‹ Prequel: Memory Lapse

Better Than Revenge

Annoyance

By school the next day Dylan still hadn’t figured out how to turn back. When I was done training I spent most of the night with him trying to help through the change. He was getting the hang of it but he was fast asleep still in his wolf skin when I dropped by on my way to school.
When I got there, Carlisle was signing Rosalie up for classes. She was going to be a Senior while Nessie and I were Sophomores so I would only get maybe a few classes with her but I knew they were trying to weasel into any that she could share with me. People gawked at the beautiful blondes as they passed and I rolled my eyes.
The morning went by slowly. I was exhausted and kept nodding off until the teachers would snap at me and startle me awake. Seth let me nap for a few minutes but even he had to follow the rules and make me pay attention. At lunch I didn’t even bother to get a tray of food. I plopped at a table and rested my head on my folded arms so I could get some sleep. It was a little hard, though, when Rose sat and an army of boys followed in an attempt to get her attention. I lifted my head enough to glare at them and noticed that Alec’s eyes were narrowed at Rosalie. I smirked a little. Ha! At least having Rosalie meant that he wouldn’t bug me.
The first class that I had with Rosalie was right after lunch. She followed me to the auto shop and I heard a few snickers when we arrived. Until Rose showed up, I’d been the only girl. Everyone assumed that just because Rosalie was hot, she wouldn’t know her way around cars but the truth was that her skills could possibly rival my dad’s. We took a seat at one of the long tables that were usually used in science classes and she started talking about how easy the class was going to be. I listened halfheartedly for a while before my nose started to sting and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.
“Miss Black. We missed you yesterday,” our fat, middle-aged teacher Mr. Rust said.
I gave him my best smile. “Sorry, Mr. Rust. I had a bit of a family emergency.”
“Mhmm. And would this family emergency have anything to do with Dylan Uley?”
“No,” I replied innocently. “Dylan caught a bug at lunch and he’s still sick today.”
He raised his caterpillar eyebrows and his white mustache quivered. “Well since your partner is not here today, Miss Black, you will be working with our new student Alec Salvatore. Miss- Hale, is it?- you will be working with Scott Price.”
Rosalie’s eyes widened for a second but I held my blank gaze. I can handle this, I told myself even though I was freaking out inside. Reluctantly, Rosalie rose from her chair and was replaced by the vampire that had been stalking me.
“Well aren’t I lucky?”
I snorted. I barely moved my mouth so I was nearly inaudible but I knew that Rosalie would be listening in with no trouble. “I’ll bet. Does this make it easier to try and kill me?”
He rolled his eyes which kind of shocked me. I’d thought that he was supposed to be like this high-ranking official or something. “It would be pretty easy anyway. But I wouldn’t do it here with all of these witnesses.”
I ignored him and started taking apart the large engine that was sitting on the desk in front of us. “So you’re never going to talk to me? That’s a little rude.”
“Oh that’s rich coming from the one that wants to murder my mother. And Salvatore? Seriously?” Once I’d started I couldn’t stop myself from ranting. “The most creative last name you could think of was from a Renaissance Italian vampire in a fiction novel?” {A/N: I couldn’t resist; I know in the tv series they are from 1964 Virginia}
He looked a little sheepish. “You know those books?”
“Please, The Vampire Diaries is like the best series ever.”
“Hmm,” he hummed. “I agree.” And on that lovely little note he finally shut up for the rest of class.
But then class ended. As I was packing up he tapped my shoulder. I froze for a second but I would not let him affect me. “I’ll walk you to your next class.”
“I’m good,” I snapped.
He smirked. “Yes, but I know for a fact that it’s the one class that neither of your vampire friends have with you that I do.”
I swallowed back a lump in my throat. It was true that neither Renesmee nor Rosalie would have math with me. I was still in Geometry and they were both in high level statistics or something that I didn’t understand. “Then I-I’ll see you in class,” I mumbled before I threw my bag over my shoulder and hurried off to Rosalie.
She shot me a half smile. “You gonna be okay?”
I nodded. “Yeah, I’ll be fine.” I wasn’t sure who I was trying to reassure more.
Mrs. Carter’s classroom was typical with desks arranged in rows facing the chalkboard. Yes, she still used an ancient chalkboard. There was no assigned seating so I was one of the few people in the front row- hopefully so that I’d learn something. I was searching my backpack for my pencil when I heard all the girls making a commotion. Alec had walked in. I doodled in my notebook trying to ignore him as he gracefully slid in the seat next to mine. “See, we could have walked together.”
“The only problem with that idea is that I don’t like you.”
“That’s harsh considering that you don’t know me.”
“I know enough. What are you really here for? If you want to try to kill me then why don’t you? Why play games?”
“Because games are fun, Andrea,” he said smugly.
My jaw clamped shut and I turned my attention the Mrs. Carter’s lecture but part of my brain was stuck on the immortal sitting beside me. Okay, so he was cute, but that didn’t mean that my stomach should have jumped the way it did when he said my name.
♠ ♠ ♠
hello? anyone there?