Sugar, Sugar

Chapter Three

Chapter Three

My daddy came in to wake me up and he was already dressed as King of the Mardi Gra Parade, for the fifth time in a row. In his hand was a new tiara, perfect to wear with my wedding dress. He put it on my head and I smiled.

“Oh thank you daddy! I love it!” I said hugging him.

“Now you best be getting ready, my little princess has to look perfect for her big day,” he said.

“I love ya daddy!” I yelled as he left. I squealed and jumped up out of bed and made my way downstairs for a quick breakfast before starting the beautification process.

Night had set and it was finally time to get the show on the road. I was looking fabulous in my wedding dress and new tiara and my Daddy was wearing his Mardi Gra best and waiting in the Packard while I went to fetch my prince.

“Prince Naveen, darling. You better hurry up, you don’t want to be late for our Mardi Gra wedding,” I said calmly as I knocked on the door.

“Um, getting dressed. Just a few more minutes, dearest heart,” he said and sounded like he was struggling a bit.

“Okay, honey lamb, we’ll be waiting in the Packard,” I said still trying to remain calm. It was getting awfully late. “Daddy, start the car!” I yelled to him hoping that the Prince would get my point and hurry up. I mean, both my father and I had been dressed since well before noon.

Finally he came out and we made our way to where all the floats were lined up. We found ours which was just perfect. It was a bit over the top but it was my big day, I deserved it. The parade began and soon our wedding was underway. Everything was simply perfect.

“Dearly beloved, we are gathered here tonight, in this fine celebration, to join together this Prince and this young woman in holy matrimony.”

This was it. I was about to become an actual princess. Things were going so perfectly, I had completely forgotten about how long it took Naveen to get ready. Then things took a turn for the worse. We were so close, we were about to be pronounced man and wife when all of a sudden another damn frog jumped out and completely pulled Naveen off of the float. What is with frogs these days? Is it because people eat their legs?

Naveen landed face down on the ground and I leaned over to edge to see him.

“Oh, goodness gracious. Are you all right?” I yelled down to him.

“I just need a moment to compose myself,” he yelled while getting up and running into a nearby building.

“Cheese and crackers,” I yelled out frustrated. Really? I am so close and now he needs to compose himself? Where did that frog go? I am so ready to hunt it down and eat it’s legs myself…and I don’t even like frog’s legs!

I waited, and waited, and waited. The parade ended and I got off the float and made my way to the building Naveen was hiding out in. He was going to get a piece of my mind right now.

I started banging on the doors, which would not open and started yelling at him, “Prince! Prince Naveen! Your shy and retiring bride-to-be is getting antsy!”

I finally got the doors open and walked in to not see Naveen anywhere. Instead there was this old fat guy who turned around when I walked in, “oh, hello darling!” he said with a pathetic wave. I knew that voice anywhere, it was the voice of my Naveen, but that definitely was not Naveen.

I screamed. I almost married that guy!? Ew. He screamed as well and ran out. I stopped and watched him flee while trying to figure out ‘what now’. That’s when I heard another voice.

“Miss LeBouf! Please, down here!” I looked down and there was that damn frog from before standing on top of a table. “Allow me to introduce myself. I am the real Prince Naveen!” Is everyone Prince Naveen? Am I Prince Naveen now? I mean seriously? I looked for something nearby and it happened to be a book and I squished the frog with it. That’s when I realized the frog was talking. It took me a while but once I realized it, well, I did squish it with a book didn’t I?

“Of Maldonia,” it finish pathetically. That’s when I realized one more thing. Frogs can be Princes. It said so in the Frog Prince. If this really was Prince Naveen turned into a frog all I had to do was kiss him and he will turn back into the handsome prince and we can get married and live happily ever after! Forget all I said before.

“Did you say ‘Prince’?” I asked smiling. I put the book away and the frog came over to me. We went outside and sat on the steps leading into the building and he proceeded to tell me the entire story. So that’s where Tia went. I stopped by her house but her mama said she hadn’t been home. I just figured she was working, but I was too busy planning to stop by and see her. But there was a lot of story in there.

My daddy eventually arrived and had that Prince impostor arrested while I sat there with the Frog Prince.

“Goodness gracious. This is so much to absorb,” I said rubbing my head, “let me see if I got this right. If I kiss you before midnight then you and Tiana will turn human again. And then we’re gunna get ourselves married and live happily ever after, the end?” I was getting excited again. This time it was even more like my ideal fairy tale.

“More or less,” he said rushed, “but remember, you must give Tiana all the money she requires for her restaurant. Because Tiana, she it my Evangeline.” It was touching, but I had no clue what that meant. But I sure as hell was going to try and help her get her restaurant, just like I’ve tried in the past. Maybe with his persuasion she will actually take my money without me plotting something.

“Anything you say sugar. Pucker up, buttercup,” I said and leaned down to kiss him when I was stopped by the voice of Tiana.

“Wait!” she yelled hopping over to us.

“Tiana?” he asked turning to her.

“Tiana?” I asked shocked. I never expected to see her in frog form, especially since she hated them so much.

“Don’t do this,” she said hopping her way over to Naveen.

“I have to do this. And we are running out of time,” he said.

“I won’t let you!” she said grabbing his hand to stop him.

“It’s the only way to get you your dream!”

“My dream? My dream won’t be complete without you in it. I love you Naveen.” He smiled and made his way over to her and helped her stand up.

“Warts and all?” he asked.

“Warts and all,” she said. It was so darn touching, I know I got a little teary eyed.

“All my life, I read about true love and fairy tales. Tia, you found it! I’ll kiss him! For you honey. No marriage required,” I said and picked Naveen up I was just about to kiss him when the clock tower struck midnight, “Oh my word, maybe that clock is a little fast!” I quickly kissed him, and again, and again. Nothing happened. “I’m so sorry,” I said putting him down. I was feeling lousy now I didn’t even notice when a large alligator ran up and the two of them hopped around to him.

Now both our dreams weren’t coming true. That’s why Tiana was so depressed during my ball, her dream was crushed, and now mine is too. I guess we’ll just have to go on and continue to try and make them come true together. At least we still had each other, but now she also had her Prince Charming.

Daddy took me home after dealing with all the hullabaloo that happened that night and I took a long bath before going to sleep. I was a long and strange day, a Mardi Gra I wasn’t going to forget in a long time.

I slept late. I wasn’t feeling all too grand after the tiring and very confusing day I had just experienced. When I finally made my way out of bed I dressed and grabbed something to eat in the kitchen and made my way to my room where I proceeded to read all of my fairy tale story books I had collected over the years.

I had just finished reading Cinderella when my father came to tell me that I had visitors. I couldn’t possibly imagine who would come to visit me. The only friend I had was Tiana and she was a frog…and how could Daddy know a frog was Tiana?

Either way, I couldn’t keep anyone waiting so I made sure I looked presentable before heading down to the sitting room. The loveseat that the two visitors were sitting on was facing away from the entrance but I knew the back of one of those heads like the back of my hand. I ran to her and hugged her from behind before making my way to the other side of the love seat.

“Oh, Tia! You’re human again! How did it happen? Where is,” that’s when I noticed who she was sitting with, “Prince Naveen!”

“Good afternoon, Miss LeBouf,” he greeted, “I believe we weren’t, er, formally introduced. I am Prince Naveen of Maldonia.” He kissed the top of my hand and I could have fainted there. I knew he was Tia’s but I still loved Princes and one just kissed my hand.

“Oh, it is nice to meet you, especially in your human form. But, how aren’t you frogs anymore? What other princesses are there around here?” I asked moving back to sit on one of the parlour chairs.

“Well that’s what we came here to discuss,” started Tia, she then turned to look at Naveen who nodded his head for her to go on.

“You can tell me anything, honey, after all that we’ve been through together. I’m all ears,” I said.

“Naveen and I, after we decided to stay frogs-,” she started.

“And I am so sorry about not being able to help.” She gave me an amused look,” right, sorry, no talking. Go on.”

“In the swap we had the VooDoo lady, Mama Odie, marry us. Then we kissed and since I was married to him it made me a princess and we changed back,” she explained and I couldn’t hold in my squeal.

“Oh that is so cute! My best friend a Princess Frog! But you couldn’t have invited me to the wedding?” I asked appalled.

“Well we can’t exactly tell everyone our frog story, they’ll think we’re crazy, so we are having another wedding,” Tia continued to explain.

“And of course you are invited, but also want you to be our wedding planner,” Naveen continued. I was about to express my opinions when Tia quickly intervened.

“Now before you make it into anything like your past, well, would have been wedding, sorry about that, we just want to keep it simple,” she said.

“Oh of course! I will work day and night to help you. Oh Tiana I’m so happy for you!” I exclaimed and hugged her, “oh I have to get started right away! When is it going to be?”

“As soon as my parents get here from Maldonia,” said Naveen, “I sent them a letter as soon as we were back in New Orleans.”

“Great!” I shouted. This was going to be so much fun. I have the lovers that had found true love and I got to help create their fairy tale wedding! I was so excited I didn’t even have enough emotional capacity to be sad that I didn’t get the Prince.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading, and please review.

-Charlotte