‹ Prequel: Heartland
Status: Active-ish?

Two Breaths Walking

Capitolo uno

There are always happy endings.
That’s what Ares believed.
As a child, he read stories about princesses, children, animals, unicorns, dragons, and princes. He read Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks, and other stories a like. But there was one story he loved. It wasn’t popular, it wasn’t unknown, and it wasn’t made by him or his parents nor bought in a foreign land. It was special.

“Mom, I have someone I like!”

“Good for you.”

It was a story about a girl, waking up in a land of dreams. He liked her from the moment he saw her in the storybook. But when he grew up, he forgot all about it. He hid all the things and toys from his childhood and focused on his friends. He was old for it, he said so he pushed them away. But no one is old for fairy tales.

“Ares, where are you taking those toys and books?”

“Somewhere no one will see these.”


Then, peculiar but still interesting dreams came.
There were always the infinite rolling hills, lush green grass, the tall trees, and a girl sitting under the first tree you could find. Somehow, the girl looked familiar but he shrugged it off.

“Hi, I’m Caroline.”

“I’m Ares.”


At first, she was vivid and full of color. She was cheerful and it made him smile seeing her even if it was a dream. But everyday, little by little, her colors started to fade.

Until one time, the usual smile on her face was gone and she was black and white.
In front of him, she slowly started to fade into dust. She placed her index finger on her lip and her right index finger on his lip, and brought those two together.

“Have you learned your words yet?”

And she faded away.