Hanging By A Moment

A Talk with Ross

It had been an hour since Carla had gotten home, only to come face to face with her brothers.

FLASHBACK

“What the Hell happened to you?”

Carla sighed as Chris helped her sit at the stool in front of the counter. “I’m fine.”

“Oh sure. First you say you are almost at the party, and then not show up. And then Renee runs out like the building’s on fire and Peter tells that she is getting you from the hospital.” he exclaims.

She rolled her eyes. “Okay first of all, Renee freaks out about everything. Secondly, it wasn’t my choice to be in the hospital.”

“What happened to your ankle? Stop avoiding the question.” Ross, her oldest brother, said sternly.

She stared at the wall. “My car broke, and I got home late. I didn’t want Renee to wait for me, so I told her to go without me. I was walking and apparently some idiots don’t know how to raise a piano into a home.”

“Oh my God.” Chris gasped.

She shook her head. “Like I said, I’m fine…thanks to Noah.”

“Noah?” Ross asked immediately. “Who the Hell is Noah?”

“The man that saved me.”

END FLASHBACK

Carla sat on the couch, watching Saturday Night Live and eating some left over pasta that Renee had brought her from the party.

“Are you okay?”

She looked up and saw Ross standing in the doorway to his bedroom. Chris had left earlier to go home to his husband and kids, but she since she shared an apartment with Ross she couldn’t get rid of him…not that she would want to.

“I’m fine, Ross. Seriously.” She said.

He nodded and sat next to her. “I know.” he paused. “So Noah…”

She chuckled. “Shut up.”

He grinned. “Was he cute?”

She rolled her eyes. “No.” She paused. “Maybe.” She looked up at him. “Fine! He was extremely hot. Is that what you want to hear?”

He laughed out loud this time. “Yes. It does. Did you get his number?”

She stared at him, wide-eyed. “I can’t believe you are asking me this! Aren’t you supposed to be the “big brother” and want to hurt this guy?”

“Not when he saved your life from a falling piano.” Then he sighed. “Plus…maybe he could help you.”

She cocked her eyebrow. “What are you talking about?”

He hesitated. “Carls…I love you. But…you’ve been in this funk for a few months now. You haven’t tried out for anything lately and…I’m worried about what is going to happen to you once I marry Emily.”

“I will be fine, Ross. You don’t have to worry about me.”

“I’m your big brother. I have been worrying about you since the day you were born. I promised to protect you until you went to Jesus, if I remember correctly, and I’m not breaking that promise.” he said quickly.

“Ross…I’ll be fine. I am just…in a funk, okay? I can take care of myself.” She sighed.

He looked at her and then nodded. “Okay.” he got up to leave and then stopped. “You should know…they weren’t happy that you didn’t show up tonight.”

She groaned. “Of course not…image is everything.” she grumbled.

He nodded. “We’ll handle them tomorrow.”

She grinned. “Go to bed, idiot.”

She ducked as a pillow was thrown at her and started laughing. Then she sighed. Who was that man that saved her, and how could she find him again? She didn’t know, but she hoped she would get the chance to see him again.