One Day You'll Know

Wedding Day

Flowers line the path leading McKinley to one of the most important moments of her life. At the altar Nate waits, his grey tuxedo cut so slim and sleek making his silhouette appear long and lean. His lilac paisley bowtie contrasts in perfect balance with his white shirt and jacket.

McKinley inhales as she takes in every detail of her future husband before taking her first steps down the aisle. Her only chance to run and never look back would be now but she could never imagine living another day without Nate at her side as her husband. More than ready to begin their journey as spouses, she takes her first step.

All eyes are on her as she seemingly glides down the path, her white dress hugging her just right with a slight A-line beginning just above her natural waist. The high neckline with a peek-a-boo sweetheart cut under a lace overlay shows off her pointed collarbone and feminine jawline. Her brown hair is up in a simple wavy up do with playful surprise braids keeping her looking elegant and relaxed.

Nate’s face becomes clearer as she approaches the altar, his eyes are glistening with tears pressing against the brims and a smile overwhelms the remaining features of his faces. He reaches out his hand to hers as she climbs the final steps to take his side at the altar and whisper final I-love-you’s to one another as they turn to face the preacher.

The preacher informs the guests that they may be seated as he begins the ceremony. “As you all know, we are all gathered here today to celebrate and witness the joining of Nate and McKinley in marriage.” McKinley struggles to follow the preacher as she fights back tears and trembles. Nate squeezes her hand for reassurance as they await their vows. Both steal brief glances at one another during the reading of several verses, nervously smiling with so much elation and butterflies in their stomachs.

“McKinley and Nate, as I understand, you have both written your own vows today. Nate, you may now share the vows with your bride.” The preacher gestures to Nate to begin.

Shakily, Nate turns to face McKinley more directly. “McKinley- Kinley, the seven years I have known you something deep down always told me that you would be the woman I would spend the rest of my life with. For better or for worse, you’ve been the one person I could imagine at my side. Your words have always been kind and inviting and I will never forget how much I stuttered when we first met. It was like words failed me but you made up with it with your genuine heart and gentle, lightheartedness. Even now, words fail me as I profess my love to you in front of the most important and cherished people in our lives.

It has been a lifelong journey so far to find the one woman who I intend to spend the remaining journey through life with and I know now that I have found exactly what I was looking for and more. McKinley, there is nothing that I want more than to spend my days with you and to call you my wife. McKinley, I promise to you that I will be absolutely faithful and all the love and support you will need in life.”

McKinley sniffles softly before beginning her vows while gazing into Nate’s teary eyes. “Nate, the day my father met you he told me that you would be my husband. That we would have many years together, taking life’s journey one step at a time. He told me, that if you didn’t ask me to be your wife that he would personally go to you and ask you ‘what is wrong with you son’. Seven years with you seems so long, but the rest of life seems so short. I want nothing more than to know that we can spend an eternity together.

Your jokes, your messes, and your tea-making-talent are what make you so special, and I am so excited to be able to say that you’re mine. You will be mine for the rest of our lives and beyond, through all the crying and laughter, the playful bickering and arguments. Nate, you’re mine forever and I intend to make every moment with you count.”

The preacher smiles, “only one question remains for both of you, Nate, do you take McKinley to be your lawfully wedded wife?”

Nate nods, beaming with elation. “I do,” he looks into McKinley’s eyes as he fumbles to place the wedding band on her finger with trembling hands.

“McKinley, do you take Nate to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

Several tears fall over the brims of her eyes as she almost cries out the words ‘I do’ as she slides the band on Nate’s finger. Both are glowing with excitement and true elation as they gaze at one another.

“Then it is with great pleasure that with the power vested in me, I pronounce you husband and wife. Nate, you may now kiss Mrs. Nate Allen.”

Nate wraps his arms around his wife as they kiss. Their lips dancing across one another’s in sweet romantic kisses. They turn to face their guests as the recessional begins, arms intertwined they make their way down the aisle followed by their guests and well-wishers.

The first person to exit is McKinley’s mother and father. “Beautiful vows, Nate we are so happy to finally call you our son. It truly is an honor to have you as a new addition to our family and we look forward to many, many years to come and future grandbabies.” McKinley’s mother squeezes Nate tightly before taking her place next to them as the guests stop to give them and their families their best wishes and future married-life advice.