A World Behind those Eyes

2

O ------------------------------ O

“Probably just a rabbit son.” I stared at the man, watched him nervously look around him and scan the trees as he hugged something to his chest. Wide shoulders, long legs, muscled arms , handsome face, brown eyes, dark brown eyes and tanned skin. I looked the man over as I inched my way closer. I listened to his breathing and in time with his heartbeat flitted from tree to tree until I was above him. My tail swished eagerly back and forth as I released my hold on the tree and fell.

There was a loud thud as I landed on the man and took us both to the forest ground. The man screamed as I tore into his neck with my claws. I licked at his wound but flew back and screeched as he kicked me.

“Get away! Stay back!” He picked up a heavy branch and swung it at me as I padded in his direction. I watched the arm with the branch but noticed his other arm was hiding something behind his back. My ears perked up as a cream colored face looked out from behind the man’s legs. I stopped in my tracks and stared at the wide eyes of the small creature. I watched as its small hands tightened their grips on his pants as its light gray almost white eyes darted fearfully in all directions. That was when it all clicked in my mind, the small child behind the man couldn’t see, it was blind. I looked back to the man with the branch.

“D-daddy, wh-what was that?” My ears pricked at the frightened, gentle, light voice of the child, I still wasn’t sure whether it was female or male. I looked closer at it; it had hair as dark as the night sky, velvety soft looking cream skin, small pink lips and its light almost white eyes. Eyes that seemed so curious, eyes that though couldn’t see this world, could in time…maybe see another. I looked back at the child and felt something in my heart as I stood and walked away.