Player of Hearts

Player Of Hearts, Keeper Of Dreams

Avalee Todd slowly glanced around the room, taking in everything she seen as she walked in a slow pace towards the second table of three chairs, one already filled with a body of mass. "Avalee?"

"Bret," Avalee said stiffly as she sat down and brought her two year old daughter Victoria Todd in her lap. "How are you?"

"Oh God," Bret whispered as he looked at the dark strawberry blonde little girl in Avalee's lap, her eyes were the brightest blue, like the sky on a clear day, her smile was just as bright showing a missing tooth on the top. "She's beautiful Avalee."

"Yes she is," Avalee nodded her head as she glanced down at Victoria with a smile, she then glanced back up at Bret. "Why did you want me here Bret?"

"I haven't seen you in two years Avalee, I miss you so much, and you're my sister. I love you."

"If you loved me," Avalee started as she sat Victoria in the chair beside hers, handing her Avalee's car keys to keep her occupied. "You would have let me be, let me have my own life, but you didn't and you took away my husband and the father of my child."

"I'm so sorry; I've told you I don't know how many times, it wasn't my intentions to kill him!" Bret slammed his hands on the table with a sob. "I never meant to hurt him."

"But you did, and you hurt me, and Victoria."

"Not purposely Avalee, never would I do something like that purposely, I love you," Bret whispered as he reached out his cuffed hands to grab hers, she pulled back slightly and shook her head slowly.

"I can't forgive you Bret, I'm sorry because I want to so much, but every time I look at Victoria I see the man I love in her eyes, I see the one person who loved me for who I am, not who I was supposed to be. The one person who made me feel like I could fly and I never left solid ground," Avalee shook her head slowly and took a deep breath. "And you took him away for your own selfish reasons, and for that I can't and I won't forgive you."

"Please Avalee," Bret sobbed softly as he held his head in his hands. "I need you."

"I need Victor, but you can't bring him back," Avalee began to tear up as she watched her brother weep. "Understand I do love you, I can never repay you for how much you done for me, and how much you loved me, but this is my life and you are not taking it away from me."

"I'm not…"

"No you're not, because the guilt that you're unintentionally making me have, won't stop me from being a great woman, an amazing friend and an adoring mother, I love you Bret. But you've lost."
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

Image