Status: Active

I'm Swallowed by the Sky

Prologue

The chirpy ringtone on my phone broke through the solid dream world. I groaned and groped around in the dark for my phone and pressed it to my ear.

“This better be good.” I mumbled into the receiver expecting Jenny to be on the other line begging for a ride home.

“Is this Madison Matassas? This is Dirk Mai, I’m trying to get in touch with her about a internship application she sent me.” I shot up in the bed muttering obscenities.

“Dirk! Hi! Sorry! I’m Madison, the internship, you were saying?” His laughter echoed through the receiver.

“Yeah, you got it. You can’t take naps in the middle of the day on tour though!” I wanted to dance, to throw a party, to lose my shit right there but I couldn’t.

“I sometimes cover shifts for a friend and last night just so happened to be her 10pm-7am shift. You’re right though, never going to happen again.” This was turning into the most awkward conversation in the whole fucking world and I knew it.

“Cool. Quit the job. You have a new one now. We need you in Los Angeles ten days from now. Think you can swing it?”

“Fuck yeah. Are you serious? This is the roadie tech job right? I can’t even think. Oh god.” I said pushing my bangs out of my face.

“That would be the one. Of course I’m serious! You know your way around a camera. There’s an advancement opportunity but for right now, lets focus on this.” Dirk said laughing again. I could barely contain myself.

“I can’t believe this. I’ll be there. Of course. So, October 27 I need to meet you....?”

“At the airport. I’ll have a cheesy sign and everything. It’ll be awesome. You’ll see.” I laughed at the image of awkward looking Dirk Mai standing in an airport with my name on it.

“Awesome. Okay. I think I need to go...to make plans.”

“You’re going to go back to sleep aren’t you?” He asked teasingly.

“Probably. I’ll try though. I’ll email you the time I get in and everything, is there anything I need to bring specifically?”

“Camera, bag, clothes, money, passport. The usual crap you would take on a trip. We’ll figure out how to get everything else here later on.” I smiled at the ceiling in my dark room. My god, this was happening.

“Thanks Dirk. I’ll call or something later.” I said pressing end on the Blackberry and throwing it on the bed.

My nerves were frazzled. I sighed and walked through the tiny apartment to the kitchen, flipping the switch on the coffee pot on.

My laptop sat on the counter behind me. I touched the mouse pad and it hummed to life, my email already pulled up, consequently enough, I’d been looking for the very email that would give me the news of my new job. Dirk had already sent me more info on the tour, omitting one little detail.

Who was I going to help him photograph for a two and half months?
♠ ♠ ♠
Pajamas

Hey! It's my first story in almost a year. Wow. So, if you like where it's going you can subscribe or comment. If you have any suggestions for the story or layout or anything feel free to message me or comment. Thank you so much for reading!
Darian