Fantasies

Fourteen; Hotel Rooms

Brian

Loud hip hop music played from behind me. I had soon enough made it background ground noise as I watch Darlie. She moved to every step. She's somehow having fun. I don't get her anymore. One minute she's almost dying, the next she's dancing her heart out. Maybe it's how she copes with these kinds of things.

I don't know, maybe she's just weird like that.

Johnny got lost again. The boy can get lost in his own home. But we found him in a Chinese restaurant. I could have sworn he was crying.

"Common', Brian!" Darlie yelled. She took me hand and danced beside me. I'm not a dancer, never have been. I find all her moves pretty amazing but I just can't even try. I have two left feet, I guess. Besides, the fact that there's a bunch of passer by's starring at us doesn't make my 'moves' any better.

I moved my feet in 'marching' ways and Darlie laughed.

"It's not funny. And it's not my fault I wasn't born like you. You ninja person!"

She giggled at my words and I rolled my eyes. The music stopped and people started applauding. She took her hat off and people started throwing money in it. I looked at her, not really knowing what to think. If there's one thing we have, it's money.

But she somehow thinks that having a little extra would be good. That'd be okay if she wasn't making the fact that she needs money so obvious.

Everyone walked away and Darlie smiled at the man with the stereo.

"Alright, no more games. We need a hotel."

"A hotel? Don't you need a credit card for that?" she asked, eyes opened wide.

"No, dummy," I said, poking her forehead with my index finger, "You can also pay in cash." She smiled and we all walked in search for a hotel. A cheap hotel. Though we have money, we don't want people to know who we are and if we wanted that, expensive hotels would be the way to go.

We walked into a motel that looked abandoned. Darlie's eyes widened in shock as she looked at me, "Really?" she asked.

"Yup."

We walked in and there was no one in sight. We stood in front of the counter, ringing the bell. We heard some foot steps coming from the back and a man finally appeared.

"How many rooms?"

"Three."

"Three?!" Johnny asked, "There's five of us."

"I'm staying with Darlie. You're staying with Matt because I already know you. Zach is a big boy so he can stay by himself."

"No, I'll stay by myself." Darlie interrupted.

"No, you have to stay with me."

"Brian, I'm a big girl. I can stay by myself. No one is going to kidnap me." Darlie insisted. I groaned and paid the man. We took our keys and started walking towards the steps.

"Um, and hun! People do disappear in this hotel. I think you should know that it's not always our fault." the man behind the counter smiled. Darlie rolled her eyes and walked up the stairs in front of us.

We got to the hallways. The paint on the walls had chipped, it was in need of a repair. Darlie got to her room and unlocked the door. She pushed it so it would open, "Ew." she said.

I walked in behind her, "Brian, you're not sharing a room with me!"

"Why?"

"Because, I'm getting old and I'm not a child anymore. It would look wrong."

"Darlie, I'm trying to protect you, not...you know."

She rolled her eyes and shut the door in my face. Teenagers, I thought to myself. I walked into Zach's room which had one bed and another that pulled out from under. Zach was already on the top so I didn't want to bother.

"We should get rest, man. It's almost eight."

I nodded and covered myself with my sheets.