We Found Love in a Hopeless Place

1/3

“What do you want for Christmas, babe?”

“Just spending time with you is all I want.” The girl with the auburn colored hair wrapped her arms around the tall boy's arm, resting her head against his shoulder. He responded by kissing her cheek.

I looked away, fearing they would notice me staring at them. I couldn't help it though. They were right in front of me, all lovey-dovey on a bench. They looked so good together, it made me sick to my stomach.

“Everyone seems to be in love, but me.” I murmured to myself.

This wasn't the first couple I've seen today. They were about the fifth out of many scavenging the malls today. Have you ever seen all these couples and suddenly felt lonely? I was feeling like that. I wasn't desperate for a boyfriend, but it would be nice to know if someone liked you.

“You wanna be in love?” I jumped and turned to see Riley, a boy I barely knew from my class. He was trying hard not to smile.

“Are you eavesdropping on me?” I demanded.

“No. I just happen to be passing by.” He patted his black hair before stuffing his hands in the pockets of his dark blue hoodie. “I'm here buying Christmas presents for my family and you're here sulking about wanting to be in love.”

“Sorry,” I ran a hand through my long dark hair. I guess I have been talking out loud. “I'm running into these couples everywhere.”

He studied me for a moment before finally saying, “Your name is Leigh right?”

I smiled, pretty surprised that the most popular kid in my class knew my name. “Yeah.”

“Why don't you come with me then?”

I stared at him, trying to figure out what he meant. “Huh?”

“Why don't you just come Christmas shopping with me? You know, so you don’t feel alone about seeing all these couples everywhere?”

“You're making me sound like I'm desperate!” I protested.

“Who says I'm asking you to be my girlfriend?” He shrugged. “I'm basically doing you a favor.”

I gritted my teeth and replied, “Fine.”

It was so odd that a comment I made seeming out loud in a mall had gotten us walking around together.

“So, why are you all alone at the mall?” He inquired, obviously looking at me as if I were a social outcast.

“Same as you. I'm going Christmas shopping.”

“Perfect! We have the same goal!” He walked into a store called “Urban Outfitters” and began staring at the hats that were laid out in the shelves by the door. I had no choice but to follow him in. I nearly chuckled to myself, is this how it's like to be a boyfriend?

“Did you find a present for your girlfriend yet?”

“Girlfriend?” He turned to me and furrowed his eyebrows. “What girlfriend?”

“You don't have a girlfriend?” I replied dumbly.

“No? Who told you that?”

“I just assumed that - “

“Assuming can get you killed.”

I opened my mouth and proceeded to argue back, but instead I gave a sheepish smile.

“By the way, what did you assume?” Apparently, he wasn't finished with the subject just yet.

“Everyone thinks you're good looking,” I said awkwardly. “and I thought you might have been dating someone.”

“Really?” Riley raised his eyebrows in genuine surprise. “Do you think so too?”

“Who said it was my opinion? I just said - “ I stopped suddenly, noticing a particular hat sitting on the shelf, from the corner of my eye. “Whoa,” I murmured in awe, picking up the wool hat. It was shaped like cookie monster's head, with long blue tassels hanging to the the side. I picked it up and put it on my head. “This is so cute and soft!” I ran over the mirror and smiled. “Whoa! I just might buy this!” I caught Riley's reflection in the corner of the mirror and turned around.

At that moment, I felt really bad that I had forgotten that he was standing there, but he didn't seem to show any sign of annoyance. He just simply stared at the hat on my head, then his eyes met mine.

“Don't just stare, say something.”

Riley finally opened his mouth and replied, “You're buying Christmas presents for yourself?”

“What? N-No!” I sputtered. “I just thought this hat was cute and - !”

“I'm joking, you look cute.”

I felt my cheeks flush. This was the first time in a while that someone called me cute. This is the first time ever that a guy called me cute. This was coming from one of the cutest guys in class.

“Are you blushing?”

“No!”

Riley smiled and picked up a black beanie, murmuring, “My brother would like this.”

I stared at Riley for a split second before walking quickly to the cashier. I got in line and clutched the hat, pressing the soft fabric between fingertips.

I can't believe Riley called me cute.

I can't believe he even asked me to hang out with him.

I can't -


I had no real interest in Riley previously. All I knew was that he sat across from me in the classroom, surrounded by girls who liked him and guys who thought it was cool. His good looks naturally caught everyone's attention. His hair wasn't spiked or eye catching, it was flat on his head, a little past his ears. I believe that everyone is attracted to his face, because it resembled a baby's, along with that gleaming smile of his.

He has humor too. He's the only one in our class who can imitate Mickey Mouse perfectly and incorporate it into a silly rap song.

I found myself blushing, something I haven't done in a while. I looked over at Riley again, who was occupied with the rest of the beanie selection. I felt my heart pounding.

Why do I suddenly have this weird feeling in my stomach?

“Did you buy it?” He asked, eying the bag in my hands, after I had paid for my hat.

“I did!”

“That's great.” He scratched his head. “I bet if you wear it to school, more boys would probably be all over you.”

“Excuse me?” I cried in disbelief. “More?”

“You don't realize it, but you're popular among boys, Leigh.”

“Seriously?” My mouth fell open, because this was such big news to me. Every day in school, no boy would even glance in my direction and now I'm being told that a lot of them like me? This was unbelievable to the highest level, but the way Riley looked, it seemed like it wasn't lying at all. “How come none of them has ever told me?”

“Maybe they're shy,” He shrugged. “I know one guy who really likes you, but he's scared to ask you out.”

“Why?”

“Um....let's see,” He started to tap his chin. “People think he's strange and he barely knows you.”

“Do I know him?”

“Yeah you do. He's in your class.”

“Which one?”

“Biology.”

“Who is it? Can I guess? Darren? John? David?” My voice got higher and more desperate, as I began to talk faster, literally listing off names.

“No. No. No.” He gave me a mischievous smile. “I don't wanna tell you.”

“Why not?”

“Because he's afraid of rejection.”

“Who says I'll reject him?”

“Hmm,” Riley smiled again and looked at his phone. “Oh.”

“What's wrong?”

“My time with you is up. I have to go because my mom's already in the parking lot. Do you need a ride home?”

“No! I'm good. My mom's coming in an hour anyway!” A part of me wanted to say yes, but another part of me felt too awkward to be in his car with him and his mom.

“Alright then,” He shrugged. “I guess I'll see you in class then.”

“Wait!” The word escaped my mouth without fully being aware of it.

“If you're gonna bug me to tell you who it is...”

“No! It's not that!”

Riley turned and stared at me. I wanted to say ,

“I don't you want you to leave.”

Instead I said, “Um. Never mind.”

“Hey I think I like you.”

“Alright, bye Leigh.”

“Bye Riley.”

“Wait.”

“Oh!”

“Yeah?”

“Um...I'll see you in class!” Riley gave me a curious look for a second and walked away.

All this time I thought about how I wanted to chase after him and tell him to come back.

All this time I began to wonder why.