Join Me In Death

Prologue and Chapter One

Prologue

Bam attempted a small, simple trick on his way up to the door and failed it. Today just wasn’t his skateboarding day. He cursed and picked the board up as he opened the door. He walked into the living room, only to find almost everyone who was usually hanging around his house in one room, and surprisingly quiet.

They all immediately looked up at him, sorrow and pity on their faces. Bam shifted uncomfortably. “What’s up?”

“Bammie, honey…” April started.

“Hey, I’ve told you, Ville’s the only one allowed to call me that.” Many of the people looked down at their hands when he said that. Bam’s eyes widened. “What? Did something happen to Ville?” He had been expecting his lover to arrive later that night. When no one answered he began to panic. “Did... did something happen to the plane?”

“I’m sorry, honey…” was all April could say, walking towards her son and touching his arm gently. Bam dropped his skateboard and began to shake.

”No… Did it crash?” April tried to hug him but he pushed her away, tears beginning to cascade down his cheeks. “Tell me! Tell me what happened!”

“They found him in his hotel. He overdosed...” April gave him a sad, motherly look and Bam just stared at her.

“He… he killed himself?” Bam’s world was dissolving around him. “No… you’re lying. He wouldn’t do that…”

”I’m so sorry..” April said again and he saw complete truth in her pain-filled eyes.

She held him as he crumbled in her arms and just sobbed.

Chapter One

Bam stumbled into his room, giggling. One hand held a bottle of vodka, and the other waved wildly in front of him- reaching out in the dark room to sense anything he could run into. He just ended up smacking the back of his hand into his dresser and pulling it back as quickly as his intoxicated mind would allow. He just let Dunn guide him to his bed, drunken giggles still escaping from his chapped and chewed lips.

“Get some sleep, Bam…” Dunn requested softly. He helped Bam onto the bed before leaving the room, sighing sadly as he closed the door behind him.

It had been the second time Bam had left his bedroom in three weeks. The first had been a week before, when he’d collapsed on a couch in the living room and sobbed until April found him and carried him like an infant back to his bed. This time he’d snuck downstairs when everyone was away, only to get so falling-down drunk that he didn’t know it had been Dunn that had brought him back to his private sanctuary. But he still couldn’t forget Ville.

He was thankful for the darkness that concealed his many posters from his view. He didn’t want to spend another night studying the perfect features of his dead lover- the eyes that were now closed forever, the lips he would never kiss again- until his eyes were too blurred with tears to see anything.

He clumsily crawled towards his pillow and took one last swig of the vodka before letting it slip out of his fingers and onto the floor. It fell on his side and the carpet slowly absorbed it. He slapped his hand onto the small stereo next to his bed and seemed to sloppily press every button three times before he finally heard the beginning beats of Your Sweet Six Six Six. He hugged his pillow and closed his eyes, hoping his head would stop spinning soon.

He knew he’d never be able to forget Ville. No matter how miserable it made him or how much pain it caused, Bam just couldn’t stop reflecting over how perfect his lover had been or how safe and happy he’d felt in Ville’s strong arms. How he could never have that again. And no matter how much all of these thoughts were destroying him, he didn’t really want to forget.

The soft melodies of the third song drifted out of the speakers.

We’re so anxious to be together,
Together in death…
Would you die tonight for love?
Baby, join me in death…
Would you die?
Baby, join me in death…


Bam hugged the pillow closer. “I would die for your love…” he mumbled softly. He sighed and his eyes welled up with tears as thoughts of his lover filled his mind. “Why’d you leave me, Ville?” he whispered into the night. “It’s not fair… How could you have left me like this?!” Bam cried out to nothing.

He was answered by a small voice on the other side of the room. “I’m sorry…”