A World Behind those Eyes

13

O ------------------- T -------------------- O

“What happened to your sister?” Syel’s being so curious, its cute. I turned around to see him pick up a branch and start poking things with it.
“When she was old enough to take care of herself she moved to the forest that’s past the mountains. I haven’t seen her since that day.”
“Aww, I’m sorry Terran. I haven’t seen my family either. My mom got really sick when I was younger and died and my dad, well he was killed by some animal. I miss my parents and I miss my siblings too.” My shoulders slumped as he mentioned his father, the man I had killed years ago.
“Well the forests a dangerous place.”
“Terran, I’m curious, you said you were a boy on the outside but at the same time a girl on the inside: why is that?” I felt my cheeks heat up a little, I didn’t really want to talk about this with Syel.

“Umm, well there aren’t a whole lot of my species left, with hunters, other predators, a forgotten goddess, difficulties with…the um birthing process, my species evolved into each individual somewhat being both genders to make chances of two individuals meeting and um reproducing easier. Though we don’t technically have to mate inside the lines of species.”
He tilted his head, something he always does when he’s confused. “What do you mean?”
“We can.. .mate with a human or an animal if we wanted to and the child would still be born a shifter.”
“But since your both genders, you-”
“Can mate with female or…male and still have a kid.”

“Interesting…very, your people adapted so they wouldn’t go extinct.”
“Yes now how bout we talk about something else?” He smiled at me and nodded his head while continuing to poke things, including me, with the stick. We talked about random things while we walked. I loved hearing him talk and loved seeing him smile when he saw a new bird or plant.

We stopped at a small stream to rest and drink water. The fur on my tail bristled and my ears twitched as I heard a howl. Syel looked up then looked at me.
“What was that?”
“A howl…”
“Is it from a normal animal?”
“No, it’s a shifter.” I sniffed the air as another howl joined the first. “Two shifters, one male wolf and the one female fox. I think we should get going Syel.”
“O-okay yeah lets go.” We both stood and started walking. Every time Syel heard a howl he stepped closer to me. The two others were getting closer and by the sound of their howls, were not in a friendly mood. “They’re getting closer Terran.”

“I know, Syel close your eyes and cover your ears.”
“Why-”
“Just do it, now hurry.” He did as I asked. I closed my eyes also and thought of my animal self. Fur, fangs, claws, and speed. I screamed as I felt my bones begin to curve and snap. I dropped to the floor as my screams turned into growls and my body heat up and tingle. When the pain was gone I opened my eyes and shook myself off.
♠ ♠ ♠
roar!