‹ Prequel: Memory Lapse

Better Than Revenge

Training

My day started off normally enough. I ran patrol in the morning with Leah but there was a smug air in her thoughts the entire time. I had three tests during school and then two hours of cheer practice. By that point I was totally exhausted but I still had to go over to the Cullens’ white mansion along the river. Nessie and I drove the fifteen miles from La Push to Forks. The scent was overwhelming and stung my nose just a bit. From the smells that were gathered it seemed like everyone was already there.
Alice Cullen, the small pixie-like vampire with the spikey dark hair, was yanking me from my seat the moment I cut the engine. “Oh, Andrea! You’ve gotten so big!” she gushed. “I haven’t seen you in forever!”
“Hi, Alice,” I smiled.
“Hey, auntie,” Renesmee added as she passed by on the way into the house.
Alice linked her arm into mine and started pulling me to the porch. “I am totally taking you two shopping. I’ve had no one to shop with but Jasper for the last month. It’s been so boring.”
“You guys aren’t back so that she could be your dress up doll, remember?” Mom said easily cutting into Alice’s happiness and making her pout.
Mom sat with Rosalie, a gorgeous blonde woman that pretty much embodied perfection, and Leah. The three had been best friends when my mom was younger and were still thick as thieves despite that my mom was old and Leah and Rose were supposed to be natural enemies. My mom says that it’s because- and I don’t usually use this word- they’re all bitches. I will admit that they do have a lot of the same personality quirks that make them intimidating, even to me.
“The guys are waiting for you out back, Drea. Let Alice pout and you get your butt outside.”
Alice stuck her tongue out at my mother and collapsed next to Rosalie. I let the group of gossiping women and went to the massive backyard. The river cut a path between the grassy yard and the woods. Renesmee sat on the bank with her feet in the water and it looked like she was arguing with her own mom. I tried not to eavesdrop but bits of their conversation still floated into my supersensitive ears.
“I’m nineteen, mother. You don’t exactly get to keep telling me what to do.”
“Yes, I do.”
“Why? I’m technically older than you are.”
“This isn’t a game, Nessie! You weren’t there. I know exactly what the Volturi is capable of.”
“I was there when that witch and the vampire tried to kill Aunt Lizzy. I saved her life, remember? Besides, Jane isn’t even Volturi anymore.”
“Just because I’m immune to their powers doesn’t mean that you are.”
“That’s why Drea and I are here! Now, if you don’t mind, Daddy and the others are waiting to train us a bit.”
“You okay?” I asked as she stormed up to me.
She rolled her chocolate eyes. “Fine. Moms can just be a pain in the ass sometimes.”
“Renesmee,” Edward snapped suddenly, making both of us jump. Edward Cullen was handsome, I guess. He had the same strange bronze hair as his daughter but he had a much lighter complexion and his eyes were the honey gold of all the vegetarian vampires.
“Yes Daddy?” she asked with the best little angel smile. Edward’s face instantly softened and he became like putty. So that’s where I learned that trick!
“Don’t talk about your mother like that. Let’s get started.”
I gave him a salute. “Okay, Uncle Ed. What’s on the agenda?” He winced a little at the nickname. In some aspects I was definitely just like my mother.
Carlisle stepped forward. He was the patron of the Cullen clan, the one that had created most of the vampires in his family to save them from true death. He was handsome and young with blond hair and the kindest look anyone could have. “Lizzy has asked us to teach you to really fight vampires. Andrea, as a wolf I know that it is instinctual for you but there are still some things that you should know to better prepare, especially when it comes to Jane and Alec.”
I nodded. “Okay. Just tell me what I need to do.”
“Tony spent many centuries with the Volturi and he knows the twins quite well. He and Jasper have had extensive experience fighting our kind. They will instruct you the most.”
“I’m just here for my good looks,” Emmett chimed, flexing his muscles. I giggled. Emmett was big and buff and a goofball. He had the good looks of all vampires with his dark hair contrasting against his pale skin.
Tony rolled his eyes before he started speaking. “Jane and Alec both have powers to enter your mind.”
“Like Edward?” I mumbled.
“No, not like Edward at all. Your uncle can read your thoughts but what they do is cause you pain.”
“How is that entering your mind?” I interrupted again, earning a glare from the older half-breed. “Sorry. No more talking.” I pantomimed zipping my lips and throwing away the key although everyone there knew that it was only a matter of time before I said something again.
“The pain they cause is not physical. You only think that you are hurting. That is the biggest problem that you will face should you ever encounter one of them.”
“So wha-” I stopped and raised my hand until he nodded in my direction. “So what are we supposed to do about that?”
“You hope that it does not come to that. Alec has so far been the only one that you may have come across. He enjoys to save his power until the end of the fight. For now we will be teaching you how to defend against physical attacks. Today the objective is not to get pinned.”
I had time to blink before Edward and Emmett pounced.
♠ ♠ ♠
fyi: comments make my life. ;)