Wish

Chapter One

Chapter One

The early morning market place was busy as usual, which meant it was the perfect time to steal. Suhki quietly climbed down off the roof of a nearby house and into the ally. Her yellow eyes scanned the market place and made note of the palace guards and where they were placed. To them she was known as Tiger Eyes because that was usually all they saw of her before she made her get away.

Right now she wasn’t looking for food, she already stole some when they merchants were first opening up. No, now she was on a mission for some new clothes. She had been wearing the same clothes for quiet some time but they finally got torn and it was time for something more. She was currently wearing her old outfit but had a blanket tied around her shoulders making her look like a beggar. She hunched over and hid her long black hair under the blanket and walked into the busy market.

She made her way over to the clothing booth and luckily there were many women gather around it. She found a shirt hanging off the table and she grabbed it and some pants and tucked them under her blanket before walking away at the same paste that she arrived in.

Finally back at her home she took out the clothes and looked at what she got. It was a red top that was tank top style only it was cut just under the bust. The pants looked like a skirt when she put them on because off all of the extra fabric, usually the end would meet the ankle and cause the pants to look puffy, but these didn’t have that. She threw her old clothes away and stretched in her new clothes.

“Those look nice,” came a voice from behind her. She turned and looked and saw her best friend and house mate, Aladdin.

“Well I couldn’t wear my old clothes after all,” she said, “and it’s all your fault.”

“I didn’t force you to come with me. And you were the one that slipped and got caught on some old wood,” he said.

“Yeah, yeah,” she said as she walked over and stretched her arm out for Abu to climb onto her. He made his way to her shoulder and glared at Aladdin.

“Don’t give me that, Abu,” he said.

“What did he do now?” Suhki asked Abu as she walked away from Aladdin.

“I didn’t do anything! I gave my half of our bread to some starving kids and Abu followed suit!” he shouted.

“So you haven’t eaten? Aladdin, if you keep giving your food away both of you are going to starve. I know you’re good thieves but look at you,” she said walking over and lifting his vest to show his skinny, yet slightly muscular torso. “I care about those starving kids as well, but I worry about you more.”

“I know,” he sighed, “I’m sorry Abu.”

“Here, I have some left over fruit from my breakfast,” said Suhki grabbing the fruit from inside her blanket and tossing them to Abu and Aladdin.

“Thanks,” said Aladdin smiling and Abu quickly devoured his food. Suhki sighed and sat down. Aladdin sat next to her and looked her over again.

“Those clothes really do look nice on you,” he said after swallowing the food in his mouth.

“For now, while they’re new and clean. But soon they will look like yours and have patches,” she said picking up the patch on his pants.

“You sewed this patch on,” he said.

“And I did a good job too,” she said releasing the patch and leaning back onto her back.

“So what do you want to do today?” asked Aladdin once he was finished with the fruit.

“Sleep, but it is too hot,” she said putting a hand over her eyes.

“Yeah, it’s been really hot today, when I was out running those guards I was sweating almost instantly,” he said.

“Aladdin,” she groaned and turned to look at him.

“I wasn’t caught.”

“Clearly, but I told you to avoid them at all costs.”

“Well I tried, but they saw me. I didn’t lead them here, if that is what you are worried about.”

“Good, I don’t need to be caught.”

“Please, no one knows who you are. You are stealthy, the great Tiger Eyes. I bet that merchant wouldn’t even know you stole these clothes if you walked past his stand right now.”

“That’s because I am good. You need improvement.”

“Then teach me, oh wise one. Do you remember I found you?”

“We found each other. You were stealing bread and ran into an alley where you ran flat into me, who was merely walking away with my own bread and we were both caught. If it wasn’t for me being able to cry on demand we would have been thrown in the dungeon or something.”

“I know, I know. I owe you. So what do you wish for?”

“You.”

“What?” he asked startled. Suhki sat up and leaned closer to him.

“You,” she said into his ear, “not to make such a commotion every time you go to the market.” Aladdin breathed out a sigh of relief and looked at her as she moved back and laughed.

“We both know that won’t happen,” he said trying to shrug off his reaction.

“Well that is my wish. You aren’t going to be my genie?”

“Nope.”

“Fair enough,” she said before getting up and leaving. Aladdin looked at Abu who shrugged and went after Suhki. Aladdin sighed and caught up with her and they wandered around together for the rest of the day.

That night it was hot and living outdoors it made for a restless night for Suhki and Aladdin. Poor Abu, who loved to sleep cuddled next to the two, was off to the side because he created too much body heat.

Suhki turned over onto her side and groaned. She had tried to go to sleep but she couldn’t so she decided Aladdin couldn’t sleep either. She shook him and he turned onto his side to face her and glared at her.

“What?” he groaned, rubbing his eye.

“It’s too hot,” she whined. Aladdin rolled his eyes and smiled.

“It’s always this hot this time of year.”

“I know, but I kind of want you to suffer with me.”

“All right,” he sighed glanced over at Abu. He was sound asleep with the small breeze coming from the window blowing on him.

“Do you know what our future is going to look like?”

“What do you mean?” he asked turning back to look at her. She was looking at him and her eyes held fear.

“What is going to happen to us? Are we just going to steal and live day by day with uncertainty?”

“Well, that’s all we have right now,” he said trying to make her feel better but didn’t know what answer she was looking for.

“Did you know that the Sultan is desperately trying to get his daughter married? She’s my age too,” said Suhki moving so she was looking at the collapsed ceiling and the stars beyond.

“Really? I didn’t know that. You have time to eavesdrop though when you steal,” he said moving to look up as well.

“Why do you think so many princes have been coming here. A lot of girls my age are already married.”

“Wait- are you saying you want to get married?”

“I always thought once I was married I could start a family and then I would show my parents that I made it without them and that I wouldn’t abandon my child.”

“I’m sure there is someone out there for you to marry. You just have to find him.” Suhki glanced at Aladdin through the corner of her eye and then sighed and curled up into a ball with her back to Aladdin.

“I’m going to try to sleep,” she said.

“Night,” he said and continued to stare up while Suhki closed her eyes and tried to get that aching feeling inside her to go away.

The sun rose high in the sky and Aladdin was off getting breakfast for him and Abu while Suhki went off to hear what news she could around the market. She was calmly walking along when she saw who she was looking for.

“Madame Ha, how are you this morning?” she asked as she helped the little old lady onto her chair. Every morning this little old lady would come out and sit on her chair and observe the market. Every other day, Suhki would come to her and get the news that people would tell Madame Ha.

“Hello dear, new clothes. Trying to reel in a suitor are you?” she asked.

“No, my old clothes tore, had to get some new ones. So what is the latest news?” she asked kneeling in front of the woman.

“Well the princess turned down another suitor just yesterday. I hope you aren’t as picky as her. Do you still hang around that boy?”

“Yes, you know I do.”

“Well I say marry him before someone else does.”

“We’re friends, Madame Ha. What other news is there?”

“Well the weather is getting hotter. And there was quite the commotion in the market place earlier today, something about a crazy girl,” she said.

“Oh, well is that all?”

“Yes, not much yet.”

“Thank you Madame Ha. Enjoy your day.”

“You too dear.” She said. Suhki smiled and just meandered around the market before deciding to head home where she was met with a surprise.

She sighed after a long day in the heat and walked into her home where she hoped Aladdin was and managed not to get in trouble today. She heard voices so she knew he was home, but who else was there.

“Aladdin?” she called out. She stopped at what she saw. Aladdin was here all right, but with someone else and by the looks of things, they were about to kiss. Suhki felt something inside her break and she decided now would be a good time to leave. Aladdin never liked her that way, anyway. As she made her way out of her old home she wondered how long Aladdin had known this mystery girl.

Lost in thought she didn’t notice the guards that were on the prowl and they immediately recognized her as her eyes flashed up to them and they grabbed her. And held her as they went inside. Before she knew it she was being dragged away and Aladdin had joined them. It seemed like they were after him, but since she was a target for a while she just assumed they took the opportunity to grab her as well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading and reviews are welcome.

-Charlotte