A World Behind those Eyes

10

O --------------- S ---------------O
“Ssssssssyyyyeeelllll!” I opened my eyes to complete darkness.
“Wh-where am I?” I jumped as something cold slithered by my arm.
“Yourrr in the shhhhhadow wwwwoorrrllld.” I turned around, searching for the person who spoke but the voice seemed to have come from everywhere. I shivered as the air around me suddenly got colder.
“Who or wh-what are you?” I flinched as something sharp poked my cheek.
“I ammm the darrrknesss you sssee everrry minute of the day, I am the voicesss you hear at nnnight. I am the cold you feel that sssendsss shivers down your ssspine. I am everything you fear. I am a goddess of the night and shadow world.”

“But how did I g-get here?” I hugged myself as it got colder.
“You were sssent to me by one of my children, he wishesss to give you sssomething but first, would you like to play a sssmall game Syel?”
“A g-game?”
“Yess my delicate boy, a game. The room will be filled with ssscreamsss, you must figure out which is that of your fathers.”

“No! Wh-what if I d-don't want to play?” I turned around as a finger slid down my neck and deep growling like laughter echoed through the dark.
“If you don't play then you don't get my child's gift and you won't leave. You'll stay here with me...forever. Is that what you want little Ssssyel?”
I shook my head. “N-no...”

“A shame, on to the game then!”She clapped and I fell to the ground holding my hands to my ears as the room exploded with high pitched screams from women and deeper screams from men, but somehow over the screams I could hear the hyena like laughter of the shadow woman. “Come on Syel! Lisssten hard!”

I breathed in and out and lifted my hands from my ears, wincing at the noise. My ears are very sensitive to noises and now they feel like their bleeding. Ignoring the pain I listened to each scream, looking for my father's. Tears flowed my cheeks and I hugged myself when an all too familiar scream met my ears. “I found it!”

“As I can tell, what a shame. I would have loved to keep you.” Just as suddenly as the screams came they were gone. “Well I play fair ssssso...”
“So wh-what? What-” I screamed as my eyes started to burn and throb.
“My child has given you a gift, but this gift will connect you to him and he can take it from you at any moment.” She continued to talk over my screams. My eyes felt like they were on fire! I thought I was in pain when I was awake, but this was ten times worse! “My child has given you a new life, a new way to look at the world...” The pain suddenly left as I was thrown backwards. I stretched my arms out but there was nothing to hold onto as I was falling. I tried calling out for help but my voice was gone, so I continued to fall in silence and thats when I noticed my heart wasn't beating. I closed my eyes tightly.

“Okay Syel, come back to me.” I opened my eyes just as my body slammed into the ground.

...Thump...thump...thump...