Would You Like Chips with That?

Part Three

A waitress led the three girls to a table and they sat. She handed them their menus and left with a forced smile.

“All right, cheesy, tourist, seafood restaurant,” said Michelle opening her menu.

“Yay,” said Stella with heavy sarcasm.

“So the fish ‘n chips?” You’ll eat the fish, I’ll eat the chips?” asked Charlie glancing at her menu.

“Yes, I need something salty after that sweet milkshake,” said Stella closing her menu.

“Same here. It’s this weird thing that I do, when I have something sweet, I need something salty afterwards,” said Michelle placing her menu on top of Stella’s.

“That’s how I am. Not much of a sweet tooth,” said Stella.

“Not me, I have a big sweet tooth,” said Charlie closing her menu and placing it on top of the other two.

“Oh, we know, why do you think you get a lot of our candy on Halloween?” asked Michelle.

“Because…you don’t like those candies?” wondered Charlie, who really thought that was the reason.

“Well, that too,” said Michelle. Just then their waitress came over and pulled out her ticket pad.

“All right, what drinks shall I get you?” she asked, pen poised and looked over the girls.

“Three waters and one order of fish ‘n chips,” said Stella.

“Okay, I’ll be right back with your waters,” she said picking up the menus and walking away at a slightly fast pace.

“There is someone who loves her job,” said Charlie and Michelle snickered while Stella gave a large smile.

“Who wouldn’t love working here? Having people actually from Britain to come criticize your fish ‘n chips,” said Stella looking at Charlie.

“Hey, I’m only here for the chips,” she said in her defence.

“Criticize their chips then,” corrected Michelle.

“Exactly,” said Charlie nodding her head in agreement.

“Us Americans never get to do that,” said Michelle.

“Why?” asked Stella, not following her.

“Well, think about it. If we went to, say France, and got a hamburger, it would probably be way better then anything we can get here,” said Michelle.

“It’s all the butter,” said Charlie and the others nodded in agreement.

“If you could find a burger in France. Plus why on earth would you go to France and have a hamburger?” asked Stella looking at Michelle like she is crazy.

“I don’t know. Why would a Brit come to America and have fish ‘n chips?” asked Michelle shrugging her shoulders and looking at Charlie.

“Because I’m homesick for chips,” said Charlie defending herself.

“Well there you go,” said Michelle waving a hand towards Charlie and looking at Stella.

“How long are you in France before you get homesick for a burger?” said Stella, looking back at Michelle.

“I don’t know! I’m not going to France- you know what, never mind,” said Michelle about to get really frustrated but calming herself down. She crossed her arms and sunk down in her seat.

“Fine,” said Stella before playing with her napkin.

“Here are your waters,” said the waitress coming back and placing the three waters down.

“Thanks,” said Charlie before the waitress walked away. There was an awkward silence while Charlie took a sip of her water before looking at the two. “So, come here often?” she said, desperate to break the silence. They looked at her and just stared. “Right,” she said after a while.

._

The waitress walked out from the kitchen carrying the solo plate of fish ‘n chips and placing it on the table between the silent girls and have her forced smile once more.

“Will that be all for now?” she asked looking around at them.

“Yes, thank you,” said Charlie as politely as she could.

“Enjoy,” said the waitress before leaving to go to another table already pulling out her ticket pad and pen.

The girls stared at the fish ‘n chips for a few moments.

“Could they be any more greasy?” asked Michelle finally breaking their staring contest.

“I know, right?” said Stella picking up one battered fish and holding it up, “look at this!”

“Well I’m here for the chips anyway,” said Charlie reaching in and picking up a fry. She blew on it to cool it down before taking a bite and waving a hand at her face as she held her mouth open. The other two laughed at her.

“Hot?” asked Michelle laughing. Charlie quickly swallowed and glared at Stella.

“I thought it was cool enough to eat since you just picked the fish up with your bare fingers,” argued Charlie as she placed the half eaten fry on her napkin.

“I have a high tolerance for pain, and now my fingers are all greasy,” said Stella as she placed the fish on the edge of the plate and wiped her fingers on her napkin.

“Ew, you touched that. You are definitely eating it,” said Michelle keeping a good eye on the fish Stella just placed down.

“Yeah, yeah,” said Stella as she picked up her fork and stabbed the fish she touched and took a bite, “happy?”

“And don’t walk with your mouth full,” said Michelle turning away from Stella and stabbing her own piece of fish with a fork.

“Well these chips don’t do the trick, either,” said Charlie after finishing the rest of her fry.

“And what is the complaint this time?” asked Stella before finishing off her piece of fish.

“Way too greasy,” she answered. The others nodded and they continued to the glistening with grease food.

._

The girls were now in Ghirardelli Square looking out on the bay before looking at each other.

“Well where to now?” asked Michelle looking at Charlie who was thinking.

“I’m getting kind of full,” remarked Stella honestly.

“Yeah, me too,” said Charlie now looking up at them.

“Should we just head home?” asked Michelle somewhat unsure if she should ask. She looked at Stella before both looked at Charlie.

“Would probably be best. It’s getting late,” said Charlie. They paused before walking away.

._

To get home, the girls first took the cable care that had a stop at the Square and brought them all the way to the Financial District at Market and Powell. There thye went to the underground station and took the street car all the way to the stop where they had gotten on. They were about to head to their apartment when Charlie finally spoke up and stopped them.

“Wait,” she said and they turned and looked at her, “I have an idea.”

._

All three girls were in the kitchen on their apartment gathered around the stove watching something cook with the sounds of deep frying.

“Are they done, yet?” asked Michelle looking at them.

“Er,” said Charlie as she checked, “yes,” she said and she began to remove them from the oil and Stella immediately tossed a bit of salt on them.

“Let’s hope these are the ones,” said Stella as Michelle grabbed a plate and some napkins.

They moved to the sofa and in front of the television and stared at the plate of chips. Charlie reached out and took one. The other two followed suit and all at once they each ate their chips. Charlie burst out laughing and the others began to laugh as well.

“I thought you said you were a good cook,” said Michelle looking at her limp chip.

“Well I’ve never made chips before. I thought I could, but apparently I can’t,” she said still chuckling.

“Neither can we,” said Stella taking another limp chip, “so we can eat the bad chips together and never try it again.”

“Agreed,” said Michelle taking another limp chip as well. Charlie wiped her fingers off on a napkin.

“It’s my turn to play Epic Mickey next!” she shouted and grabbed the Wii mote and turned the Wii on.

“But I was playing,” said Stella who was still chewing on her chip.

“Again with the talking with your mouth full,” said Michelle who had just swallowed her chip.

“Like you don’t have worst habits,” said Stella taking another chip. Charlie just smiled and started her game of Epic Mickey.

The end.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for reading. Comments are welcomed.

-Charlotte