Join Me In Death

Chapter Three

Bam sighed, repeatedly bouncing a small rubber ball against the wall opposite him. He had taken to sleeping during the daytime and staying away at night, not that it made much difference to him. His huge, thick curtains were always closed, blocking out any and all sunlight, and his door was only opened when someone would bring him some food as he slept. In fact, Bam hadn’t seen another living sole in four days; not since April had cared for him all day after he found out his night with Ville had been nothing but a dream.

But he still believed it had been real. That’s why he’d changed his sleeping pattern to stay awake all night in case his lover appeared. Part of him knew it was a hopeless attempt, but the other part wanted it so badly that he didn’t care.

He stopped his game and when he heard something rustling outside his window, and he hurriedly scrambled to it. Throwing the curtains open and opening the window.

Everything was completely still as the cool night air caressed his face. There were no squirrels sprinting across tree branches, no birds flying across the sky; there wasn’t even any wind. And most disappointingly of all… there was no Ville.

He sighed and shut his window, tugging the curtains closed. He had gotten his hopes up only to have them crash back down on him. He returned to the bed, resuming his catching game with the wall.

He threw the ball six more times before glimpsing a figure leaning against the wall adjacent to him, watching him. He turned to look just as the ball was coming back to him and it hit the top of his head and bounced off.

Ville couldn’t help but laugh as Bam yelped in surprise. The younger man quickly recovered from the shock and leapt out of his bed, throwing himself at Ville and clinging to him.

“Ville! You’re here again!!”

Ville smiled and held him. Bam sighed happily, enjoying Ville’s sweet scent. He wanted to once again feel the joy of Ville’s warm embrace, but he found his lover to be quite cold. “You know, Bammie, if I was a flesh-eating zombie, you’d be pretty fucked right about now.”

Bam pulled away slightly, his arms still wrapped tightly around Ville. “Are you a flesh eating zombie?” he asked with a quizzical expression.

Ville shook his head, smiling. “No.”

“Then… What are you? You… you don’t feel alive. You’re too cold, too pale…” Bam gently traced Ville’s jaw line with his fingers. “Am I dreaming?” He pulled away completely and began to pinch his arms violently.

“Stop it, Bam. You’re gonna hurt yourself.” He grabbed Bam’s hands and held them.

Bam stared at him and his expression softened. Ville could see pain in the pure blue eyes that he adored. “Why’d you do it, Willa? Why’d you leave me? I need you…”

Ville frowned and kissed his forehead. “I know you do, Bam-Bam.”

“Then why’d you commit suicide?” Ville ran his fingers through Bam’s dark and greasy curls.

“I didn’t.”