Would You Like Chips with That?

Part One

“No, no! Look behind you! There is a splatter right behind you!” exclaimed Michelle quite loudly.

“I know, I saw it. Ah ha! You shall become my friend,” said Stella as she moved her Wii mote and aimed at the splatter on the screen.

“Hey guys,” said Charlie walking into the room.

“Watch out for the thinner!” yelled Michelle.

“I know, let me play in peace,” said Stella.

“Guys!” cried Charlie and they both glanced at her before looking at the television once more.

“Yeah?” was both of their unison responses.

“I need chips,” stated Charlie. Stella continued to play as Michelle looked at the bag of
Doritos in her hands before holding it up to Charlie.

“Here.”

“No, not that kind. I mean fries,” she said rolling her eyes. Michelle brought the bag of Doritos back towards her and clutched it.

“Oh, yeah, you’re British. What are these?” asked Michelle holding a Dorito up, “Crisps?” she asked before putting it into her mouth.

“Yes,” said Charlie.

“So go get some,” remarked Stella who was still engrossed in her game.

“But I don’t want just any chips, I want good ones. Really good ones. Ones that will remind of the ones in England,” she said as she sat down in a nearby chair.

“Then go find some of them,” said Michelle who had turned her attention back to the television, “get that life!”

“Yes I know,” said Stella growing angry with Michelle.

“Please, can you help me? What else are you going to do? Play Epic Mickey all day? You’ve already beat it twice,” said Charlie becoming annoyed with her friends. Stella sighed and paused the game.

“Can I at least finish this area?” she asked and Charlie smiled and nodded.

._

“Store is up ahead,” said Michelle nodding in the direction of the store as they stood on the street corner.

“We have frozen ones at home. No I need freshly made chips,” said Charlie looking at her friends.

“Look, you said you wanted fries that remind you of England, right? Then let’s go to a pub. This street as at least two,” said Stella thinking about it logically.

“Good thinking,” said Michelle and they started walking down the street. They soon arrived at the pub and looked at the unfriendly and dark entrance. They glanced at each other before walking inside, Charlie in the lead.

The inside was dark with very few patrons inside since it was midday. They took a seat at the bar and looked around, feeling like the grime from the place was slowly moving towards them.

“What can I get you?” asked the bartender with a gruff, Scottish accent.

“Basket of chips,” answered Charlie.

“Which means a basket of fries,” translated Michelle. The bartender just looked at her with a raised eyebrow before heading into the back. Stella promptly shoved Michelle.

“He knows what chips she was referring to, he is Scottish,” she said.

“Sorry,” replied Michelle sarcastically, “I always mix that accent up with Irish. Charlie laughed and Stella rolled her eyes.

“Scottish or Irish, it doesn’t matter, both countries know chips are fries,” said Stella.

“I know, I was just saying I get the accents mixed up,” defended Michelle.

“Then why- you know what, never mind,” said Stella who turned away from Michelle and Charlie had a large smile on her face at her friends’ antics.

“Okay,” said Michelle before turning to look at Charlie, “so why the sudden desire for fries?”

“I don’t know. I’ve been craving them all week and finally I just couldn’t take it anymore,” she said with a shrug.

“I hate it when that happens,” said Michelle, “I always get cravings for caramel apples.”

“That’s a weird craving,” said Stella.

“Yep,” nodded Michelle while deeply thinking about it.

“I usually crave the usual: chocolate, ice cream, or string cheese,” said Stella who began folding a napkin in front of her.

“String cheese?” asked Charlie looking over at Stella.

“It’s just mozzarella cheese,” explained Michelle.

“No, I know what it is. It just doesn’t strike me as a usual craving for one to have,” she said.

“I guess it isn’t, but it is usual for me,” said Stella, shrugging.

“Well whatever is usual for you is unusual for the rest of us,” said Michelle now looking at the signs above the bar.

The bartender then returned and placed the basket of fries in front of Michelle who was sitting in the middle of them. They all leaned in and inspected the fries before Charlie picked one up and looked it over. They were thick cut with very little salt and still glistening with grease from the fryer. The other two watched as she took a bite and chewed before coughing.

“I knew it, poison!” exclaimed Michelle in a joking manner.

“No, they’re hot and dry,” said Charlie as she put the rest of the fry in her mouth then started looking around.

“So, it is a dry heat?” asked Stella taking a fry.

“I guess,” responded Charlie before getting up and grabbing some ketchup from an empty table behind them.

“Then… it is safe to say we haven’t found the ‘chips’ you were looking for, correct?” asked Michelle taking a fry. Charlie poured some ketchup out and dipped a fry in and took a bite before shaking her head.

“Definitely, no,” she said.

._

Leaving half the basket of fries left, they paid and stood outside of the pub and looked at each other.

“Where else has good fries?” asked Michelle.

“McDonald’s is down that way a few blocks,” said Stella as she looked down the street and then back at Charlie.

“Oh no! Those things have a half life of 0.2 seconds. Plus I’ve had them and I assure you, they are not what I am looking for,” she said.

“Maybe if we head downtown?” asked Michelle as she caught sight of a streetcar making its way toward them.

“Sure,” said Charlie with a shrug and they walked to the stop. The car arrived and they got on, each paying for their ride before finding three empty seats somewhat near each other.

They rode in silence. An elderly Asian lady with shopping bags stared at them. A kid nearby with head phones playing loud music was bobbing his head along with the beat. There were a group of girls to the side with boba drinks and texting someone on their mobiles. In the back they could hear some rowdy boys laughing loudly. Just a typical rid on public transportation.

Half an hour later, and seeing many different types of people come and go, they got off at their stop and headed up to the main street.

“So main shopping area. Bound to be good food here,” said Michelle as they moved to the side of the walkway so as to not block traffic. They were looking around trying to see if they could spot anywhere that sold fries.

“These are all fancy, Michelin star places,” said Stella looking at the other two.

“There is always the food court at the mall,” said Michelle who’s eyes were on the mall entrance across the street before turning to look at the others.

“Sure,” shrugged Charlie and they quickly made their way across the busy Market street, being mindful of the traffic and various homeless people and went into the upscale mall. Taking the escalator, they made their way to the lower levels of the mall where the food court was. They walked around and looked at the menus for the different places.

“A bit expensive, aren’t they?” asked Charlie as they stopped and looked up at one place that sold fries.

“This entire place is expensive,” said Michelle.

“This whole area is, aside from Old Navy, Ross , and the Disney Store,” said Stella. All three still gazing up at the menu.

“Well, it’s worth a shot. Split it three ways?” asked Charlie looking between the two for she was in the middle.

“Sure,” said the others while still looking up. They got in line and waited in silence.

“Some fries, please,” said Stella once they got to the front of the line. She was standing in the front so she ordered.

“Will that be all for you?” asked the cashier after pressing in the order.

“Yep,” answered Stella.

“Okay,” said the cashier as she totalled the order, “that’s going to be $8.75.” They each threw in three dollars and the cashier gave them back their change. They moved to a table and waited. They remained silent till their fries were brought forward. Stella grabbed them and sat down before they all just stared at them. These fries were thin cut and looked well seasoned with many spices.

“Just looking at them I know they are wrong,” said Charlie as she took one and put it in her mouth.

“Well for $8.75 we are eating them,” said Stella taking one as well.

“We’re not going to want dinner tonight are we?” asked Michelle after eating one.

“Nope. Not unless I find my chips soon,” said Charlie, eating another fry.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the story I wrote based off of a true story that I experienced this summer when I was desperately seeking authentic British chips. I have turned this into a script as well.

-Charlotte