Fresh Air

Chapter Two

Chapter Two

“Follow me,” he said and walked out over to his balcony. She followed him and looked down at the palace rooftop below.

“You’re crazy, I can’t get down there,” she said stepping back away from the ledge as he sat on the railing and swung his legs over.

“With my help, you’ll be fine,” he said holding his hand out to her. She just looked at his hand, “come on.” She took a deep breath before taking his hand and swinging her legs to the other side of the railing as well.

“You go first, I’ll follow,” she said. He nodded and jumped down the short distance to the rooftop below. He reached up and she jumped as well. She almost lost her footing but Eric had a firm grip on her waist and steadied her.

“You okay?” he asked. She nodded and they quickly made their way down to the ground. They snuck out of the palace grounds and soon were a safe distance to move into a walk.

It was an awkward silence between the two, both were lost in their own thoughts, but Eric was too happy to notice the way Rosette kept looking at him. He had his mind on one thing only and that was finding that girl. Soon they were in town and he would look at every passing woman, almost like he had a twitch or something. They had made it to the edge of the town and Eric was still looking around frantically.

“Okay, you really need to calm down. You’re beginning to worry the townspeople, and me,” she said putting a hand on his shoulder and turned to her as they stopped walking.

“You’re right. I don’t need my people thinking I’m crazy before I rule,” he said rubbing the back of his neck, “I didn’t see her, did you?”

“May I remind you, we don’t know what she looks like. Are you sure it was a girl and not just an effeminate male?” she asked smiling. He smiled and shoved her with his elbow.

“I’m sure it’s a girl, and I’ll know her when I see her,” he said determined.

“How about we make our way back through town and this time we go slower, and I know a few places on the outskirts of town where we can look,” she said turning back towards the way they came.

“Good idea,” he said, “let’s go.” He offered his arm to her and she looked up at him.

“Sorry, prince but don’t you think that if I took your arm it would confuse people and possibly her?” she hesitantly asked. She would have loved to have taken his arm, but she wasn’t selfish.

“You’re right. See, I told you were smart,” he said and started to head back towards town. Rosette just mentally cursed at herself and followed behind him. He also said she was pretty but she didn’t believe that, she was just a smart, hard worker who would never have a chance with the prince.

They made their way through town, not just looking but taking in the sights. Eric bought them some sandwiches for lunch which they ate in a small park nearby. It was getting towards the end of the day and they had looked all over. Rosette had fun and was sad it was coming to an end. It almost seemed that they were on a date; she just hoped that maybe he had gotten to like her more.

“Well is there anywhere else we haven’t looked?” he asked.

“Um, actually yes, just one place. It’s by the lake,” she said. He nodded and they headed over to the lake. There was a single house there. They were in charge of renting row boats to go out on the lake, but it was closed now and the family was inside and smoke was rising from the chimney.

“The last place. The things are you are looking for are always in the last place you look!” said Eric getting excited and they quickly made their way to the house. Eric knocked and soon it was opened by an elderly man.

“Yes?” he asked.

“Hi, we were just looking for a young girl,” said Eric,” she’s has a really lovely singing voice, and I think she has red hair.”

“Sorry, the only young lady here is my granddaughter,” said the man and indicating the young girl colouring at the table inside.

“Oh, okay,” said Eric.

“But it seems you’ve already got yourself a girl. I feel horrible you made your way all the way out here for nothing, how about you take a boat out,” he said.

“Oh, no it’s okay,” said Rosette but Eric cut her off.

“Thanks, we will,” he said and grabbed her arm and made their way over to the dock. Eric untied the boat and got in then waited for Rosette.

“Shouldn’t we be heading back to the palace?” she asked.

“Come on, get in the boat, it will be the perfect end to this,” he said. She sighed and carefully got in the boat. Eric started to paddle the boat into the middle of the lake.

“I’d just like to say thanks for coming with me,” he said as he stopped rowing and leaned towards her.

“But we didn’t find your girl,” said Rosette staring at him.

“Forget her for now. I really appreciate you doing this for me, and all for, the second piece of cake at my wedding,” he said laughing. Rosette just remained silent and looked around her at the lake.

“You don’t have to worry, you know,” he said after a while of him staring at her and her looking everywhere but at him. However, when he talked her eyes landed on him.

“What?” she asked confused.

“About when we get back to the palace, you won’t get in trouble,” he said.

“Oh, no I’m not worried. I’ve gotten in trouble before,” she said.

“Really? Like what?”

“Do you remember last week during dinner when it was entirely made up of huge whole fish?” she asked.

“Yeah, that was you? It was hilarious when everyone started eating with disturbed faces on,” he said.

“I was getting back at my father for putting a lobster in my bed,” she said.

“He put a lobster in your bed?” he asked shocked.

“We have this sort of on going war of practical jokes. But since the last thing I did jeopardized his job we had to stop.”

“But was it a live lobster? Are you okay? It didn’t pinch you or anything?”

“Oh, it was live, but no I noticed it before it got me,” she said.

“That’s good,” he said and smiled. She gave a sheepish smile and couldn’t help but notice his hair had fallen into his eyes. She reached up and brushed it off to the side.

“You might need a hair cut soon,” she said. He grabbed her hand before she pulled it away.

“Maybe you can do it,” he said softly.

“Sure,” she whispered. He leaned in closer until his lips met hers and she gasped and pulled away. Both of them were shocked and had wide eyes.

“I’m sorry,” he said.

“I thought you liked that other girl,” she said.

“I did- I mean, I do. But, it’s just. I don’t know, I’m so sorry I don’t know what happened. Please don’t read anything into that,” he said.

“Maybe we should go now,” said Rosette looking at her lap. Eric said nothing and rowed the boat back to shore. He thanked the old man and they made their way back to the palace.

They entered and soon they were bombarded with questions. Eric answered everything and while he was calming everyone down she made her escape to her room. She locked the door and just sat on her bed and tried to forget everything that had just happened.

“Rosette?” came a voice from the other side of the door. It was her father. She opened the door and looked at him.

“Yes?” she asked.

“You look upset. Did the Prince do something?” he asked.

“I’m fine, father, it’s been a long day and I would really like to sleep,” she said.

“Oh, well good night then,” he said and gave her a smile before closing the door and leaving.

Rosette sighed and got changed into her nightgown. She crawled into bed and tried to sleep but nothing was working. It was when her stomach grumbled that she noticed that she didn’t have dinner. Hoping that a full stomach would help her sleep, she made her way to the kitchen but was shocked to see someone else already up there.

“Prince?” she asked turning the lantern in the kitchen up higher. He jumped and turned around.

“Oh, Rosette, sorry, I was hungry and they said your father was done for the day,” he said putting an apple back on the pile.

“It’s your kitchen,” she said going over to the cooler and looking inside for something, “sit down, I’ll make us something.”

“Thanks,” he said sitting down in the chair and watching her as she pulled out some vegetables and started making a salad and roasting some potatoes.

“So you know how to cook?” he asked looking around the slightly messy kitchen.

“Yes, my father’s the chef. I would stay in here constantly and watch him. Picked up a few things,” she said turning the potatoes over.

“You must be a good chef then. Louis is pretty good,” he said.

“Pretty decent,” she said plating the salad and potatoes and bringing them over to the table and they dug into the food.

“I’d say more than pretty decent, this is fantastic,” he said after taking a few bites.

“Thanks,” she said and they continued eating. Once they finished she put the dishes in the sink and was about to leave when Eric stopped her.

“Can…can we talk. About what happened on the boat?” he asked. Rosette sighed and turned to face him.

“What happened?” she asked.

“No, I don’t want to forget about it,” he said.

“How can you not want to forget about it? You are searching for your future wife and in the middle of it you kiss your help? Unless you are beginning to stop searching for this girl and marry me, I think the only thing we can do is forget about it,” she said, “good night, prince.”

Eric slammed his fist on the table and groaned. He was confused. He really liked Rosette a lot, but this other girl…he just knew she was the one he wanted to marry. He had to keep searching, and leave Rosette out of it because things could only become more complicated between them. He sighed and left to go to bed after turning the lantern off in the kitchen.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for reading, I hoped you enjoyed it. Reviews are welcomed and appreciated.

-Charlotte