Rebels With a Cause

Part Two

“Get out!” Andrew begged, pressing his face against the window and making kissing faces. I giggled, kissing back, separated by just the one layer of cold glass. We had finally parked after Andrew's realization of being way too high to safely operate the motor vehicle, and while the rest of the boys had gotten out right away I had gotten way too comfortable in my seat. Locking the doors seemed like the only reasonable thing to do, and I definitely didn't mind seeing Andrew show an expression aside from aloof. I pulled away and breathed on the surface, scrawling a sloppy heart onto the fog before it faded away. I unlocked the door finally, and Andrew saw the chance, quickly opening the door before I could lock it again, which was not saying much, as my reflexes had slowed to that of a deceased sloth.

“I’m not getting out,” I laughed, closing my eyes and leaning the chair all the way back down.

“Watch your head Bella,” he warned, leaning over to unbuckle my seatbelt and cradling me in his arms as he lifted me out of the van. He left the door wide open as he stumbled down to the river, almost losing his footing a few times but surely making his way all the same. It took me a few moments to realize that I was in water as he gently set me down, and even then I didn’t fully comprehend how freezing it was as it rushed over my boots and through my hair, slowly absorbed by my sweatshirt as I reclined back, feeling like I weighed little to nothing as I did so.

I rested my eyes for a few moments, relaxed by the sound of the river. It was vicious, slowing down for nothing and mercilessly dragging anything that got in its way along with it, but managing to be simultaneously calm and peaceful. It was a solace for me in the midst of the frenzy that I had seamlessly become a part of. I watched as Andrew rid himself of his tee shirt, kicking off his converse and stepping out of his tight jeans, leaving nothing on but his boxers, bandanna, and sunglasses. He acted no different as he eased into sitting next to me, inhaling the crisp night air, savoring it as much as he had the smoke.

“Take off your sunglasses,” I blurted out, wanting to see his eyes, wanting to at least have a familiar face to look at as I experienced the world in what felt like a completely new dimension. He slid them off without question before folding them and hooking them onto the collar of my sweatshirt. We locked eyes after he did so, and though I tried to read his expression it appeared as though he was just pondering - looking at a “what’s wrong with this picture” puzzle, awaiting an oddity to manifest itself.