‹ Prequel: Memory Lapse

Better Than Revenge

Pissed

LIZZY’S POV
I couldn’t control my temper after I found out that they’d all been hiding something so big from me. I didn’t even stay for the rest of the La Push high football game and I knew that the girls wouldn’t appreciate my walking out but I didn’t care at the moment. I climbed into Jacob’s red Volkswagen Rabbit and sped quickly to our little stone cottage on the edge of the La Push territory.
I yanked my phone from my pocket the second the screen door slammed shut behind me and dialed my twin’s number. “Hi Lizzy. What’s up?” she asked cheerfully.
“Do you know?” I snapped. “Do you know that Jane’s brother is here in La Push?”
There was a sharp intake of breath on her end of the line. “Wh-what? When? Are you sure?”
“Apparently our daughters have smelled him for the last two days, including at their cheer thing a little while ago. And nobody told me anything about it.”
“Oh, damn. We’ll be back in Forks by tomorrow. Edward!” she shouted away from the phone before her voice quieted a little to talk to me again. “I’ll see you in the morning, sis.”
I took a deep breath and collapsed into the couch. Sure, I was human, but that didn’t mean that I was more useless than any of the supernatural people I hung out with. I deserved to know what was going one. Andrea was my daughter for shit’s sake!
“Lizzy?” Jacob called cautiously from the front door. His footsteps were silent as he made his way to the couch were I was still sulking. He carefully sat next to me but I immediately scooted away from him. “I take it you’re still mad?”
My eyes widened. “Fuck you, Jake. You’ve known about this shit for two days and didn’t even have the decency to tell me? You can just go to hell.”
He slid a little closer to me and draped his arm around my shoulder, pinning me against his warm side even when I tried to wiggle away. “Lizzy, listen to me. Drea was so sure that it was a one-time thing and we didn’t want to worry you if there was nothing to worry about.”
I sniffed against the tears that were threatening to spill from the corners of my eyes. “The last time that Jane attacked, she nearly took you away from me. I don’t want my baby’s life to be at risk, too. I know that Jane isn’t above using everyone that I love.”
In one quick movement I was pulled on Jacob’s lap, his face nuzzled in my hair. “I know that you’re worried, Lizzy, but I promise that nothing is going to happen to her. Trust me?”
“You know that I trust you, Jake, but I hate that all of you kept me from something so important.”
“Okay, no more secrets,” he amended. “Now that we know who we’re looking for we’ll be on higher alert. I’ll start doing some patrolling, too.”
I nodded and rested my head against his incredibly toned chest. “Keep her safe, Jacob. I don’t want those stupid vampires to get anywhere near my daughter.”

ANDREA’S POV

“My mom is so pissed,” I confessed to my cousin as we climbed into my car after the game. My head hadn’t been on the rest of the game at all after the half.
“It’ll be fine, Drea,” she tried to comfort me. “Lizzy flies off the handle every now and again but she can’t stay mad forever.”
I sighed heavily. “I know that she won’t be mad forever but did you see how hurt she was? I should have told her what’s going on.”
She patted my arm gently. “It’s going to be okay. I know that your mom was upset but she probably just needs time to cool down. Auntie Liz loves you. Don’t forget that, Andrea.”
I shot her a small smile and pulled into our dirt driveway. I didn’t have to see her to know that my mother was sitting on the front porch waiting. Mom’s scent was familiar and comfortable but it had an undercurrent of bitterness from her disappointment. “Girls,” she greeted monotone. “Nessie, I talked to Bella and she wants you to call her when you get the chance.”
She nodded once before shooting me a smile and heading inside to call her own worried-sick mother. I sat on the swing next to my mom and just waited. It was a long time before she finally said anything. She tucked her feet under her and leaned against my shoulder. “Drea, I’m sorry that I freaked out like that. I know that I overreacted but hon, Jane and anyone close to her are dangerous. You have to understand that.”
“I do, Mom. I didn’t know that it was them and I really wanted to prove that I could handle this on my own.”
She started and sat up quickly, looking me directly in the eye. “Who did you want to prove that to?”
I gnawed on the inside of my cheek, a little habit when I was nervous that I’d picked up from her. “I don’t know,” I admitted. “You and Dad. Myself. I just wanted to know that I could be a good alpha and that I didn’t have to keep turning to my daddy for help with pack problems. I wanted to show myself that I could be as strong as Dad and as tough as you.”
She let out a laugh. “Baby, you’re way stronger than your dad and you’re definitely tougher than me.”
It was my turn to nestle into her shoulder. “Mom, I don’t mean like, tough like a wolf. You’re human and you still stood up to a vampire and a witch when you were pregnant and your heart was broken. As far as I’m concerned, that’s about as tough as they get.”
I saw the sad look that crossed her face as she remembered the dangerous past and the future she’d nearly lost. “I wasn’t tough or brave or anything else like that. I was stupid. You are smarter and better than I ever could have been. You can do anything.”
A single tear slipped down my cheek. “Thanks, Mommy.”
Mom squeezed my shoulder and stood, pulling me up to my feet. “With that said, you’re in big trouble for putting yourself in danger by not accepting help and also for making everyone lie to me. I’m still plenty pissed at you girls for that and Bella and the rest of the Cullen clan will be here in the morning.”
“Are you going to ground me?” I asked hesitantly.
She shook her head, her dark waves swinging wildly. “Nope. Instead of grounding you Bella and I have decided that you girls need a little more training. Starting tomorrow after school you’ll be taking lessons from Carlisle, Emmett, Edward, Jasper, and Tony. You two wanted to show that you could protect the pack from vampires so badly so we think that it’s a good idea that you get a crash course taught by vampires.”
I grimaced. “But that’s going to take away any of my free time.”
My mom smirked. “I know. And trust me- lessons with those guys aren’t nearly as fun as they might sound.”
♠ ♠ ♠
wow, its been very quiet here. anyone there? :0