Te Amo

Hades Stays In The Underworld With Persephone.

I was speechless. Persephone’s eyes glittered, and there was a pink blush – the colour of sweet pea petals – on her cheeks. We looked at each other in utter silence, until Demeter broke it. My brother was too surprised at Persephone’s revelation to hold her mother back, but she didn’t hit me again. She just cried.

Demeter filled the cavernous room with her wailing. In between her large, gulping sobs, she blamed me for brainwashing her beautiful daughter, for threatening her until she conceded to live with me, for kidnapping her. It was obvious she didn’t believe her daughter’s confession and, to be honest, I was having trouble believing it myself.

I had to be dreaming. That was the only obvious explanation for something so absurd to happen. Yet Persephone’s mesmerizing scent and Demeter’s unholy screeching convinced me that I wasn’t dreaming, and this was, in fact, reality.

Just as all this was sinking in, the Spring goddess, clearly incensed by her mother’s disbelief, turned around and kissed me.

It was like being kissed by a garden full of petals. Soft, silky, smooth, delicate and scented. It made my head spin. When she pulled away, a faint smile played on her lips, and she let go of my wrist, only to slip her hand into mine. I was euphoric.

Demeter, meanwhile, was still furious. Realising that her tears and attempts to vilify me were worthless, she resorted to standing stock-still, waves of cold fury emanating from her. Zeus too, was standing still, but it was more out of shock than anger. I didn’t know why he was so surprised – I was the one who’d just been kissed by the Spring goddess. I didn’t think my heart would ever recover.

Persephone turned to face her mother, a triumphant look in her eyes. ‘Hades didn’t kidnap or brainwash or threaten me, mother. It was all my idea, and he didn’t have a clue. I’ve liked him ever since I first saw him – he was so different and it intrigued me. I’m sorry if you don’t like it, but it’s the truth.’

Demeter blinked slowly, then, almost imperceptibly, nodded just once. Zeus did the same, but looked more forgiving and calmer than Demeter did. Persephone smiled, squeezing my hand tightly with joy.

‘Don’t worry Mother – I’ll only live here for six months a year. The other six months I’ll spend up there with you! That’s fair, isn’t it?’

Another curt nod, and Demeter explained through gritted teeth that, whilst she still wasn’t happy with her daughter’s choice, and would do everything she could to tear us apart, it was after all, Persephone’s choice. This worried me – I was almost glad I didn’t live above, and wouldn’t have to see what happened to the poor crops and plants when Persephone was here in the Underworld. A grieving mother was a sight no one wanted to see. An angry, grieving goddess was even worse.

Without another word, Demeter turned on her heels and stalked out of the room, retreating back to the world above. Zeus followed, not far behind. Soon, it was only Charon, Thanatos, Persephone and I left. After shooting them a poignant look, Charon disappeared, muttering something about the River Styx and a pile-up of souls waiting to cross. Thanatos too, took his leave, saying that there were plenty of souls to collect.

When they were gone, Persephone let out a low sigh. ‘I really do apologise for being so… so sneaky and stubborn and, well, for doing what I did. It wasn’t smart of me, and it was terrible of me to assume that you do – or ever could – feel the same way about me and now you’re stuck with me for six months every year and –‘

I kissed her, bringing an abrupt stop to her breathless rambling. I still couldn’t believe my good luck. Surely I was the least deserving of such happiness?

But I’d never been one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Image


That was centuries ago. Persephone and I are still as happy – if not happier – than ever, and she spends six months a year with me in the Underworld, when there is winter in the Northern Hemisphere (don’t even get me started how that works with summer in the Southern Hemisphere – you’d have to ask Apollo, as he is the Sun god).

Demeter still spreads that nasty rumour that I spirited away her daughter, and unfortunately mortals still seem to believe it. I hope now you’ll see that the story of me being evil and kidnapping Persephone is all a lie, and the product of a spurned mother’s wrath. I mean, you see the product of that every six months, when winter rolls around. The worse the winter, the angrier Demeter is.

Persephone and I are very much in love, and to be honest, I sometimes still struggle to believe my good fortune. She’s so perfect, and I’m honoured to have her as my wife. As well as (hopefully) clearing my name, there is also a moral to this story. There are both sides to every story. Never believe something until you have heard the other side of it.

Persephone and I look forward to seeing you in my domain in the future. Thank you.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't hurt your brain trying to work out how the whole '6 months/autumn-winter/spring-summer' thing works with both hemispheres. Just go with the flow ;)
Well, the story is complete!
The chapter title isn't really what I wanted, but it fits with the pattern that the rest (unintentionally at first) fell in to.
I'm pleased with how this whole story turned out, and I'm eternally grateful to my commenters and subscribers. I know that Greek Mythology isn't a common theme on here, and it means a lot that people read (and liked) this story. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.