Fantasies

Forty-Six; Tell Me It's Over

Darlie

"Alright, so this is what we've been waiting for." I whispered to myself as Vergario made his way over. He smiled as if he had finally accomplished everything. I grip onto my gun tightly, breathing in and trying hard not to blink. He walked slowly, his expensive dress shoes making an annoying noise with each and every step he took.

"You finally show up, you look a lot tougher than you did the first time I met you."

"Well I was younger and stupid then."

"Yeah, you were. But you've always been pretty." Oddly, these words didn't sound perverted, just filled with hate. I sighed, shivers coming up and down my arms.

"I want to know what it is that you want from me. And what do you want from Brian, Matt, and Zach?"

"It's weird that you came by yourself. You know, I have a gun too. The difference is that I'm actually a well-trained gunman."

"Answer the question, Vergario!"

"You want to know why? Alright, it's because you were a real easy target. You're one of those girls who thinks that nothing bad can ever happen to you. That you rule the world. So this was unexpected and you were easy to catch."

"But, why? Why did you do this? To Brian, I mean."

"I have my reasons."

"Yeah, and I want to know why."

"Well," he started, making his way closer to me, "Brian and I go way back." he smiled as he said this, looking away.

"What do you mean? Brian had never met you before."

"Well, that's what he thinks. You're an adult now, have a seat." he sat on the cement floor and took his jacket off. I'd never seen him without a black trench coat. Either way, he was always wearing a suit underneath.

"Well?"

"Well, Brian’s father was my partner over twenty years ago. He always took credit for our cases, even if I was the one who would put my life on the line. I hated working with him. In fact, I asked plenty of times to be given a different partner that I can get along with. After a while, he threatened me. He said that if I even dared to switch partners, he’d make sure that he makes me lose my job. I loved what I did, I just didn’t love who I did it with.”

“So, you chose Brian because of his father?”

“I’m not there yet.”

I made sure I held my gun’s grip tightly, not wanting him to think I was being vulnerable, “Continue.” I said.

“Well, I gave in and listened to what he was telling me. I was terrified of losing my job. Finally, we were given a case. It was the most difficult one because I realized that the man we were after was my biological father. I always knew his name, thanks to my mother. But I never wanted to find him. I didn’t want to tell anyone that he was my father. But I ended up spilling while drunk. Sadly I spilled to Brian’s father, Bill. He used this against me. He knew they wouldn’t let us work on the case if I said I was related to the man. So he threatened me once more. Finally, Bill found where he was and decided to catch up with him before he ran again. He was at my ex-wife’s house. My son was there as well. My son knew why my father was there, but he was determined to keep him safe because he had just met his grandfather. We arrived at the house and Bill broke the door open. He pointed his gun at my father. My son came out at the same time, gun in his hand and eyes glued to Bill. I screamed his name and he looked at me, Bill shot my son and I ran towards him. I took my gun out and pointed it at Bill. He shot my arm quickly, I screamed as I watched him shoot my father as well. My wife came out screaming. He hit me over the head with the gun and I fainted. I found out later in the hospital that he had killed my wife. After that, I was determined to kill him. All I knew was that he was a secretive man and that he lived somewhere in San Diego. So I started looking into everything. I started healing and was soon on the job once more. On our first case after the incident, I shot him and covered it up, making it seem as if it was an accident.”

“You killed my father?” Brian came out, gun pointing straight towards Vergario. I took a deep breath, not knowing what to do. I for some reason understood why he was doing this to Brian, but still have no idea why it’s really happening to me.

“Brian, did you hear the entire thing?” I asked.

“What? He killed my father, Darlie.”

“Your father killed his family, Brian. And there was no reason to.”

“If a gun was pointed towards you, would you not shoot?” I pointed my gun at Brian, letting tears escape.

“Brian, I love you but you need to put your gun down, this isn’t right.”

His eyes widened, his grip on the gun grew tighter and his face turned red.

“W-what are you doing, Darlie? Don’t believe what he’s saying. He wants to bring us apart so everything is easier for him.”

“Brian, just put the gun down and let’s all talk.” I stood in front of Vergario, trying to suck in the tears. Everyone else came out, guns in their hands, all pointed at me.

“Darlie, he’s lying to you. I knew my father. He’d never do such a thing.”

“But he did, Brian.” Vergario spoke.

“Shut up!” I yelled towards him, “It’s enough I’m trying to prevent you from getting killed.”

“Darlie, he killed Johnny!” Brian screamed. I slowly dropped my gun, letting them all start moving closer. I felt a hand from behind me move under my arm, a gun was held to my head.

“It seems to me you’re still young and stupid, Darlie.” Vergario whispered in my ear.

“Why did you choose me, Vergario?” I asked, sucking up the tears.

“Darlie, remember Mr. Davis? He really did love you. He wanted you. So did I, Darlie.” he whispered into my ear, breathing heavily.

“Why did you choose me?”

“Because, you seemed easy, but you’re a lot tougher than you look. So, Mr. Davis and I had an agreement. If I used you to help me get to Brian, I’d let him do whatever he wanted to you. But I already knew that Brian was on the move so he didn’t have time, sadly. But I’m sure Brian’s taken care of you already.”

“Brian’s been professional.”

“Yeah, well, I don’t believe you. You both seem to have a connection. Or, had since you sort of pointed a gun at him.”

“Yeah, trying to protect both of you.”

“If you say so.”

“But, why did you kill Mr. Davis?”

“Because he was of no use to me anymore, sort of like you.”

“D-did you make up that entire story from before? Bill didn’t really kill your family, right?”

“I might have exaggerated, but he did kill my family. Well, say your goodbyes, Darlie, you’re the first to go.”

He held the gun close to me. I saw everyone standing in front of me. Everyone except Zach. I closed my eyes tightly, apologizing to Brian and everyone else repeatedly. I felt as Vergario almost pulled the trigger, Brian screaming as Matt attempted to hold him back. I closed my eyes again but was pushed to the ground. Vergario was shot repeatedly on the back and the trigger was pulled, I was shot in my stomach. Everything started becoming blurry. I started crawling toward Brian who was shot in the arm because of the multiple bullets.

“D-Darlie, stay with me, okay?”

Ambulance noises where heard coming from around us. Cops were the ones that shot Vergario. Zach came back, holding me close to him.

“Please tell me it’s over.” I whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter is the last chapter! I THINK I'LL CRY. But please comment. I think I'm going to update today. I just want at least one comment!