Te Amo

Hades Shows Elysium To Persephone.

She emanated a soft glow, the only light in the never-ending Underworld. I remembered the feeling of the suffocating blackness my first few weeks of rule - how I was certain I’d never see the light of day again, never again know beauty.

I was hit with the sudden crazy desire to return with Persephone back to the surface before the gloom had a chance to penetrate Persephone’s light. But I managed to abstain, and instead steered her towards the River Styx where Charon was waiting. I was partially relieved to realise that the ferryman smelt of raw meat, because it meant that he had fed Cerberus, but I was also horrified to realise that he smelt of raw meat, because it was a thoroughly disgusting smell. I glanced over towards the goddess, an apology on my lips but she smiled brightly at me, apparently unaware of the eye-watering stench as the boat drifted down the river. My lips twitched upwards in a grotesque mockery of a smile. Persephone seemed to find it charming, however, and her laugh echoed down the river and throughout the Underworld. For a moment, the usually incessant screaming of the tortured paused, and I was sure it was to do with her laugh.

It could make even Hell seem like a nice place.

After an uncomfortably silent ride down the river in which Persephone seemed to be drinking in the whole Underworld through her eyes, and Charon did his best to hide the smirk on his face, we arrived in Elysium. I stepped out of the boat first and, heart racing, offered my hand to Persephone. Smiling, she took it, and I could have sworn electricity crackled when we touched. It was either chemistry or my brother Zeus being cruel. Knowing him, I’d have put my money on the latter.

As it always did, the Elysian Fields took my breath away. I was constantly surprised at how beautiful the place was. Of course, when Elysium was first created, it was separate from my rule and only allowed admission for demigods, mortals with godly relations, and heroes. When it had expanded to be included under my rule, it had stayed a paradise - an almost separate entity from the rest of the Underworld. Flowers were blooming, the sun shining, its rays glinting of the stream of Oceanus. It was a beautiful place, and made the rest of the Underworld seem even more droll and despondent by comparison.

Persephone’s eyes lit up, and she clapped her hands in glee. ‘Oh it’s beautiful!’ she exclaimed. ‘Oh, if I were able to die how I’d want to spend my afterlife here!’

I said nothing, too busy watching her reaction to the most beautiful part of the Underworld. I felt a pang of disappointment run through me. Of course she’d found Elysium beautiful - why wouldn’t she? - but it only seemed to confirm my fears that she’d hate the rest of my domain. I followed close behind her as she made her way through the fields, stopping occasionally to talk to heroes. Achilles was there, as was Theseus and Hector, and in the distance near a pomegranate tree, I could make out Odysseus.

My black cape dragged along behind me, conspicuous and startling against the bright green grass. I felt like an outsider in this garden paradise, despite it being under my rule. It was full of bright dancing beautiful colours whilst I was a monochromatic mess. Luscious scents filled the air as the fruits intermingled with the sweet smell of nectar and ambrosia. Normally mortals would be unable to eat the food and drink of the gods, but as the spirits in Elysium were already dead, it didn’t matter. Persephone looked as though she belonged here. I did not.

Ignoring the glances of a few curious spirits wondering why their ruler was visiting them, I managed to walk directly beside Persephone as she wandered towards the pomegranate tree.
I thought she wanted to talk to Odysseus, until she reached out a hand and plucked a juicy pomegranate from the tree. She split it open, its ruby seeds gleaming in its scarlet heart, and I just managed to stay her hand before she took a bite.

Persephone looked at me in surprise as I cried out, my hand firmly on her cream-coloured wrist. Slowly, she dropped that half of the fruit.

‘What is it?’ Her emerald eyes bore into my own, trying to decipher the secrets I hid. Hastily releasing her wrist, I explained that if a being were to eat food from the Underworld – any food, regardless of which part of the Underworld it comes from – then that being would have to stay forever in the Underworld, unable to leave and see daylight again. They would be stuck in this perpetual darkness. I told her that I didn’t want that to happen to her. She was the Spring goddess, after all.

Her eyes softened, and she raised her hand to my cheek. It felt warm again my cool skin. ‘I guess I should thank you then,’ she whispered, ‘for caring so much about my safety and happiness. It’s very compassionate of you.’

I would have flushed, had it been possible.

Persephone’s hand lingered on my cheek just a moment longer, before she pulled away, her dress swirling about her. ‘Oh, I should be going home now! I’m so sorry, Lord Hades,’ she said, racing off to where Charon was waiting with the boat, ‘but my mother will be worrying, and I don’t believe it good for the goddesses of Spring and Harvest to let the sun set on an argument, do you? I wouldn’t want the crops and flowers to wither.’

It was all I could do to nod. I felt like something had been torn out of me. I’d been so stupid. Why would she want to see any other part of the Underworld once she had seen Elysium? I’d been a fool to take her there first.

The boat ride back was another silent one, and as I handed Persephone her means of getting back into the Upperworld, I knew I was acting surly. I couldn’t help it – there was an even bigger hole in my chest than there had been before.

A small shaft of sunlight broke through the cavernous roof, illuminating the goddess and my heart gave a heave.

As she began her ascent, I almost had a coronary when I heard her say ‘Don’t worry – I promise I’ll be back. After all, you’ve still got so much to show me!’

If I could have died, I would have done so a thousand times over.
♠ ♠ ♠
I took liberties in this chapter - moreso than in the others. I added names of heroes even the timeline was off, and I used Elysium and Elysian Fields interchangeably. The former was because I wanted to add some familiarity to the story, the latter because not even the Ancient Greeks themselves ever really agreed on what to call the Underworld's paradise. Apologies for how long it took me to get this up.