. Her eyes were huge from fear and betrayal as she looked at the calm boy standing behind her.
“That’s enough, Jane. Let her go.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
a/n: okay, one more chapter and then a possible epilogue- ur gonna decide for me- then i'm DONE with twilight (slap me if i ever say i'm gonna write more fanfics on it) thnks my lovely readers. I luvs you!!! and special thanks to ShadowArcher
ps: not sure i'm likin the new mibba....
♠ ♠ ♠
okay, one more chapter and then a possible epilogue. then i'm DONE with twilight (slap me if i ever say i'm gonna write more fanfics on it) thnks my lovely readers. I luvs you!!!